Quantcast

Poison Ivy on the fence.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The plants act as a cap, preventing dust from getting in the air.

And do not fear - around my actual house there was a bunch of grading and excavation done. My foundation and front yard are actually in dirt that came from underneath the contaminated soil and has safe levels of toxic residue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The plants act as a cap, preventing dust from getting in the air.

And do not fear - around my actual house there was a bunch of grading and excavation done. My foundation and front yard are actually in dirt that came from underneath the contaminated soil and has safe levels of toxic residue.

Good thing it is always wet in the North West.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
AFAIK, Roundup HAS to hit the leaves. That's how it works. Science and shit.
Nah, not at all, I use concentrated Glyphosate on Lantana and Chinese Jasmine to kill it.
With the lantana you just cut a piece close to the base and paint both sides of the cut and it will hurt or kill the Lantana.
Chinese Jasmine is a whore of a plant and for that I scrape the bark back with a veggie peeler and drip Glyphosate on to it and after a few weeks that runner and some attached to it die, works way better than spraying and you don't have to worry about overspray damaging other plants.
If anyone knows how to kill a Liquid Amber I'm all ears, it seems to love Round-Up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nah, not at all, I use concentrated Glyphosate on Lantana and Chinese Jasmine to kill it.
With the lantana you just cut a piece close to the base and paint both sides of the cut and it will hurt or kill the Lantana.
Chinese Jasmine is a whore of a plant and for that I scrape the bark back with a veggie peeler and drip Glyphosate on to it and after a few weeks that runner and some attached to it die, works way better than spraying and you don't have to worry about overspray damaging other plants.
If anyone knows how to kill a Liquid Amber I'm all ears, it seems to love Round-Up.
?
1633021763785.png

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I know fruit tree growers who drill holes into tree stumps and fill them with roundup to kill the root stump.
I don’t even know how to respond to that Brother? I am not sure I understand what you are saying? Let me understand,they put the roundup to kill a fruit tree? If so,refer to my first sentence.

Back to more important matter’s. May I ask, how did you learn about the Lead matter when you bought your home?

I was glad to read about the dirt at the house.I was thinken,regarding plants,you should go Native to your area. They are cheaper from what I know,but more importantly,they really help all the bees,birds etc. I have been reading a lot about the importance of native plants and it is amazing how much it helps.Just thought I would share.
Avy

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
The lead sits there in the top of the soil and doesnt really move around much.

It's a little dangerous but just keeping stuff growing on the soil and wetting the dirt down before digging is good practice.
I've read that sunflowers do an excellent job with soil-based lead remediation, and the googlez suggests other "cover" crops could work almost just as well...

Hill and Cronin's experiment proved successful: The hemp plots had a 48 percent decline in lead levels, sunflower plots a 70 percent decline, and the mixed plots a 68 percent decline.

There was a complicating factor, though: Five hemp plants were stolen from Hill's yard that summer. She posted social media warnings not to try to smoke the plants, because the level of THC wasn't enough to get anyone high, plus they were likely loaded with heavy metals.

And an interesting read -- with even MOAR science

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I don’t even know how to respond to that Brother? I am not sure I understand what you are saying? Let me understand,they put the roundup to kill a fruit tree? If so,refer to my first sentence.

Back to more important matter’s. May I ask, how did you learn about the Lead matter when you bought your home?

I was glad to read about the dirt at the house.I was thinken,regarding plants,you should go Native to your area. They are cheaper from what I know,but more importantly,they really help all the bees,birds etc. I have been reading a lot about the importance of native plants and it is amazing how much it helps.Just thought I would share.
Avy
Alot of tree fruit growers plant orchard with a 25 year life span. Some orchardists even have a production model of orchard replacement every 12-15 years. Often for other reasons growers take out orchard. I suppose some rootstocks are harder to kill than others.

Anywhere orchard was planted back in the day is a likely culprit for lead and arsenic contamination. Where I live was in orchard from 1910-1965 so it was reasonable to assume. I called the state agency which manages this sort of ecological issue. They sent a guy out with a fancy gun and we walked around measuring the dirt.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
plants are amazing. my boy mel chin was working with scientists back in the early 90s on finding natural solutions for the mess we've created. art ain't just paintings on the walls! see: revival field here. also operation fundred for lead in soil. we commissioned "sea to see" in 2014 and now own it...
and ecology is just one part of his practice....

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
plants are amazing. my boy mel chin was working with scientists back in the early 90s on finding natural solutions for the mess we've created. art ain't just paintings on the walls! see: revival field here. also operation fundred for lead in soil. we commissioned "sea to see" in 2014 and now own it...
and ecology is just one part of his practice....
Wow,a lot of great information posted.Boost,it would be Sick to see a lot of Sunflowers on your land? Do they require a lot of water is my only thought?
Last I have somehow yanked,ripped,destroyed a muscle in my calf at work today.It is double the size of the other calf. I have no idea what is going on? Extreme pain,but able to hobble. Able to work in pain. Huge job on Monday that will last three mounths. 2 hundred thousand easy. Only 4 of us. Very worried.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Wow,a lot of great information posted.Boost,it would be Sick to see a lot of Sunflowers on your land? Do they require a lot of water is my only thought?
Last I have somehow yanked,ripped,destroyed a muscle in my calf at work today.It is double the size of the other calf. I have no idea what is going on? Extreme pain,but able to hobble. Able to work in pain. Huge job on Monday that will last three mounths. 2 hundred thousand easy. Only 4 of us. Very worried.
Avy
I would like to thank All of you for you’re support. It has been a hobble matter. We have now done 6 Patio Doors,along with 7 small pieces of glass. Have not gone to Dr. Calf still swollen but feeling better. I’m still limpin,but strong.

Boost,I was really wondering what you thought about the SunFlower’s on you’re trail? That would be amazing,no?
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Man I have sunflowers at the top of my list now! Right next to hemp, no doubt. Maybe I should just grow Sunhemp? That's a pretty robust cover crop anyway.

So your remodeling condominium's? Did you accidentally get poison ivy on your leg when it started to hurt? That could be painful I am guessing.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Man I have sunflowers at the top of my list now! Right next to hemp, no doubt. Maybe I should just grow Sunhemp? That's a pretty robust cover crop anyway.

So your remodeling condominium's? Did you accidentally get poison ivy on your leg when it started to hurt? That could be painful I am guessing.
Brother,the hemp and whatever else you want to grow on the mass of the land,then line your Trail with Suflowers,Holy,that would be Insane Beauty. How much water do they need? Maybe this is to expensive. Would Love to see it though.

No it’s just glass replacement,quarter inch,to insulated,and seven patio doors in one house. I didn’t make it,did 3 doors then on Wesnday my coworkers told me to go to the Dr. and dont come back. So it turns out it was cellulitas(spelling). Infection of blood in the leg.Still does not explain the muscle pop tome? Which hurts.Back to work on Wesnday,light duty which is impossible in my Trade.
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have the water covered as long as it snows in the mountains alot in the winter. I agree with you that mtb trails lined with sunflowers would be beauty. Way better than then scotch thistle we normally get out here in the desert.

Dude what's the biggest sheet of glass you've watched break? That is not easy work.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I have the water covered as long as it snows in the mountains alot in the winter. I agree with you that mtb trails lined with sunflowers would be beauty. Way better than then scotch thistle we normally get out here in the desert.

Dude what's the biggest sheet of glass you've watched break? That is not easy work.
Ummm,tough question Brother. I don’t watch Glass being broke,I take it out piece by piece. Now I do take Huge pieces of glass on a forklift over a huge dumpster and blow it up if it’s tempered,or push it off if plate. That is fun stuff blowing up tempered. I had some cool video,a whole A frame full off tempered being blown up due to miss measure. I don’t know where it is,I’ll ask my coworkers. So let me tell you of the biggest mirror I have installed. There have been many,but no one can touch Apple Computer. I am the Lead for Apple,I even have a Apple badge.FBI check on that boost,not clean? No Badge. Whenever a piece of glass breaks in one their buildings,Avy will be there,along with a . The SpaceShip boost,it is surreal,not possible,breathtaking. It is the only time I fell like I am in a Movie,not real,fake. In the Gym of the SpaceShip,you have wall to wall,floor to ceiling mirrors. Imagine 20 foot ceiling,as you span the area it is all glass,with a view of the on-site courtyard. So these tech nerds put the dumbbells on/off the bench and let it hit the mirror,which goes to the floor. I can not tell you how many times? But the SpaceShip is a Huge Matter. I need 7 men to remove one mirror. 5 are down low lifting up,as it is on brackets,and two are on 8 foot ladders off to the side handling balance for me. Then I bring back to the shop,we hand chip the whole mirror off.Put the new one on,drive back to Apple with the bitch wet and re-install.Very difficult,there is Sixteinth between each mirror,if I clam or chip on the new mirror,I failed. IE,the Boss lost money. It has never happened to me,knock on wood. There you have it boost,is that big enough? Peace
Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah it sounds like some badass work! Take a big piece of glass and lay it over the poison ivy, maybe you can cook that plant dead?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've read that sunflowers do an excellent job with soil-based lead remediation, and the googlez suggests other "cover" crops could work almost just as well...

Hill and Cronin's experiment proved successful: The hemp plots had a 48 percent decline in lead levels, sunflower plots a 70 percent decline, and the mixed plots a 68 percent decline.

There was a complicating factor, though: Five hemp plants were stolen from Hill's yard that summer. She posted social media warnings not to try to smoke the plants, because the level of THC wasn't enough to get anyone high, plus they were likely loaded with heavy metals.

And an interesting read -- with even MOAR science
I just put some Native Hop plants in and they take the lead levels up, hahaha!