Quantcast

plz help fast! i need a tool to merge html files!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi, sorry to post this in the lounge but i got this problem.

i have like 1200 files in html that i need to copy and paste some info from into excel. since opening, copying, pasting each of them would take me forever, i was wondering if somebody knows any program that can merge all those files into a single html, so that i can just copy and paste once????

thanks

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's easy if you want to merge the actual HTML of the files. Are you merging the HTML tags, or are you trying to merge the output of the HTML (i.e. what the user sees on a webpage)?

If you want to merge the HTML of the files, go Start/Run, type "command" and hit enter to bring up a command prompt. Navigate to the directory that contains your html files. Then do this:

type *.html > NewHTMLFileName.html

Badda-bing.

edit: Or do what Splat said if it's UNIX; I assume it's not, though :p

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
It's easy if you want to merge the actual HTML of the files. Are you merging the HTML tags, or are you trying to merge the output of the HTML (i.e. what the user sees on a webpage)?

If you want to merge the HTML of the files, go Start/Run, type "command" and hit enter to bring up a command prompt. Navigate to the directory that contains your html files. Then do this:

type *.html > NewHTMLFileName.html

Badda-bing.

edit: Or do what Splat said if it's UNIX; I assume it's not, though :p

unix?? nope.
i want to merge all output of the html (the webpages that i see on screen) into a single one. so that i can copy and paste.
or, import all those 1200 to excel at once.

more help?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
unix?? nope.
i want to merge all output of the html (the webpages that i see on screen) into a single one. so that i can copy and paste.

more help?
Heh.

Good luck with that. I've got no answers. I've got serious doubts about the existance of a tool like that.

What's wrong with doing what I said above, opening that new HTML file (so you can see the output), and copy and pasting that into a new file or directly into Excel?

The new file contains all of the markup of the old files, so it should give you every file's "output" all in one page. Might take a while to load, though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Install Cygwin - then you'll be able to do all those Unix-y things in Windows. :thumb:
Or, you can do a lot of the useful unix-y things in Windows with a command prompt, natively, without installing other applications. :p

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
ALEXIS_DH said:
unix?? nope.

more help?
You are f***ed. Go buy a dozen espressos and start cutting and pasting...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
BV's method seemed to work very well for me. I don't know why you wouldn't just use that. I just merged 70 or so files and got the output on the same screen. Took all of about 30 seconds(mostly navigating in DOS, but not hard at all)