Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
To play devils advocate here the dude felt something was wrong before so the crack may be due to earlier abuse.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm just being anal about not using anecdotal cases where we don't see how the bike was used most of the time in determining their durability.
An over-stress event would usually result in a catastrophic failure on the spot, like tearing apart the metal, instead of a crack. Not always, but more likely. A JRA failure indicates something propagating until the structure could no longer support normal cycles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
An over-stress event would usually result in a catastrophic failure on the spot, like tearing apart the metal, instead of a crack. Not always, but more likely. A JRA failure indicates something propagating until the structure could no longer support normal cycles.
this is why you FMEA

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I get it but it's still impossible. Not really trying to defend them here. Just not wanting RM to become Pinkbike forums.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
this is why you FMEA
FMEA alone won't do shit. Apply the wrong numbers, don't give that extra space for freak accidents during use and you will still have issues. This was really visible in Banshee where the bikes that went through their testing for regular riders programme were way way more durable than the ones that didn't.

The real answer is "this is why you need a no BS engineer" who is interesting in making a practical bike, not one that looks great in brochures.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FMEA alone won't do shit. Apply the wrong numbers, don't give that extra space for freak accidents during use and you will still have issues. This was really visible in Banshee where the bikes that went through their testing for regular riders programme were way way more durable than the ones that didn't.

The real answer is "this is why you need a no BS engineer" who is interesting in making a practical bike, not one that looks great in brochures.
You sure you're not confusing FMEA with FEA?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On a recent episode of Vital podcast, Joe Lawill talked about some component(s) of the M9100 XTR groupo failing Richie Rude Test twice just as Shimano was getting ready to go into full production.
We used to always joke that Nathan Rennie-proof should have been some international recognized tier of durability.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
(That should really cut down on their sales in Kenya...like the Chevy Nova in Mexico...)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm just being anal about not using anecdotal cases where we don't see how the bike was used most of the time in determining their durability.
Tommy (Dude stood talking) is a reasonably successful UK mtb Youtuber who puts out a few videos/Vlogs a month. Bennez (dude who's bike broke) is his mate. And as such is regularly seen riding various UK riding spots with Tommy and a few others. Because of this there's actually quite a lot of footage available showing exactly how the bike was used. I'm not expecting you to watch it all to make up your mind (and neither would I) so let's just say Bennez used his Pole mountain bike frame "most of the time" for mountainbiking.
and it broke.
From that outcome it's probably a reasonable conclusion to come to that it's durability wasn't great!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Tommy (Dude stood talking) is a reasonably successful UK mtb Youtuber who puts out a few videos/Vlogs a month. Bennez (dude who's bike broke) is his mate. And as such is regularly seen riding various UK riding spots with Tommy and a few others. Because of this there's actually quite a lot of footage available showing exactly how the bike was used. I'm not expecting you to watch it all to make up your mind (and neither would I) so let's just say Bennez used his Pole mountain bike frame "most of the time" for mountainbiking.
and it broke.
From that outcome it's probably a reasonable conclusion to come to that it's durability wasn't great!
"mountainbiking"? I assume it's Greg for "used as intended" ;) . Yeah good enough for me. I'm not really questioning their durability problems. I just don't like the "i saw one broken online" argument.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
"mountainbiking"? I assume it's Greg for "used as intended" ;) . Yeah good enough for me. I'm not really questioning their durability problems. I just don't like the "i saw one broken online" argument.
Can't remember if I posted this, but a buddy broke his Evolink (both chainstays I think he said). He bought the new Norco Sight and ran it for a few weeks but ended up buying another Evolink up as he reckons he just preferred it that much more. Given the new Sight is a pretty damn progressive bike its surprising he really felt it was an unadaptable difference.

*edit* also I'm relatively surprised when people go back to stuff that broke for them. Admittedly I bought two more Transitions after my Scout broke, but they're a bit burlier around the chainstay on the newer models. But I've got a friend who bent a handlebar completely in a minor incident, and bought the same friggen brand and everything just because they liked the colour.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dude i rode with yesterday has broken 4 enduros in a row-every model year since 2016. but he works at a shop and is a former world class bmx racer and local pro dh racer...so he gets full replacement and bro deals

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Can't remember if I posted this, but a buddy broke his Evolink (both chainstays I think he said). He bought the new Norco Sight and ran it for a few weeks but ended up buying another Evolink up as he reckons he just preferred it that much more. Given the new Sight is a pretty damn progressive bike its surprising he really felt it was an unadaptable difference.

*edit* also I'm relatively surprised when people go back to stuff that broke for them. Admittedly I bought two more Transitions after my Scout broke, but they're a bit burlier around the chainstay on the newer models. But I've got a friend who bent a handlebar completely in a minor incident, and bought the same friggen brand and everything just because they liked the colour.
I think there are a few super long bikes with similar numbers to secret pole numbers so I'm surprised he didn't just go with a nicolai or some other brand

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think there are a few super long bikes with similar numbers to secret pole numbers so I'm surprised he didn't just go with a nicolai or some other brand
Super hard to get some boutique brands over here so I'd guess that's gotta be a factor. Plus I guess he knows what he liked and figured the risk was worth it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Super hard to get some boutique brands over here so I'd guess that's gotta be a factor. Plus I guess he knows what he liked and figured the risk was worth it.
He can always just go one size up. Also Nicolai sends their shit afaik. I'd be really happy if I could afford one of those boxy things