Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's called "unscheduled rapid disassembly" technology.
They just used the patented "intentional play in key areas" design mixed with "we design a standard and then our frames are not made to its dimensions so nothing fits" philosophy.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I had a Business Calculus professor at Cal Poly that during the first day of the class said "the reason most professors teach is that they couldn't make it in private industry". He then said to keep that in the back of your mind while in Business classes.....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I used to think aerospace meant cutting edge, now that I have worked in the industry it means an expensive clusterfuck.
Every industry and profession has a moron majority. In some cases the majority is 90% in others it's 99% but incompetence isn't something that's only related to investment wanking or therapists.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I had a Business Calculus professor at Cal Poly that during the first day of the class said "the reason most professors teach is that they couldn't make it in private industry". He then said to keep that in the back of your mind while in Business classes.....
That's also a reason why a lot of business research is bad. Same for management. Too few talented people want to go to research in those fields which results in low quality teaching. I know one very good managment researcher but she is rather salty about what is being thought in local unis.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That's also a reason why a lot of business research is bad. Same for management. Too few talented people want to go to research in those fields which results in low quality teaching. I know one very good managment researcher but she is rather salty about what is being thought in local unis.
I lost $75K in about 1 month playing the futures market in that class. So that was a sign to stay clear of stocks for me.....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I lost $75K in about 1 month playing the futures market in that class. So that was a sign to stay clear of stocks for me.....
or more practice. But short term stock play has always been stupid. Didn't Buffet bet with some hotshot he couldn't beat an Index Fund over a certain period of time? I remember he won that bet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Updated towards the end. The Pole may be falling.

Pole will continue as an owner-managed company, as Leo Kokkonen takes the leading role.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
If it were me, I'd at least bolt a metal headtube badge on to help keep the headtube together.

What a fucking shit show. The shock mount is one of the more bobo things I've ever seen on a bike. Like something right out of early 90s abominations.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
If it were me, I'd at least bolt a metal headtube badge on to help keep the headtube together.

What a fucking shit show. The shock mount is one of the more bobo things I've ever seen on a bike. Like something right out of early 90s abominations.
I never noticed the shock mount.
Wtf why?

Regarding the head tube.
Yeah some have catastrophically failed....
But imagine the flexing occurring during more normal high load situations that shit is probably moving under some pretty low loads
Would be fun to put it in a fixture and measure the distortion with different loads applied to the front wheel.

It's a pretty stupid design.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I never noticed the shock mount.
Wtf why?

Regarding the head tube.
Yeah some have catastrophically failed....
But imagine the flexing occurring during more normal high load situations that shit is probably moving under some pretty low loads
Would be fun to put it in a fixture and measure the distortion with different loads applied to the front wheel.

It's a pretty stupid design.
Based on the way that head tube exploded, it seems that Leo is more into reconstructive dentistry than engineering. But to be fair, his steerer tube ejection technology does protect the fork from damage.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've broken a few chainstays over the years, and a couple of shock mounts and a seat tube. I've even cracked a stem and bent a few sets of bars. But the idea of a sudden head tube separation or bar/stem snapping still gives me an eye twitch. How people take chances at that end of the bike is beyond me.

Mad props to those brave test pilots. You mental fuckers.