Quantcast

Poison Ivy on the fence.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I have been clipping and pulling Roots from this whore for about 4 years? I wait till she is naked and then clip the branches and pull the base,but I am not doing a proper job I guess? With the extreme Heat it has become a serious problem. I Love Dog’s and have two of them so I am not using chemical’s. Perhaps that is my problem? It is not affecting anything other than being in the corner and mocking me,it has gotten to the point Boy’s,enough. Thank you for you’re thought’s.
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Are you digging out the roots and chasing them underground?

I have several patches of poison oak at my house and the only way I was able to get them to not come back was to chase the roots and dig em out whenever they sent up greenery.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have been clipping and pulling Roots from this whore for about 4 years? I wait till she is naked and then clip the branches and pull the base,but I am not doing a proper job I guess? With the extreme Heat it has become a serious problem. I Love Dog’s and have two of them so I am not using chemical’s. Perhaps that is my problem? It is not affecting anything other than being in the corner and mocking me,it has gotten to the point Boy’s,enough. Thank you for you’re thought’s.
Avy
Back in Norcal we'd spray the Poison Oak each spring with Roundup or Agent Orange. I don't recall having any PO issues on our acres due to this...but holy crap some places in NorCal are completely overrun by it, fields of it. It's very persistent and it really finds a way to grow almost anywhere. If managed, it's not hard to control, it doesn't "come back" the entire year IME when you spray it with Roundup, you might wipe out areas of it, but seeds will drift and it will require attention time to time. You aren't spraying much when doing this, it's not saturating the ground or anything, but it introduces a chem into the plant that kills the entire plant, even if you just spray on a leaf.

Here in AK I've F-ing had it with the alders, the devil's club and the cow parsnip. The cow parsnip especially, it causes chemical burns, blisters, scars that last for months and longer. It's nasty stuff, sap is activated by UV light on bright days, just search for pictures. It's easily as bad as PO and possibly worse, except if it's overcast you have no worries. I find with PO and Cow Parsnip if you can get something on your skin to break up the oils within a few hours, it's never an issue. It's when you let the oils become absorbed that you are screwed in both cases.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
weird post but OK.

I think there are two ways to get rid of poison ivy. Mechanically and chemically.

Mechanically, if the plant is small enough, strap on your rubber gloves and pull the entire thing up. Drag it off into the woods and pitch it far away from anything. If it's ginormous and stuck to a tree, cut it at the base where the root exits the ground and again a few inches up to take a clean 4" chunk out of it. That way it can't "heal" or graft to itself and it's easy to keep an eye on. If i do either of these, the PI is typically gone for good. If you just clip the visible parts, it'll come right back. It's also too nimbly bimbly to just try chopping the roots. If yours keeps coming back, make a cut and then paint the cut with glyphosate concentrate.

The other alternative is chemical warfare. I know you don't like this route, but my opinion is: do you want your dogs covered in poison ivy, or can you keep them inside for a day or two until the roundup dries? If there is a concern that they will eat the poison ivy once it's covered in roundup, then there's a concern that they would eat the poison ivy anyways and your dogs will have to be kept from the area period.
I use a combination of glyphosate (roundup) and triclopyr and it's 100% effective in my hands. Be smart with your application- don't use it in the rain, don't use it before it's going to rain, and focus your spray on the plants you want to eliminate. Don't use near watersheds, don't pour it down the drain, etc. Wear gloves and a mask and don't bathe in it. I basically pour the recommended volume of concentrate of each of the two weed killers into my sprayer and then dilute up to 1 gallon or whatever the mix is. Again, this has been super effective for me and helped to eliminate poison ivy from my backyard. The virginia creeper has taken over so it's not like I'm ruining the ecosystem either.

Good luck! Poison Ivy is rampant out here in MA.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

I have several patches of poison oak at my house and the only way I was able to get them to not come back was to chase the roots and dig em out whenever they sent up greenery.
So you tore there ass up when it was Green Leaves Brother? I had read to wait until winter?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Back in Norcal we'd spray the Poison Oak each spring with Roundup or Agent Orange. I don't recall having any PO issues on our acres due to this...but holy crap some places in NorCal are completely overrun by it, fields of it. It's very persistent and it really finds a way to grow almost anywhere. If managed, it's not hard to control, it doesn't "come back" the entire year IME when you spray it with Roundup, you might wipe out areas of it, but seeds will drift and it will require attention time to time. You aren't spraying much when doing this, it's not saturating the ground or anything, but it introduces a chem into the plant that kills the entire plant, even if you just spray on a leaf.

Here in AK I've F-ing had it with the alders, the devil's club and the cow parsnip. The cow parsnip especially, it causes chemical burns, blisters, scars that last for months and longer. It's nasty stuff, sap is activated by UV light on bright days, just search for pictures. It's easily as bad as PO and possibly worse, except if it's overcast you have no worries. I find with PO and Cow Parsnip if you can get something on your skin to break up the oils within a few hours, it's never an issue. It's when you let the oils become absorbed that you are screwed in both cases.
Thank You,as I am in NorCal. I have been thinking of just soaking the Roots,not the leaves,but have not yet due to the Dogs. That Cow shit is a nightmare I have never heard of? You poor sausage.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
weird post but OK.

I think there are two ways to get rid of poison ivy. Mechanically and chemically.

Mechanically, if the plant is small enough, strap on your rubber gloves and pull the entire thing up. Drag it off into the woods and pitch it far away from anything. If it's ginormous and stuck to a tree, cut it at the base where the root exits the ground and again a few inches up to take a clean 4" chunk out of it. That way it can't "heal" or graft to itself and it's easy to keep an eye on. If i do either of these, the PI is typically gone for good. If you just clip the visible parts, it'll come right back. It's also too nimbly bimbly to just try chopping the roots. If yours keeps coming back, make a cut and then paint the cut with glyphosate concentrate.

The other alternative is chemical warfare. I know you don't like this route, but my opinion is: do you want your dogs covered in poison ivy, or can you keep them inside for a day or two until the roundup dries? If there is a concern that they will eat the poison ivy once it's covered in roundup, then there's a concern that they would eat the poison ivy anyways and your dogs will have to be kept from the area period.
I use a combination of glyphosate (roundup) and triclopyr and it's 100% effective in my hands. Be smart with your application- don't use it in the rain, don't use it before it's going to rain, and focus your spray on the plants you want to eliminate. Don't use near watersheds, don't pour it down the drain, etc. Wear gloves and a mask and don't bathe in it. I basically pour the recommended volume of concentrate of each of the two weed killers into my sprayer and then dilute up to 1 gallon or whatever the mix is. Again, this has been super effective for me and helped to eliminate poison ivy from my backyard. The virginia creeper has taken over so it's not like I'm ruining the ecosystem either.

Good luck! Poison Ivy is rampant out here in MA.
Thank you Brother,I’m really leaning my Shoulder this route at this point. She is All Green and Strong right Now. Should I wait,or Go Now?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

I think I did not get deep enough? I can’t believe no one has made a sexual comment on the matter?
Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thank You,as I am in NorCal. I have been thinking of just soaking the Roots,not the leaves,but have not yet due to the Dogs. That Cow shit is a nightmare I have never heard of? You poor sausage.
Avy
AFAIK, Roundup HAS to hit the leaves. That's how it works. Science and shit.

This thread has taken me back too. We'd go hunting on our property for the smallest buds coming out in the spring and hit them up. We wouldn't have any issues after, but again, you had to hit that stuff and not let it get out of control.

We have plants up here like Devil's Club and it's just out of control. I saw it down in BC and Washington a few weeks ago, but it doesn't grow anywhere near like it does here. It basically just forms a giant colony and you chop it all down and it just sprouts right back up again. It starts growing in the middle of the trail.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Roundup HAS to hit the leaves. That's how it works. Science and shit.

This thread has taken me back too. We'd go hunting on our property for the smallest buds coming out in the spring and hit them up. We wouldn't have any issues after, but again, you had to hit that stuff and not let it get out of control.

We have plants up here like Devil's Club and it's just out of control. I saw it down in BC and Washington a few weeks ago, but it doesn't grow anywhere near like it does here. It basically just forms a giant colony and you chop it all down and it just sprouts right back up again. It starts growing in the middle of the trail.
Roundup can also be used on freshly cut stems. It's a nasty poison to work with.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thank you Brother,I’m really leaning my Shoulder this route at this point. She is All Green and Strong right Now. Should I wait,or Go Now?
Avy
As long as it’s actively growing, you should be able to kill it. Roundup only doesn’t work during droughts. I think it disrupts a growth enzyme so the plant starts growing “all retarded and shit” instead of healthy strong and upright. Then it dies when it can’t photosynthesize. But yes, you ideally want leaves to kill it. Spray the top and bottom if possible.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Get a goat.
That is funny,I love Goats and the Wife want’s me to get one. I grew up in Sadia Arabia and when you took the garbage out,you put in a pile outside the Compound. A Big pile. Then the Goats came,all that was left was metal. Camels also came. Of course that was the 70’s,not like now. Shit they would water with raw sewage. Big tucks driving down the road dumping it onto the plants. They had plants separating north and south bound lanes on the roads,they were like more freeways than roads. No speed limit,no cops giving you ticket. Ran a red light light? Oh well. I can not tell you how many cars that hit a water truck. Back then,they just push the car/truck off the road and onto the sand. Sorry, drifted away on you I did.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
goats only eat leaves and leave the roots. Pretty green, but worthless.
Check,so I have chosen to spray the Bitch with Round Up. Having read All you all have to say,and I Thank You. Funny how a question can have such life with stories/memories.
Avy

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Check,so I have chosen to spray the Bitch with Round Up. Having read All you all have to say,and I Thank You. Funny how a question can have such life with stories/memories.
Avy
all good

There was a time I got so covered in PI that I considered honestly salting the earth to prevent it from coming back. PI is actually very easily controllable with a little bit of effort. PI is kind of a diva when it comes to growing conditions...has to be right along the edge of the forest/against the edge of a meadow or road for it to grow. Once you get it under control it probably won't come back. Be aware that it's starting to die off for fall, so you better get a'sprayin and make sure to save some for the spring.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
all good

There was a time I got so covered in PI that I considered honestly salting the earth to prevent it from coming back. PI is actually very easily controllable with a little bit of effort. PI is kind of a diva when it comes to growing conditions...has to be right along the edge of the forest/against the edge of a meadow or road for it to grow. Once you get it under control it probably won't come back. Be aware that it's starting to die off for fall, so you better get a'sprayin and make sure to save some for the spring.
So PI is the Diet Coke version of PO?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
So PI is the Diet Coke version of PO?
I don’t know but I sprayed the whore.It was a foamy experience,stressful as well,worried about the dogs or anything else. I did a good job I think. Lucky for me the area is in the corner,outside my yard,but close. So,thanks and I’ll let you know.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Yes,I dug up the roots. I just sprayed the leaves,come winter I’ll pull it all up again Brother and see what happens.
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The last two patches of PO I tackled required several months of diligence, continually digging a deeper hole until the PO stopped sprouting.

I will take a pic of the PO patch I am currently ignoring as it's not near the house. Its convenient located on a property line with my neighbor. He told me I should deal with it actually. That automatically means it's going to be around for a while.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The last two patches of PO I tackled required several months of diligence, continually digging a deeper hole until the PO stopped sprouting.

I will take a pic of the PO patch I am currently ignoring as it's not near the house. Its convenient located on a property line with my neighbor. He told me I should deal with it actually. That automatically means it's going to be around for a while.
That was not very nice of him to say that? Fuck you,let’s tackle this together,or not. I’m hoping come winter,I’ll pull this bitch at the Base and come up hole,roots and all.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I will probably end up tackling this with my friends micro excavator.

View attachment 165326
That is some nice land Brother,I’m more on a 8 mile type neighbor. You know,right there. That is about the same patch as mine only she grew on the fence. Also,I have stupid pound rocks I have to push aside before doing anything. You are making me feel guilty,like I need to take a shot?
Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think you are definitely going to get buds in the Spring. Nature will find a way. It'll help and reduce your work to hit it now, but it's the Spring that makes the most difference IME.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That is some nice land Brother,I’m more on a 8 mile type neighbor. You know,right there. That is about the same patch as mine only she grew on the fence. Also,I have stupid pound rocks I have to push aside before doing anything. You are making me feel guilty,like I need to take a shot?
Avy
Thanks man, I know you can't see it but that's the property line literally within a foot of that PO. He is building his house behind the picture.

The other patches I've handled weren't a 1/10th the size of this. If I don't get some machinery for this one I am going to have to work my ass off. I have another patch that is growing out of a bunch of big rocks and I am trying to convince myself it belongs there and I can live with and ignore it. If my kids get into it they can learn about the power of plants.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks man, I know you can't see it but that's the property line literally within a foot of that PO. He is building his house behind the picture.

The other patches I've handled weren't a 1/10th the size of this. If I don't get some machinery for this one I am going to have to work my ass off. I have another patch that is growing out of a bunch of big rocks and I am trying to convince myself it belongs there and I can live with and ignore it. If my kids get into it they can learn about the power of plants.
Well,if You think it’s ok,then just teach the children of this nasty whore.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Is that a Mnt bike trail I see up yander?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I think you are definitely going to get buds in the Spring. Nature will find a way. It'll help and reduce your work to hit it now, but it's the Spring that makes the most difference IME.
Yeah bother I’ll be lookin in Spring,like I said I was fixen to yank it in Dec,this is the first time I used chemicals. So mabye nothing in Spring with the one two punch?
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Is that a Mnt bike trail I see up yander?
Avy
If you can see into the future, then yes. I haven't been here long and have plans to do some trail building. The lead arsenic concentrations are 3x the "safe" limit due to all this being planted into orchard 100 years ago. I want to wait until the rainy season hits and I can dig in the mud to keep the dust down.

So you are fighting the PI in Saudi Arabia or what?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And if anyone is still on the fence about Poison Ivy, I would definitely get it.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
If you can see into the future, then yes. I haven't been here long and have plans to do some trail building. The lead arsenic concentrations are 3x the "safe" limit due to all this being planted into orchard 100 years ago. I want to wait until the rainy season hits and I can dig in the mud to keep the dust down.

So you are fighting the PI in Saudi Arabia or what?
So that sound’s serious Brother? The Lead. Are you on a well for water? How serious is 3x the Safe risk to You and the family? I have no idea but reading what you wrote scared me. Peace.
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The lead sits there in the top of the soil and doesnt really move around much. There aren't really good options for mitigation except for capping it with clean dirt, excavating the top layer and removing it, or growing thick vegetation on the surface. It's the dust that is inhaled that gets inside ya. Adults generally have too much mass for the toxins to build into dangerous levels. Little children are at a higher risk for toxic build up.

It's a little dangerous but just keeping stuff growing on the soil and wetting the dirt down before digging is good practice.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The lead sits there in the top of the soil and doesnt really move around much. There aren't really good options for mitigation except for capping it with clean dirt, excavating the top layer and removing it, or growing thick vegetation on the surface. It's the dust that is inhaled that gets inside ya. Adults generally have too much mass for the toxins to build into dangerous levels. Little children are at a higher risk for toxic build up.

It's a little dangerous but just keeping stuff growing on the soil and wetting the dirt down before digging is good practice.
Wow,that was disturbing and I worry. So I am thinking you grow plants to help with Top Soil? The Kid’s around the Dirt? Sorry,I am a Parent.
Avy