Quantcast

Poison ivy treatments?

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
So, knowing that mtb is taking place in the woods, I expect that at least a few of you on here have gotten it before. Does anybody have any remedies or a certain type of medecine they take for it? All I end up doing is getting some steroids that are supposed to help it, but usually don't seem to do much.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
if you take and scratch open all the blisters and make them ooze, and then scrub them with a washcloth soaked in bleach, that will dry them out. You may have to do it a couple of times, but it works.

*warning* - it burns like hell fire when you first do it, so be sure to premise this treatment with a healthy dosage of beer

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
metalhead119042 said:
So, knowing that mtb is taking place in the woods, I expect that at least a few of you on here have gotten it before. Does anybody have any remedies or a certain type of medecine they take for it? All I end up doing is getting some steroids that are supposed to help it, but usually don't seem to do much.
I take a COLD shower and use Tecnu. I will do this immediately after I get PO, and for the several days following a breakout. It seems to speed the recovery along, or at least better than just letting things run their course.

I try to avoid the steroids at all costs.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
There was just a short review of remedies and preventatives in this month's "National Geographic - Adventure" It seemed that spray deoderant was one of the best preventatives. Problem was that you had to spray it on every hour or so because it rubs off.

I personally find that long pants / shirt while around it and a cold shower with lots of soap as soon as humanly possible after contact is the best way to keep from getting it. If you can wash your hands and face frequently while working. That way you don't spread it when you rub the sweat off your forehead or scratch your nuts.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
actually there was a commercial that was on during the tour coverage this morning, for a poison ivey remedy.

it was a two part system.
a creme to draw the toxin out of the skin, and a spray i believe to stop the itch.

i didn't catch the brand name.
perhaps a pharmacist would have more info.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
Cooter Brown said:
if you take and scratch open all the blisters and make them ooze, and then scrub them with a washcloth soaked in bleach, that will dry them out. You may have to do it a couple of times, but it works.

*warning* - it burns like hell fire when you first do it, so be sure to premise this treatment with a healthy dosage of beer
thats the same way ive done it for years hiking in the woods and my papa's farm

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stoney98 said:
3: Use Claratin 24 or generic to kill itch.

You've found this to work too? I started taking Claratin for general allergies a few years ago and have found that I just don't get poison ivy like I used to even when I've waded through the stuff. I've always suspected it was due in part to Claratin.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
stoney98 said:
1: Cold shower upon returning home. Use Techu for soap.
2. IF oak shows up, get Zanfel. It's expensive, but well worth it. Use per directions, will kill oak in 30 secs.

I'm an expert. If I look at oak, I get it. I've had 98% of my body covered, and had it so bad my junk looked like a leathery soup can. The above will make your poison oak/ivy covered self happy.
any amount of $$$ is worth spending in the search for relief.

where we ride i warn noobs that just figure that everything that isn't a tree, is poison ivey.
cause it's pretty much the truth.

(leathery soup can, not good.)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
stoney98 said:
2. IF oak shows up, get Zanfel. It's expensive, but well worth it. Use per directions, will kill oak in 30 secs.

I'm an expert. If I look at oak, I get it. I've had 98% of my body covered, and had it so bad my junk looked like a leathery soup can. The above will make your poison oak/ivy covered self happy.
I agree completely with your suggestions. As a poor chump who has been hopitalized for poison ivy/oak twice now, I have come to the same conclusions regarding its treatment.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I get poison ivy extremely easy and have had it about 3 times this year. Like Stoney I have had it all over my junk. For small outbreaks I usually just scratch the **** out of it until there is no more poison ivy, or skin for that matter. Larger patches get calamine lotion. Sure you may look like a fruit booter with big pink patches on your skin, but it does kill it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
I pretty much just dont scratch it and it goes away in a day or two.
agreed, I may try to go swimming in a well chlorinated pool as well.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Cooter Brown said:

One of my riding buddies Kenny does this... uses a brillo pad and ajax. Its totally insane. Personally I use this stuff called ivy stat, works in about a week.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you ride in areas where you know you'll be exposed, use Technu as soon as possible after every ride - don't wait for the rash to show up. It usually takes two or three days for the rash to appear and by then you've probably spread it around on your body, in your bed, etc. At that point Technu will help it from spreading more and will dry out the rash. I keep a bottle of technu in the shower and use it after just about every ride.

Zanfel works great but is ridiculously expensive. There is a new Technu product called "Technu Extreme" or something similar that is very similar to Zanfel but less money.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
Cooter Brown said:

ive had the pleasure of doing that one, at least my legs smelled spring rain fresh when i was done.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
stoney98 said:
:stupid:

I recently had a breakout and asked my Dr. for a 'scrip of Prednisone, the only thing that ever seems to stop the reaction for me. She suggested that since I've used it SO many time I should take OTC Benedryl, 2 pills 3 times a day. It made me very tired but I had no itching/discomfort and the reaction stopped and was clear in about a week.

PI sucks ass.

I dnt know if anyone said this yet but I get deathly allergic to poison ivy...if you can afford it and have health insurance goto the hopital and have them give you a shot of steriods in your butt and they will prescribe you some to take...gosh it works wonders for me!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Claratin makes the itch go away. It's a histamine blocker, which is what causes the painful itch. Do as as Stoney suggested above, that will get rid of your poison ivy

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
get the 24hour stuff. I take it every 12 hours for 2-3 days and it blocks the histamine long enough to let the Zanfel do it's thing.