Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never noticed the shock mount.
Wtf why?

Regarding the head tube.
Yeah some have catastrophically failed....
But imagine the flexing occurring during more normal high load situations that shit is probably moving under some pretty low loads
Would be fun to put it in a fixture and measure the distortion with different loads applied to the front wheel.

It's a pretty stupid design.
Trying to maintain pivot location and low standover/seat tube height I presume. Design is all about balancing compromises, this compromised strength over everything else.

woffa04

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
The broken shock mount image is my brother's frame. This was after a slight lip developed on the join under the top tube.
My frame lasted under 10 rides before it started to develop a lips and a gap in the join. Severely disappointed after waiting almost a year for the frame.
It is make or break now for Pole in how they handle this over the next 6 months.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They should change their name to Evil Bikes 2.0.
I guess at least Evil could blame somebody else for the manufacturing issues.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They should change their name to Evil Bikes 2.0.
I guess at least Evil could blame somebody else for the manufacturing issues.
The difference is Evil wasn't going the "Everyone is wrong, we are the best. People on the forums are stupid. Steve M and his Youtube is wrong. We are the best".

Evil made mistakes and it took a long time to fix but their response was reasonable even if super slow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The difference is Evil wasn't going the "Everyone is wrong, we are the best. People on the forums are stupid. Steve M and his Youtube is wrong. We are the best".

Evil made mistakes and it took a long time to fix but their response was reasonable even if super slow.
That is really the defining line, there are people out there that are inherently bad people. Maybe there's nothing they can do about it, but they try to take advantage of everyone and every situation and in their mind, as long as they can "get away with it", they are "right". The good people try to make it right and admit failures and mistakes. No one expects perfection, it's how they deal with the issues that come up. Those that never admit any failure or wrong are usually the least trustworthy.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I saw a pole machine in real life today, and the guy was jumping it, and it didn’t break. I consider my self lucky because I didn’t get aluminum or glue sharp in my eye. He was there after I left so I’m sure it broke in half after I left most certainly his fault.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Took you 18 years to sell it? I knew they were a hard sell but not that bad.
Used it as a trailbike. It was that one off redrilled joker with 140mm of travel that was called Joker XC and Tony accidentally gave it good geo (long TT, 67 head angle, BB not super high for its time)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What are you going to get?
Leaning towards The Propain but I'll probably buying in early 2021 after GF starts earning money so if I find a deal this may change. I'm selling my DH rig too so it's a process. This all gives me time to lose covid weight. Working from home vs walking and biking to work and closed gyms does not work well. Madeira has almost killed me

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've actually ridden three different 2021 enduro bikes this week.
Well... actually 3 different sizes (M, L & XL) of the same very successful Enduro bike
No. Not an Ebike ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah mate

Just like Goldilocks
Didn't really enjoy riding Daddy bear, Baby bear was a little short in the saddle but more fun stood up and momma bear felt juuuuust about right ;)

Still don't want a 29er in my life though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've ridden 2019/20s a fair bit and the ride isn't massively different to the pretty sorted last gen 290 as improvements are pretty subtle. Slightly slacker HA, slightly shorter stays, steeper seat tube (which I don't personally like or need) a 5mm goalpost move in sizing/recommended rider height to fit in an XXL. They do look a lot nicer without the horrible seat mast the 2019 had and the downtube coming down infront of the BB to allow the bottle space doesn't look anywhere near as bad in real life.
You'll need to be quick if you want one. They're selling out fast before they even land so getting a test ride/demo is gonna be nigh on impossible here, nevermind on your side of the planet.
If I was tempted by a 29er derp it'd def be on the list.
The alu bikes are pretty heavy if that matters to you. but pretty damn capable DH for it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Was it to the guy on here looking for Avalanche forks?
Naah but he was super pushy in how fast he wanted the bike because he was leaving somewhere and then I found the bike in a service area of my local bike shop 2 months later.
Then again how often do you get to feel really extreme and risky when you buy a frame known for breaking with a prototype stem on it too for some extra thrills.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Naah but he was super pushy in how fast he wanted the bike because he was leaving somewhere and then I found the bike in a service area of my local bike shop 2 months later.
Then again how often do you get to feel really extreme and risky when you buy a frame known for breaking with a prototype stem on it too for some extra thrills.
If you see him again can you ask if he plans on coming to Australia?
I have a new Corsair frame with a factory crack that he might like.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've ridden 2019/20s a fair bit and the ride isn't massively different to the pretty sorted last gen 290 as improvements are pretty subtle. Slightly slacker HA, slightly shorter stays, steeper seat tube (which I don't personally like or need) a 5mm goalpost move in sizing/recommended rider height to fit in an XXL. They do look a lot nicer without the horrible seat mast the 2019 had and the downtube coming down infront of the BB to allow the bottle space doesn't look anywhere near as bad in real life.
You'll need to be quick if you want one. They're selling out fast before they even land so getting a test ride/demo is gonna be nigh on impossible here, nevermind on your side of the planet.
If I was tempted by a 29er derp it'd def be on the list.
The alu bikes are pretty heavy if that matters to you. but pretty damn capable DH for it.
Any chance for non XL 2019's anywhere in the UK?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

New Stamina 160. Mullet or 29".
Bloody hell they're not cheap. Good to see more mullet options coming out tho

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
hahahaha $6kcad frame only. guess they've got to cover all those warranty replacements somehow...
Yeah, the Privateer is a lot more affordable, but obviously a lot less complex and polished. The Raw Madonna is somewhere in the middle i think