Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It Sunday arvo and I've been on the post-ride beers a bit so forgive this but why in the fuck aren't at least some major manufacturers taking the geo tech that Pole and Nicolai have been pushing at punching out an affordable and reliable version, even just as an experiment? Like I agree that stuff isn't for everyone, and its not suited to the average punter, but surely its more suited than some of the other niche shit that makes it to production.

The new Commencals are probably the largest manufacturer putting out a rig with those kind of numbers and they still fall a long way short on a couple of metrics. Is it a case of brand reputation or something?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It Sunday arvo and I've been on the post-ride beers a bit so forgive this but why in the fuck aren't at least some major manufacturers taking the geo tech that Pole and Nicolai have been pushing at punching out an affordable and reliable version, even just as an experiment? Like I agree that stuff isn't for everyone, and its not suited to the average punter, but surely its more suited than some of the other niche shit that makes it to production.

The new Commencals are probably the largest manufacturer putting out a rig with those kind of numbers and they still fall a long way short on a couple of metrics. Is it a case of brand reputation or something?
My guess - most of the larger bike companies are selling to bike shops, not end-users. The bike shop business is generally pretty shitty - you essentially buy inventory on credit and hope you'll sell enough to turn a profit during the summer. Bike shops typically avoid anything they worry they may have a hard time selling - i.e. things that are radically different. Direct-to-consumer niche brands don't need to worry about that, plus their small size and comparatively low overhead makes experimentation easier. The big brands can just wait and copy something that takes off or iterate slowly.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
nicolai is still cheaper than what most companies ask for their carbon frames?
Yeah. And the build quality is absolutely top notch.

My guess - most of the larger bike companies are selling to bike shops, not end-users. The bike shop business is generally pretty shitty - you essentially buy inventory on credit and hope you'll sell enough to turn a profit during the summer. Bike shops typically avoid anything they worry they may have a hard time selling - i.e. things that are radically different. Direct-to-consumer niche brands don't need to worry about that, plus their small size and comparatively low overhead makes experimentation easier. The big brands can just wait and copy something that takes off or iterate slowly.
Also that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bike shops typically avoid anything they worry they may have a hard time selling - i.e. things that are radically different.
This is a double bladed sword, because being "safe" and "conservative" leads to a wall of 100mm+ stems that will never be sold. The trick is predicting the trends and what will be sell-able, but I've seen both sides, the shops that over-extended with "cool stuff" and the ones that were too afraid to break out of what they were used to doing, both out of business.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
This is a double bladed sword, because being "safe" and "conservative" leads to a wall of 100mm+ stems that will never be sold. The trick is predicting the trends and what will be sell-able, but I've seen both sides, the shops that over-extended with "cool stuff" and the ones that were too afraid to break out of what they were used to doing, both out of business.
I spent some time as a regional sales rep for Marin. From what I saw most shops that were large with a long track record were fairly conservative in what they'd buy. They also tended to be the shops that would work the finance department.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Bike shops typically avoid anything they worry they may have a hard time selling - i.e. things that are radically different.
I get that, but from what I've seen there is a decent demand for the newer geo trends. Over here, the brands that gave that stuff a go sold out faster than the more traditional designs by far.

I guess Trek/Giant etc aren't gonna risk anything too crazy with their volumes and safe market spaces. I just don't know why they don't occasionally throw out a random boundary pushing model now and then to see how it goes. I mean if Trek saw the Stache as a viable model to put out there, surely a Nicolai rip-off could sneak through.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I get that, but from what I've seen there is a decent demand for the newer geo trends. Over here, the brands that gave that stuff a go sold out faster than the more traditional designs by far.

I guess Trek/Giant etc aren't gonna risk anything too crazy with their volumes and safe market spaces. I just don't know why they don't occasionally throw out a random boundary pushing model now and then to see how it goes. I mean if Trek saw the Stache as a viable model to put out there, surely a Nicolai rip-off could sneak through.
what makes you believe a trek frame would be more „affordable“ than one from nicolai?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
what makes you believe a trek frame would be more „affordable“ than one from nicolai?
Retail pricing might be similar, but there's a waaaaay better chance of getting a deal on a big brand than a Nicolai.

Fair point though. The RRP on the new Stumpjumper Evo frames here is the same as a Santa Cruz, Yeti or Transition.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
It Sunday arvo and I've been on the post-ride beers a bit so forgive this but why in the fuck aren't at least some major manufacturers taking the geo tech that Pole and Nicolai have been pushing at punching out an affordable and reliable version, even just as an experiment?
1. Experiments are expensive.
2. Super long bikes with super steep STAs and super slack HTAs aren't for everyone, even if the bike media needs you to believe otherwise.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I picture the Daisy Hill carpark full of Geometrons and Privateers and it makes me happy.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I picture the Daisy Hill carpark full of Geometrons and Privateers and it makes me happy.
Totally underbiked for Daisy with a Geometron.....

Honestly you'd laugh so hard if you saw that place now. It is just an e-bike freeway for corporate types.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
2. Super long bikes with super steep STAs and super slack HTAs aren't for everyone, even if the bike media needs you to believe otherwise.
Well yeah, but my point is that big brands have such a model spread of weird and wonderful shite that I'm surprised they can't shoehorn in a slightly exciting model in between their full suspension fat-bike singlespeed and their gravel-cross specific upduro flat bar bike.

Obviously I'm pretty out of touch with what is selling worldwide, but can't see why they don't dip their toes a bit more. I guess Spesh did it with the aluminium-at-first approach with the Stumpy EVO, which it has now gone full hog with after they sold well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one of the shops i used to work at had a 4 year old tri bike still sitting on the floor, brand new.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Ludicrously long lead times on the Privateers currently. My co worker was supposed to have his by now and delivery date just got bumped to June.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'll need to ask, but I think 6 to 8 weeks ago. Maybe he was exaggerating as he was trying to justify the Hightower frame he had just purchased instead.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
still costing £2,989.00 GBP, that’s around 3320 eur right now, mtb-news.de in may said the price would be 3399eur. dunno what you are complaining about again...

View attachment 153099
The price on their site is different. UK Price is 2989 GBP but EU Price is not 3330E. Their EU Shop lists the price as 3979
Zrzut ekranu 2020-12-05 o 18.00.34.png