Quantcast

PNW epic rides

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I'm going to be quiting work here in a few weeks, about a month before school starts. In that time I want to be on my bike as much as possible. I've ridden sst, galbraith, and jappanese gultch quite a bit so I am looking to branch out.

On my hit list so far:

Kacheas Ridge
Syncline
Devil's Gultch
Chuckanut ridge/blanchard

If you have another epic to recommend (does not have to be strict dh/fr but gravity is appreciated) or a comment about one of the above that would be awesome. Also, if you would like to be part of the epic, drop me a pm and I'll give you some dates and times and stuff.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
None of those really qualify for the "epic" brand IMHO but that's me.
Plus, the good ones are the ones you have to pedal for. Flip over to mtbr for the epic rides. People keep asking and they keep posting. Chikamin Ridge, Pot Peak, Cuttthroat Pass, Cooney Lake, Klone Peak, Basalt Ridge, Ape Canyon, Dungeness River/Gold Creek, Blue Buck/Starvation. The big ones with big descents.

Make a road trip out of it and hit as many as possible. You can do a shuttle weekend off 410 and hit Palisades, Ranger, and Deep on the one side and then Sun Top on the other. Free camping at the airstrip too. Hit Huckleberry on the way home for some old school gnarl.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
that 410 trip looks sweet, a buddy of mine is doing that same route next weekend

edit: those all shuttleable?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
well Japanese gultch is soon to be the new SST when Stephen, Dylan, and I (and anyone else willing to help) are finished!

It probly wont be in competition with SST till next summer at this rate (2 guys a day...) but, it sure has become fun!

Sorry for the thread jacking...back on topic.

EDIT: P.S. Stephen, are you going to college or something? How is it you can quit in a few weeks and still not have school for a month? (I have no clue how old/what grade you are...)

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
thread jacking always welcome....I hear much of the gultch...how far from b'vue is that....and Andy, I have been there for some of those days and I agree, it is an epic ride.....300ft at a time :)

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
thread jacking always welcome....I hear much of the gultch...how far from b'vue is that....and Andy, I have been there for some of those days and I agree, it is an epic ride.....300ft at a time :)
your up late for a man with 2 kid's and married !!! how are you doing hear your almost ready to ride again. did you sell your bikes too since you had surgery ??? anyways hurry up lets ride!!!

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
well Japanese gultch is soon to be the new SST when Stephen, Dylan, and I (and anyone else willing to help) are finished!

It probly wont be in competition with SST till next summer at this rate (2 guys a day...) but, it sure has become fun!

Sorry for the thread jacking...back on topic.

EDIT: P.S. Stephen, are you going to college or something? How is it you can quit in a few weeks and still not have school for a month? (I have no clue how old/what grade you are...)

senior year, this year
next year, hes goin to either air force academy, western, or university colorao boulder

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
that 410 trip looks sweet, a buddy of mine is doing that same route next weekend

edit: those all shuttleable?
The 410 stuff is. And a couple others if you know the right way. But, shuttling XC trails is lame. (There, I said it.)

The best way to do the 410 set is to have 1 rig with all the bikes and each person sits out a lap so that the rig is at the bottom every time you get down. No, lame-o waiting around to rally back and get cars, etc. Just run up, ride down. If you have 4 in the car, each gets 3 descents in a cycle.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Most people around here would like to descend Deep Creek Trail off 410, but at last report it was the only trail around that area that hasn't been logged. 2 reasons...

Mt. bikers have logged all the trails around there open to bikes, the forest service doesn't have money to send their men out to clear trails. So it might not even get cleared this year because the storm caused alot of damage. And the trail is really steep, clearing huge trees off of that trail is super hard and likely dangerous.

So unless those guys have cleared it or the forest service has gotten out there to clear it....

Ranger Creek is clear and alot of people like that trail since after a point it's pretty much all downhill.

Both of those trails are on the BBTC website on the Trail Wiki. Look em up and buy maps and a compass. Ask a few questions from people that have been there and you'll be gold.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
go ride tres amigos in leavenworth the veiws are definitly epic, if you like to huck, go to ribbed. also in leavenworth ask about the dukes of hazard jump.the guys @ das rad hous will help you out with anything you need while you are there.
ranger creek is kinda fun it is 7 miles of not quite downhill, great fun on a hardtail with the gf in tow trail.
alos try and get out to port angeles and joyce great shuttlable trails.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Honestly if you want "epic" downhill/freeride then just skip all of Washington and head up to BC and the North Shore. If you've never ridden up there then you are truely missing out on some of the most amazing trails anywhere. You can shuttle some of them; Seymour, Cypress, Vedder(not really on the North Shore but not far away) and hike the others; Fomme, Woodlot. There's even more than what I just mentioned but those are the big, popular spots. Oregon also has some great riding at Post Canyon and Black Rock but the most bang for your buck is in BC.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
The 410 stuff is. And a couple others if you know the right way. But, shuttling XC trails is lame. (There, I said it.)

The best way to do the 410 set is to have 1 rig with all the bikes and each person sits out a lap so that the rig is at the bottom every time you get down. No, lame-o waiting around to rally back and get cars, etc. Just run up, ride down. If you have 4 in the car, each gets 3 descents in a cycle.
Ditto...

If you haven't don it, go ride Devil's Gulch. I wouldn't call it an epic, but for DH oriented folks (you can count me in that category) it will wear you out. Pedal up the singletrack to the top, the view is amazing, the sense of accomplishment is even better. Then coming down it is pretty much all down for 12 miles. I was climbing the rigid SS 29 up the switch back section (which is in the sun and a pain in the rear) and some douchebags shuttling the trail failed to yield to the uphill rider - lame. If you do shuttle it, remember that people actually pedal up the hill too.

Chuckanut/Blanchard... you can do the "triple bypass" up there which will take you all day and have 3 large climbs. I haven't done it, but it's not all single track by any means. A map of part is here: http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/images_global/maps/map_trails_chuckanut.jpg That counts as "epic" but I couldn't possibly tell you the loop.