Quantcast

Pointless thread I guess (Oakley related)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
A little while ago I was looking for Oakley moto goggles. I went to all the shops around here (north of Seattle) and was denied. Along the way I discovered that the shops got together and staged a group revolt against Oakley. Something to do with incorrect merchandise being shipped and Oakley's refusal to take it back etc. etc... So all the shops decided to say "screw you" and now no-one carries them 'round here.

This sucks for me as I like Oakley stuff.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
try getting oakley E frame snow goggles with a clear lense, the strap is big enough to fit around my MX helmet and it doesn't slip, so no need for the "helmet strap".
they have a "double" lense and nearly never "fog up".

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Just to point out..this was supposed to be more about the revolt against oakley, than oakley products.

(And goggles are not goggles....the smiths didn't seal properly on my face at all....they let in all kind of crap. Hate them. HATE I say!! )

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by MMike
Smith is crap. I have a pari of Smith warps rottin in a bin somewhere in my closet
Really, I'm pretty stoked with the Smith goggles and glasses I just got, they fit alot better in my helmet than my old Zeal's or Azonic's and the padding doesn't pinch my nose and restrict breathing.

Oakley makes some nice optics, but most of their stuff is pretty $$$.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Acadian
why do everyone think Oakely goggles are expensive?? :confused:
Don't mind me, I am still bitter than I paid full retail for a pair of
"some kind" of jackets of theirs in the early 90's.
They were total crap. I broke them twice by taking them off of my face.
Yet, I have about 10 pair of Smiths all which came with 3 lens laying around still perfect.;)

Ah, they can't be all bad though.
Brian Bosworth used to sport the windshield model which complimented his mullet quite superbly.:p

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Oakley has great service, they'll fix your glasses with no questions asked usually.

And as long as they make my beloved, all-black, Darth Vaderish Racing Jackets, I'm a happy customer!! (And yea, I DO walk with them around).

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Oakley rules. I just called them cuz my girlfriend broke one of the arms on my glasses. I send my glasses in, they replace the entire frame for $29 CDN shipping back to me included.

Their goggles are also great and on par with other prices unless you want the iridium lenses (why would you do that if you're going into the woods though..)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
So far I love my Oakley Splice glasses...fit well. Their watches are pretty nice too...

I say goggles are goggles as long as they have doubled, clear lenses.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Oakley goggles are $35 retail. That is cheaper than most other manufactures. Plus, the tear-offs are easily found. That is unless you live on the left side and don't have mud to deal with :)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Look, my LBS was smart enough to figure out what my girlfriend wanted. I think her exact words were "he wants carbon goggles from Oakly, ones for Downhill" and they figured it out, they were $39 I think. She then said "he wants different colored lenses" and hooked her up for $14 I think for 5 sun-colored lenses. They were the clsoes to my sunglass lense as I could find. I love the ability to scratch them to hell and just put a new lense on. They fit great around my mad max helemt. They are just good priced/functional goggles.

I agree that things with Oakley are overpriced but you get what you pay for. I bought a $100 pair of their shorts (the M2 I think?) with built in butt cushions and nice zippers down the legs to make them breathe a bit better and I can't say enough how comfy they are. Money well spent!

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Did you check Supergo? I saw quite a few Oakley goggles in the display case a few weeks ago at the U district. For 35, cant beat the price...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Did you check Supergo? I saw quite a few Oakley goggles in the display case a few weeks ago at the U district. For 35, cant beat the price...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Acadian
Oakley had a great warranty...did you try to get them replaced?

I dunno...I just love their sh|t...from goggles to eyewear to clothing to shoes..
Yeah, I got them fixed twice, and on the 3rd time I just realized it like fusing a turd back together.
I am not seriously hoding a grudge though. This honestly was in '94. I know they make some nice stuff.
Our team is happy with the fit, function, and looks of our Smith goggles/glasses so we don't bother looking around.
So as usual, I was just talking out of my usual orifice again.;)