Quantcast

POC Joint Knee - reviews?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Anyone ridden with the POC Joint knee pads? These are the newer, non-hardshell ones.

I am looking for a higher quality pad than 661. Looking for longevity: ability to withstand lots of washings, don't rip on the first crash, seams stay tight, neoprene doesn't tear etc. Would love to hear that POC isn't made in China, but that's probably asking too much.

Staying in place as well as 661 Straits and Tomcats is important. I can stand it if they are little hotter than 661s, as long as they make up for it in protection, fit and durability.

Not looking for other recommendations; I'm well aware what else is out there.

Thanks in advance!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm getting my first pair this season. From talking to a few people that have them, they're the best out there. Not sure on durability, but my one buddy that has them put a beating on them, and they were still in good shape.

FWIW, POC is a swedish company. Not sure where they're made.

Fit / getting the right size is CRUCIAL. Check the sizing chart on their website. If you're on the fence (like I was) - shoot them an email. I got a response from their US headquarters in under 24 hrs.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
I've got a set of the Joint Knees. Just got them a couple weeks ago. Fit seems bang on. Comfy, been wearing them around the house. Haven't a chance to ride in them or crash them but so far VPD seems like the SH!T. I like the form moulding of the pads when worn. Walking around they stay in place well, like I said earlier no crash experience yet...

I guess a dissapointment for you though; they are made in China. Dont see that as an issue though as quality looks top notch. Use the sizing chart on the POC website and you should do fine for size. That's how I got mine, sized off website and placed my order.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks for the info guys. I guess it's a little early for serious trail testing. These are at the top of the list though.

-r

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
BUMP.

also - is there actually a Medium on this particular model? I keep only seeing Small and Large for sale.
according to POC yes, although i haven't seen a M listed at any of the US based etailers. chainreactioncycles.com has M listed.

i just got a set of these this week and love them - except for the fact that there was a 1" section of seam already ripped straight out of the bag or it wasn't sewn right at the factory. i'd heard the '09 product had some QC issues with seams/stitching, hopefully this is an anomaly and my replacements will be good and hold up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BUMP.

also - is there actually a Medium on this particular model? I keep only seeing Small and Large for sale.
a medium is listed on their site. I talked to a buddy yesterday and right now QBP doesn't have medium in stock. FWIW I don't think QBP has had any of the new POC stuff for more than a couple weeks.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
the other thread reminded me.

I ordered the POC Joint knee in Small. It didn't fit me, and I don't think would fit any adult male (I'm pretty skinny). There don't seem to be any Mediums in the USA, so I returned it and will be riding the TLD T-bones this season.

Build quality on the POC looked OK. THere is no bottom strap - just the top strap, which seems a little odd. It didn't look super burly - less bulky than the Straits, EVOs and T-bones. More like a DJ/park pad than a DH pad.

Just my $.02 / not-really-a-review, but hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My roomate loves his. Kinda. They fit fantastically, super super comfortable, and they stay very stable in crashes. But the connection where the top strap attaches broke after about 3 weeks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My roomate loves his. Kinda. They fit fantastically, super super comfortable, and they stay very stable in crashes. But the connection where the top strap attaches broke after about 3 weeks.
seriously? for the price that is ludicrous. I'd rather ride slightly lower tech gear and replace it every year than ride with those and replace them every year...huh?

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
I have had these for a few weeks now and love them. Had a burley crash at Ray's on Sunday, things work well. So well in fact I just ordered the Joint elbow and the spine tee.