Quantcast

Podcasts! Podcasts? Yes, Podcasts!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Who here subscribes to any podcasts? I don't know how I've managed to overlook this whole entire form of mass media for so long, but I really like it now. Especially since my ipod is larger than 4 gigs finally.

Looking for recommendations I suppose too.

I like science stuff a lot.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a hard time finding any that stay interesting. I'm not a huge fan of 5-10 minute blurbs...

Quirks and Quarks is pretty good if you're into science.

I like the McLaughlin Group.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i like alot of the npr stuff

car talk
fresh air
wait wait dont tell me
talk of the nation

i also listen to:
jay and jack lost podcast
V-podcast
the married man show

dj spyhunter (really good break beats)

espn page 2

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I like Fresh Air as long as its a worthwhile guest. The guy from Gogol Bordello was awesome.

Skepticality is a good one so far too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is hilarious and awesome.

If you like science, check out the TED Talks. Occasional duds, but mostly really great stuff. Some of it you need videos for but the podcast tells you before it starts (you can ignore it unless the thing says it's a "highly visual" presentation).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
just started listening to the backpacking light and dirtbag diaries podcasts. both are interesting if you're into the whole backpacking, mountaineering, climbing scene.

anyone got any suggestions for good podcasts related to the ones i've already got? video podcasts would be a plus.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I've got another vote for Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. NPR usually bores me to death, but that show is brilliant.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Wait wait, Radio lab, this american life, all songs considered, the Moth, and real time with bill maher. Except for Maher, all NPR podcasts and all are available on iTunes. Radio lab is kind of weird in the fact that I don't really think they have a production schedule. Sometimes its weeks between 15 minute podcasts, then their will be 6 weeks in a row of hour long podcasts. I specifically recommend their story about War of the Worlds from radio lab if you can find it, best hour of radio ever. I belive the older Radio lab podcasts you don't have to pay for but I could be wrong. This American life podcasts are for the previous weeks radio show only but if you want to save anything you can but some of thier older stuff is amazing. Go to the "this American Life" website and pay the 99 cents each for "the Giant Pool of Money" and "the Ghost of Bobby Dunbar"

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I used to listen to The Cellar Rat & Grape Radio religiously & a couple others about roasting coffee beans.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
There are also a few various podcasts with episodes where they interview Stelarc. Search "Stelarc" in the library if you are using an iPhone or similar device. He's an interesting cat.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I realise this is an old thread... but I'm surprised there's no love for This American Life. I think it's one of the best radio shows in the world. Also another vote for Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Car Talk...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Bump! Any other good ones? I think Podcasts are my favorite thing about the Internet, besides of course RM:monkeydance:!

There is something so fun about listening to stories, and the ammount of good content seems to be growing like crazy. Anyway, here are my two current favorites:

Dan Carlin: Hardcore History- he has a way of making war history so interesting. His story telling is fantastic.
Stuff you should know- synopses of any topic imaginable w/ two funny dudes.

Anyone have more suggestions?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Dan Carlin: Hardcore History- he has a way of making war history so interesting. His story telling is fantastic.
I too like this one a lot. Though beware that his "short" episodes tend to run 2 hours. I particularly enjoyed "Radical Thoughts". Lots of parallel to our current obsession/paranoia about terrorism. They need to hurry up with the next WW1 episode.

I enjoyed Serial, along with apparently everyone else. It was thoughtful and compelling.
Never made it past the first episode. Maybe I'll give it another try.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Never made it past the first episode. Maybe I'll give it another try.
I will say that the woman doesn't come off as an investigator (too many opinions/emotions), and some of the personalities involved in the case are off-putting. As the series goes on, though, those personalities shape a lot of how the case plays out.

Still might not be to your taste but I don't think the explosion of interest in the podcast was unjustified. It's a genuinely interesting view into a lot of parts of the criminal system.