Quantcast

POC Leg Gaurds... Help here?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, quick story, skip below the line if you want: So I am on a quest for new knee/shin gaurds. I had 661 racelite knee/shin gaurds, worked pretty well with padlock knee wraps. Now I am looking for new ones, they are getting really ratty, and I am wondering if there is something low profile that I would have to adjust less. My old gaurds I had to fix 1-2 times every run.

I bought the newer white 661 knee/shin gaurds. They are much BIGGER. The knee cup is to robust to me, and same with the shin part. Yes, I am a little skinny, and don't like wearing armour as it is, but it has saved me too many times not to wear it.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
So here we are, I was looking at the POC knee/shin gaurds. I wasn't sure if anyone has heard about them, or has even tried them, but any advice would help.

I was thinking fox launches, but I read too many reviews about people getting cuts in the back of their legs from the straps, and them coming unclipped when one hits their knee on the frame. I am willing to spend the extra money if it means comfort and good protection for the season.

I also considered dainese bibs, but I don't want hip protection and something extra going up and over my shoulders. Everything else I have looked at too. Maybe you could suggest something else even?

Here's some pics:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Mmd2PGwq1mYJ:www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-poc-armour-21090+poc+bone+leg+pads&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

^^^^
You can see the gaurds move slightly independent from the actual knee's shell cup.
Also, the gaurds use something similiar to 661's d30 pads, and they use a hardshell as well.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9385
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9384
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9379

Thanks guys for the help.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
_________________________________________________________________________________________
So here we are, I was looking at the POC knee/shin gaurds. I wasn't sure if anyone has heard about them, or has even tried them, but any advice would help.

Here's some pics:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Mmd2PGwq1mYJ:www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-poc-armour-21090+poc+bone+leg+pads&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

^^^^
You can see the gaurds move slightly independent from the actual knee's shell cup.
Also, the gaurds use something similiar to 661's d30 pads, and they use a hardshell as well.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9385
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9384
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9379

Thanks guys for the help.

the independently moving hardshell knee and Vapo plalstic dough knee sleeve is the best invention ever for a knee shin pad, get one they protect and pedal better than anything

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
I got a set yesterday, so far 2 crashes and no bruised knees. And I have to say after trying many shin guards in my time, these are without question the best.

Real quick here's why...

Very quick to put on and take off, the strap system is simple but works better than most.

The knee joint D3o thing makes all the difference. The top of the knee is totally protected no matter how you fall.

Also the knee joint material forms to your knee so they fit perfect and do not fall down.

They come with a sweet cloth bag. What else can you ask for?

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I got a set yesterday, so far 2 crashes and no bruised knees. And I have to say after trying many shin guards in my time, these are without question the best.

Real quick here's why...

Very quick to put on and take off, the strap system is simple but works better than most.

The knee joint D3o thing makes all the difference. The top of the knee is totally protected no matter how you fall.

Also the knee joint material forms to your knee so they fit perfect and do not fall down.

They come with a sweet cloth bag. What else can you ask for?

hey mark

how is the sizing on the pads? I know there is only 2 sizes right? I assume you got the large? do they look like they are pretty adjustable? I mean, two sizes fit all is pretty gnarly.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
hey mark

how is the sizing on the pads? I know there is only 2 sizes right? I assume you got the large? do they look like they are pretty adjustable? I mean, two sizes fit all is pretty gnarly.
What's up Alf!

I got large and they go down to about an inch and half above my ankle. The rest fits perfect, didn't really need to adjust the straps.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What's up Alf!

I got large and they go down to about an inch and half above my ankle. The rest fits perfect, didn't really need to adjust the straps.
I'm really interested in trying a set of these, could you do me a favour and measure the circumference of your knee? Just around the kneecap itself. And then could you also measure around the thickest part of your calf? Would give me some idea of how they might work for me, we don't have a local distributor/stockist so I can't go and try em on.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I emailed the POC US folks with my vital stats (5'11, skinny) and they said to go large for everything but the torso protector, and a medium in that. They also said that you can cut down the knee/shin protector for a better fit. I'll have to see when my stuff shows up.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I emailed the POC US folks with my vital stats (5'11, skinny) and they said to go large for everything but the torso protector, and a medium in that. They also said that you can cut down the knee/shin protector for a better fit. I'll have to see when my stuff shows up.
Sorry, but when are the pads for you coming? I am just concerned about the sizing because my knees are small, but my calfs are about average size from all the riding.

I am just curious, my knees from the center around, with a full extended leg is 37cm's and my calf at the largest part is 38cm in circumference. From the middle of my knee cap to my ankle is 41 cm. This is all with a fully extended leg. Are you around the same? I don't want to spend $120's on knee pads and find they don't fit me. I wear small everything, and remember, these pads should fit people 6'+ too if there is a large size, and the husky dudes out there, which makes me skeptical about wearing a large.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Sorry, but when are the pads for you coming? I am just concerned about the sizing because my knees are small, but my calfs are about average size from all the riding.

I am just curious, my knees from the center around, with a full extended leg is 37cm's and my calf at the largest part is 38cm in circumference. From the middle of my knee cap to my ankle is 41 cm. This is all with a fully extended leg. Are you around the same? I don't want to spend $120's on knee pads and find they don't fit me. I wear small everything, and remember, these pads should fit people 6'+ too if there is a large size, and the husky dudes out there, which makes me skeptical about wearing a large.
Yup, I know what you mean. I'm rather long in the shin so I didn't think too much of it.

Anyway, I don't have a measuring tape handy, but I'll check it out when I do get them. I'm out of town for a bit next week, but probably by next Friday I'd have an answer. You can always email the rep...they got back to me quickly.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007

Sorry, forgot all about this. I just took some measurements...I'm pretty much the exact same size, but I'm more like 43-44cm knee cap to ankle. The pads themselves are (size L) 38cm from center of the knee cap to the very bottom. On me there's probably 3cm or so between the bottom of the pad and kind of the top of my ankle. Definitely no issues with being thinner and wearing the large at all. Sounds like you could probably wear either a small or large, depending on how much coverage you want...I'm not sure how much of a difference in length there is.

Otherwise, I can't recommend these enough. They're nicely ventilated, protective, and fit really, really well. The design of the knee hinge is fantastic...they barely require any tension on any of the straps to keep them in place.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Got the POC knee gaurds, love them. They fit perfect for me (I am 5' 9" and got the small). I haven't ridden in them yet, but walking around and pedaling around the lawn, they felt good.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Yup, I'm rocking the upper body armor and the medium fits me PERFECT (6'1, 175lbs) So much better than 661 fits I have dealt with in the past. Also have the knee/shin and I feel like I could use a smaller size, currently rocking the large and feel like they are a bit big (not lengthwise) The articulating knee cuff is genius! Never fell down and I never felt restricted by the pads.

Free shipping here:
http://www.hucknroll.com/mountainbike/subcat/100000055/b100000574/POC-Bike-Helmets-Protection.html