Quantcast

POC Joint question

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Anyone using the POC Joint VPD 2.0 pads wanna comment on the "hardness" of the protection? Would you say they're somewhere in between pads like the TLD T-Bones/661 Straits and a hard-shell pad like the Fox Launch?
Looking for new knee pads that offer more protection than the T-Bone/Straits.
Overall impressions and comparisons welcome too.

zoom.jpeg

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I don't have TLD pads, but my buddy does. IIRC the padding in those pads are somewhat thick, but not very dense. I've used a couple pairs of Kyle Straits over the years and I regard them as very light duty pads. Very comfortable, but not confidence-inspiring, and not durable.

My VPD 2.0s are pretty robust feeling, and fit well. The velocity-sensitive padding didn't save my knee from a high-speed bar-smash, but I don't know what would've. I wish the VPDs had a little more coverage above the knee, and the long one piece knee/shin wasn't quite long enough to save my lower shin from stiches. If you're looking for complete shin coverage, I would go with the short VPD knees and separate VPD shin pads.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i use POC protection for a while now, helmet, body armour and these knee protectors. and i like their stuff, it's comfortable and serves it's purpose well. BUT: don't buy these knee pads. thex are cr*p. you have to put off your shoes to put them on. they are pretty hot in summer. and worst of all: they don't protect you. if you crash, your knee will look like this:

that was a low-speed crash on gravel (i didn't pay attention on my way to the trail head), i don't dare to imagine what my leg would look like after a serious crash.

i had the POC Bones pads before i got these, which are hard plastic and they are so much better. i strongly recommend not to get the Joint pads. bad product from a company, that otherwise offers good stuff..

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I have the older version of the POC Joints and they have protected my knee surprisingly well. The only type of crash they might be useless in is if you land on a very sharp rock that pierces the VPD. For impacts on more blunt stuff, they are really good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@ op regarding the "hardness". I've got the original VPD kneepads. They are rather firm just sitting by themselves. But once you put them one, they start to warm up and become notably more pliable.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Some mixed reviews, wasn't expecting that quite honestly.
Trying to get hardshell like protection in a soft material package isn't possible yet. I've only heard good things about POC products until this thread.
Any other pads you guys would recommend that offer more protection than the T-Bone/Strait/Evo options but aren't super bulky. I used to run the old 661 moto knee's with the 661 Pad Locks with good results and have toasted my knee twice since, once in Straits and once the T-Bones (most recent resulting in a dented kneecap).

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
I have the older style joint knee guards. They have been great on big direct impacts and they slide down less than other knee guards I have had. I wear roadie lycra under my DH shorts and pin the tops of the guards to the bottom of the shorts to keep the knee guards a little higher. This way they don't seem to want to slip down when I crash. I had one brutal crash where I hit at a speed and angle that would've torn down any pads. The pads were ripped down and i nearly got pantsed. :eek:....could have been a grisly seen

Edit: FWIW i have tried the roach knee shins, 661 knee shins and 661 Kyle Strait. The POC are the best protection for my knee and the most comfortable.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Another thing you can do is to buy some 2" velcro and make your own wraps to help the pads stay in place. Or add on the 661 knee covers over those....

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
For some reason I tend not to have much issue with pads slipping. The Padlocks were used because the 661 Moto-knee's didn't have a top strap for the knee portion of the pad since they're usually worn under moto-pants. Neither the pad or the lock made anymore anyways.
I might check out the TLD Combat Knee short pads.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I like the Scott Grenade Pro II. Used Dainese, Race Face and Strait hard shell pads before. Still using Dainese
Viking pants for all out DH, but everything else it is the Scotts.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Tomasis, I feel your pain. I tore my ACL in 96 and rehabbed and have taken good care of it eve since. Last spring, I was pedaling my DH bike while sitting down in a grass field waiting for my race run.

Hit a fence post lying in the tall grass and went down clipped in on my left knee and have ripped it up on the other side badly.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
bump

looking for good knee/shin combo or just knees... not really sure what i want

i have a problem with them sliding down and just being damn uncomfortable ( but the only shins iv used were shotty old 661's that i bought in '05 or some crap like that )

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
bump

looking for good knee/shin combo or just knees... not really sure what i want

i have a problem with them sliding down and just being damn uncomfortable ( but the only shins iv used were shotty old 661's that i bought in '05 or some crap like that )

Pretty good set up I use with the bone vpd described below:

POC Bone VPD Leg Body Armor, Black, large
by POC
5 customer reviews
Price: $101.55 - $120.00
Color: Black

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I've crashed on the POC 2.0 plenty. Never had them slide off, always have great protection.

If they fit you then they'll work and not slide. If they don't fit you've got to move on. Pads fit everyone differently. What works for you might not work for me and vice versa.

But what you really want is the POC 2.0 DH: http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/poc-vpd2-dh-long-knee-hard-cap.jpg

Best of both worlds. I use the POC 2.0 DH now and it's great. Best protection of any pad I've ever used, and never had them slide on me.

I crash a lot.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have the POC 2.0 DH, best knee shin pads I've used for having them stay in place and not expose my knee in a crash.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I think that what many people don't realize is that what keeps pads in place (the concept is the same on a pair of $2400 custom laminated carbon-graphite osteo-arthritis knee braces or a pair of POC pads) is the lower (below knee) strap tightness and how snug the pad fits around the back of the knee to the upper calf.

If you have chicken calves, you're kinda screwed, but ensure that the pad is sufficiently snug and strap cinched down on this area and you won't get migration. The tightness of the upper strap doesn't matter as far as pad slippage goes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think that what many people don't realize is that what keeps pads in place (the concept is the same on a pair of $2400 custom laminated carbon-graphite osteo-arthritis knee braces or a pair of POC pads) is the lower (below knee) strap tightness and how snug the pad fits around the back of the knee to the upper calf.

If you have chicken calves, you're kinda screwed, but ensure that the pad is sufficiently snug and strap cinched down on this area and you won't get migration. The tightness of the upper strap doesn't matter as far as pad slippage goes.
Which is why the RaceFace Ambush are so good. Two layers of velcro can be set VERY tight if you need to. Upper and lower strap. Them pads don't budge.