Quantcast

Poached Salmon

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hard to do well. Really bad when done poorly...

I have another pound of salmon (skin on) that I want to cook up tomorrow evening. Any recipes? Nobody - do you have anything good?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That really isn't poaching though...
Unless Stoney is saying he caught it w/o a fishing license, off season, and below legal size. ;)

But I doubt that is the case cuz he wouldn't post it here!

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My poaching recipe:

(Volumes depend on the amount you are doing and the size of your pot/pan)

White wine
Split peppercorns (white and red)
Dill (best would be a sprig of fresh.. if you don't like Dill, do parcley)
Thyme (fresh)
Sea salt
3-4 slices of lemon
Touch of mustard (coarse ground if possible)
Touch of horseradish
Minced garlic
1 shallot

First brown the garlic and shallot in some butter then add the wine and peppercorns.
Boil the wine and peppercorns for about 10 min before adding the fish, add the rest about a min or two before the fish goes in. It should only be about half submerged in the poaching liquid. Cook/boil covered for 5 min. About half way through ladle some of the liquid over the fish and make sure that some of your herbs are sitting right on top of the fish throughout the process.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
i know. i just felt like sharing
the last Salmon I did was with a black-tea rub. I loosely got the recipe from "Simply Ming"

Served with some wilted greens and brown rice topped with Furikake Rice Seasoning.

This seasoning stuff is awesome if you've never tried it. I swear, use a little bit of this and you can have a satisfying meal consisting of only rice with this on top. There are quite a few varieties of it to try. The constant in them I guess is sesame seeds, nori, and some sort of dried flaked fish (like bonito). The one I prefer has the above, but also some Japanese chili flakes.:thumb:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Hmm. Poaching... aka braising... cooking with liquid... cough.

I don't do it very often with fish because it takes flavour OUT of the fish if you're not careful enough. Salmon has a stronger than average flavour and better than average physical consistency, so I usually pan sear it.

However, when 'it's what's for dinner' - that is, best choice, personal pref, etc etc, I use Vermouth [white, dry] as opposed to wine - same basic beginnings, but it has more zip. And it's usually cheaper [I don't have access to 2 Buck Chuck up here].

Vegetation - dill is most common, thinly sliced onions, parsely - that's about it. Cook on low-to-medium in a pan small enough that the salmon isn't lost and the liquid won't evaporate too fast.

Skin side down - that's where the fats are, and they'll render out and into the liquid.

You can reserve the liquid afterwards and whisk some of it into some mayonnaise as a sauce.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got any non-poaching suggestions? I have a few lbs left to cook

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
:eek:Talk dirty to me. Have a recipe for the salsa? How long did you marinate for?
Actually, I do... I usually do peach OR mango, but I see no reason why you couldn't do both.

Finely diced peachs and/or mangos, roasted pasilla or anahiem peppers (de-skinned and diced as well) cilantro, lime juice, a touch of corriander and a touch of cumin, sea salt.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Actually, I do... I usually do peach OR mango, but I see no reason why you couldn't do both.

Finely diced peachs and/or mangos, roasted pasilla or anahiem peppers (de-skinned and diced as well) cilantro, lime juice, a touch of corriander and a touch of cumin, sea salt.
Appreciate it.

Embarrassingly, I ended up overcooking it when my new neighbor came over to introduce himself.

I ended up adding avocado and Serrano peppers to the salsa for a bit more heat.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto

I needed to let the port reduce more, over cooked the mushrooms and didn't add enough salt and pepper, but otherwise really good! It's definitely going into the keeper stack.

We're keeping the extra reduction to add to some chicken I am cooking next week. I have another saute' side that I can add as a base that I think will mesh well with the port reduction.
Don't fixate too much on the port [or any wine] reduction being very 'saucy' - I've struggled with this for years. You will never get it to 'thicken' to where you think it should go - without adding a thickener. This is because a) there is very little sugar in the sauce and b) sugars, when hot, are not viscous.

The original recipe is about 10 years old. Depending on your tastes, you can thicken a bit with mild Dijon mustard, a few teaspoons, during the latter part of the reduction [whisk it in] or - after it's started to cool, yoghurt or sour cream. You don't really want a gravy, so don't use starches - they just glop onto the beans. [adding this to the original recipe now, btw]

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Appreciate it.
Embarrassingly, I ended up overcooking it when my new neighbor came over to introduce himself.

I ended up adding avocado and Serrano peppers to the salsa for a bit more heat.
a) that's not salsa - that's a main side dish!
b) did you marinate it?
c) really heroic sized slabs of salmon are a pain in the ass to get right. I feel ya.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I just recooked it again today after my trail ride. Much much better! 5 min/side on the grill is perfect.
I didn't marinate it but I should have. The salsa is so damn good I poured a huge helping on my plate to dip some chips in.

I ended up adding a couple things to the salsa mix.
1 peach
1 mango
1/2 c onion
2 serrano peppers
1 jalapeno
Squeeze of lime
Corn
Cilantro
Avocado

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I like it poached in cham-pahg-na& sahllots!
then i mount some butter to that after the fish is done. add some S&P. not too bad & not too hard either.