Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The engineer in the company I worked at said 7000 series was significantly stronger than 6000 ...
And this is why you can't nicely hydroform it. But round-tubed frames are soooo last century, who wants to get caught on one these days? ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The engineer in the company I worked at said 7000 series was significantly stronger than 6000 and his reason for using it was not because he didn't need to buy a heat treat oven. I trusted him. The super duper tech was the even stronger 7000 series with some scandium mixed in that they used to get from Easton and now from a Taiwanese supplier with even more scandium. It's amazing how thin some sections of tubing are in my 2300g tandem frame they made from it.
7000 is stronger. Not denying that. It's just a ton of Euro companies were using them back in the day because of availability. 15 years ago most Yurp companies were using 7005 not 6061. Also because of no heat treating. My Czech Turner DHR knockoff was made from 7005. Also many wonky engineers fetishize getting better materials and they forget about proper testing. Though what's the point of using super duper 7075 when you can't weld it? It's good for bars, it's good for other parts that can be cnc'd but not frames.

To me Pole seems to be chasing "cool" engineering ideas instead of ones that actually work. I was tempted by the pole due to geo but then again you can get a Nicolai geometron with as crazy geo (or your own custom) and have a bike that will not fail (but will also have crazy euro engineering ideas).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or just enduro cervelo
got i remember the shop i worked at received one of the first orders of some new fancy carbon road bike way back, i think 2005. half the frames on the pallet came separated after shipment. sent 'em all back. cancelled the account with them.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
And this is why you can't nicely hydroform it. But round-tubed frames are soooo last century, who wants to get caught on one these days? ;)
You could go 7005 Easton RAD tubes for a more modern look ;) ;)

Is Nicolai the only company that went full retard and didn't go bust? I was pretty bummed that Empire never came out with a third frame, they were doing hollow cast swingarms on their AM frame.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Although they have some QC issues at the moment, and are out of my price range, I would love to try one or both of the new Stamina 140 or 180. Although it seems I would be taking my life in my hands, they do sound like they are onto something, Every article and test seems to say they do not ride like you may assume just looking at the numbers and that when it comes to pure speed they are a different animal. I don't know if It would be the best fit for me, but I would love to see if they really are like the articles make them out to be?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is Pole offering anything that radical at this point?
Other frames in 2020 have similar geo, probably cheaper, probably not falling to pieces beneath you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Other frames in 2020 have similar geo, probably cheaper, probably not falling to pieces beneath you.
You do realize this is the only crankset you can use on it:
1589601551179.png

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I'd be curious which brands Geo are the most similar to pole stamina?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Each frame soon to come with a complementary bottle of glue! (No c-clamps though. those will be sold seperately but milled from a full block of aluminum for only 149,95$)
*clamps milled from two blocks and glued together
However the clamps also come with a complementary bottle of glue.