Quantcast

PNW DH Racing

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
So what's the deal with DH racing in the PNW? The last year I raced was '03, busted myself up at Squilchucker pretty good, and called it a season. Sold off my last DH bike in Feb. of '05 so I've been bikeless for a while. I know Round and Round went to hell and only does XC and 24 hour races anymore. Just picked up my bike today, found an '03 Banshee Scream that I plan on freeriding. Far from a DH race bike but it should suffice if I ever get back into racing, that is if there are any races available. What's left out there?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i think they are planning on having the snow race this year. Also got word at my shop from a steven's employee that they are most likely opening for lift service next summer so if that happens there will be dh events up there for sure. Other then that there is the Beacon Blowout, Skibowl series, Island cup, phat wednesdays, and maybe some othr local stuff will come together

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
^ only 3 chairlifts will be open, but ill believe it ONLY when i see it. tyhe stevens snow race will be for sure this year again, and yea in the spring is beacon, mt hood, willamette. . . whistler

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Wow, Stevens eh? I was talkin to a guy at a local shop last week and we were discussing how cool it would be if Stevens would open something up. I would spearhead a volunteer group if that's what it takes to get a bike park up there, that would be sick. I don't understand why all the tree huggers think it's bad to be out in the hills enjoying ourselves, but maybe we can change that.

I might do Spokane next spring, but as far as the WIM series there's nothing left, correct?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
^ only 3 chairlifts will be open, but ill believe it ONLY when i see it. tyhe stevens snow race will be for sure this year again, and yea in the spring is beacon, mt hood, willamette. . . whistler
Three chairlifts running up there would be 3X more lifts than are currently in action around here in the summer. As usual, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Wasn't it this time last year that Crystal was the big rumour as far as lift riding goes?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Three chairlifts running up there would be 3X more lifts than are currently in action around here in the summer. As usual, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Wasn't it this time last year that Crystal was the big rumour as far as lift riding goes?
bent^biker and his shop got the info from a little birdie (meaning a stevens employee) but again we'll see what happens, im certainly not gonna get excited until i see those lifts moving with no snow on the hills

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
ohhhh who called it
i posted on this like 3 months ago.... heard it from an employee
thanks for verifying this though! its awesome news!

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I heard through another birdie that Steven's Reps were up in Whistler learning from the pros on how to operate a bike park. The same birdie told me that there was no representation from the Summit. This didn't surprise me. Someone could build a private bike park with one lift right at their back door and there could be lines a mile long for their one run and The Summit wouldn't get the importance of it. They just don't get it. If Steven's comes through on this, we should give them our ski days as well. They'd have deserved it. Peace!

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
They would make so much money running a lift or 2 in the summer at Stevens. The terrain would be excellent, although they don't have dense forest through most of the hill. To be honest, Mission Ridge has a much better hill for biking with the new high speed quad, but we'll take what we can get.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I am not holding my breath.
But... if this is true they are already making one of the same mistakes The Pass did. They are not advertising. How can you make money if people don't know you are offereing a service?
If they plan on opening they need to get flyers out to every shop, get the mailing lists from NORBA, OBRA, IMBA, BBTC and anyone else that has lists of potential customers.

One potential problem I see with Stevens is the terrain. This isn't from a riding perspective but from a money making perspective. It will be great for DH trails but what about the ma an pa's and families and such? That was always a problem with the Pass. There was only so many ways to get from the top to the bottom and they usually weren't for the timid.
If Stevens can find a way to build a good portion of beginner and intermediate trails they will be better able to build a base of riders that can prgress or have trails they want ot ride again and again.
I heard through another birdie that Steven's Reps were up in Whistler learning from the pros on how to operate a bike park. The same birdie told me that there was no representation from the Summit. This didn't surprise me. Someone could build a private bike park with one lift right at their back door and there could be lines a mile long for their one run and The Summit wouldn't get the importance of it. They just don't get it. If Steven's comes through on this, we should give them our ski days as well. They'd have deserved it. Peace!

rowee5

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
Send letters, email, phone calls etc to Steven's Pass. Tell them at Steven's Pass how much a Bike Park would mean to Washington State. I just sent an email to info@stevenspass.com telling them how much this state needs a bike park and how discussions like these are occuring on message boards on a regular basis.

They probably already have ideas of what they would want to do, but hearing from the ones that would use it is quite valuable, in my opinion. Make suggestions of what you'd like to see and what you think it would take to be successful. The only way they are going to know there is a demand for this is to hear it from people like us. The sooner we start letting them know the better.

I suggested they not only have DH trails, but riding clinics & classes for newcomers, bike rentals etc. Add horseback riding, XC trails, hiker only trails, zip-lines etc and it will become a summertime destination for families as well as mountain bikers.

So the bottom line is: let them know there is a demand, which for them means $$$

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i am glad the island series was mentioned. the races are held on vancouver island. these races start early in the season, round early april and the courses are amazing! they are really worth the drive and they are very fun to do!

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
and on the note about lifts in the pnw. i really hope that a lift opens, stevens would be pretty decent, maybe crystal. but i've already sent multiple e-mails to the resorts over the years. just keep em sending! i think once they realize they can make some coin doing it they will see our way.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
It takes many years for a ski resort to make money in the summer, which is one of the reasons, resorts around here are hesitant about running summer activities. You have to commit to a loss for the first couple of years, before you start making a profit, and thats not even guaranteed.
In the summer, it costs Whistler $2000 an hour to keep both chairs running. When you think about a 10 hour day, thats $20,000 dollars to run the bike park. Fortunately, Whistler has the support of the riders, and good winter revenue to help float the summer.

For a smaller mountain like Stevens, they are without a dought, going to run a loss for the first couple of years, until they get a number of trails in there. However you have to start somewhere, and I could see it being popular and well supported from the get go......if it happens.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
pics? And cost info please. I'm trying to get this all planned and budgeted and stuff
all the races i've been to have been amazing. the courses are so nice they are mostly technical type courses, because thats mainlywhat vancouver island has for trails, plus its such a cool thing to see how so many riders get together and have a good time.

thats my brother at the port alberni race

heres me at the Nainamo race

the website is
http://www.arrowsmithmtbclub.com/

they will have updates when it gets closer to the season

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
bump...

and about blackrock, would those trails be raceable? Seems like a pretty sweet deal you guys have down there.