Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That's uh... a weird thing to hate. VC money comes in with the expectation of failure generally. It's a "invest in 100 companies because one of them will be successful enough that the other 99 folding doesn't matter."

It's not a public company. There's no pumping going on. They're not fluffing it to make it look pretty to sell it to some sucker. This wasn't the fault of VC money. Like there's tons of shady shit going on in the VC world when it comes to moving companies from private to public while they get busy hiding skeletons - but in this particular case that's not really relevant, or the case.

Pole got an outside investment. Their job was to use that money to expand into a viable and profitable company.

Instead of doing that, they made bikes that folded in half, cost a ton to produce with long delivery times, picked fights with their customer base and then went under when the excess demand coming from the covid boom came to its predictable end.
The problem is the VC mentality of growth at all costs which often leads to overinstestment and growth in areas where it made no sense. Hell very often the VC strategy is pushing for an innovative company to chase a monopoly.

Also "it's not a public company so there is no pumping done". Lol. I mean later rounds of investors are some of the people it's being pumpued on, later companies who might acquire a company or suckers at the IPO. This is how Peloton, a company producing only stationary bikes got valued at...checks notes... 33% of the global healthcare industry. But yes no pump and dump where companies are valued at crazy prices because there is an expectation there will always be a sucker down the road who will pay the price.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
TBF these kids are all good riders who all ride, dig and race a shit ton more than us old whingers on here.
Their parents aren't particularly well off. (Certainly not poor - hardworking tradesmen etc).
Speak for yourself. I ride dig race lots. But id sure whinge more than them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Never did find out if those 8"/12" monster's used actual moto carts with decent damping, as opposed to the 7" with HSCV. I sawed apart HSCV, RC2 and RC3 cartridges back in the day to find out how they worked.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Now that you mention it... Their gravel and endurance racer (current & 5x 24hr MTB world champ) who they've sponsored forever was just let go. I thought it was odd, but could be a sign they're out of money.
Read something about 2024 bikes being held in Taiwan for non payments.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
dude, i have seen them in person and they are nice. i've seen a few pop up on the vintage pages. would be a cousin for my xprezo.
I've never seen one, a bb7 was my first dual suspension frame, I bought it from former member No Skid Marks.
It was a tall, short frame, but it was only a medium and I needed a large.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I like the gearing that 12 speed has to offer.

But the facts are, SRAM 11s XO is the best drivetrain ever made. Fight me.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've never seen one, a bb7 was my first dual suspension frame, I bought it from former member No Skid Marks.
I'm so sad I left my 2002 bb7 frame at my old apartment with a friend when I moved to Nelson for a year with gf in 2012 and when I returned a year later asked if he still had it in the storage and he had thrown it out :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have an xprexo furax which was the DH bike from another company run by at least some of the guys from balfa / appalache. Last year out of curiosity I measured the geo, everything was largely within a few mm or a degree or so of modern bikes with 2 exceptions: the BB is a touch higher (but that's to compensate for it having 8.5" of travel vs the most common 8") and the reach & overall length are like 3" shorter (but it was designed for 26" wheels, this comparison was done against a 29" bike; should add here it has clearance for 275 wheels which is what i'm currently running).

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
I'm so sad I left my 2002 bb7 frame at my old apartment with a friend when I moved to Nelson for a year with gf in 2012 and when I returned a year later asked if he still had it in the storage and he had thrown it out :(
damn, that hurts. really cool bikes (albeit, i've never ridden a BB).

also, the appalache real was sweet. that's one brand (ok, some formulation of the 3: balfa / appalache / xprezo) that'd i'd love to see rise from the grave. a modern alu front / steel rear high pivot iteration from that crew (built in quebec, of course) would be rad.

my old xprezo adhoc still lives on - handed off to my son.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
damn, that hurts. really cool bikes (albeit, i've never ridden a BB).

also, the appalache real was sweet. that's one brand (ok, some formulation of the 3: balfa / appalache / xprezo) that'd i'd love to see rise from the grave. a modern alu front / steel rear high pivot iteration from that crew (built in quebec, of course) would be rad.
any idea what happened to those guys after xprezo went under?

i managed to score most of another furax frame from a guy on pinkbike, he had a bunch of rando xprezo stuff, best I could gather is he acquired a large batch of it at auction when after they closed up shop.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
A friend is actually getting his own custom designed full-suspension frame welded by Xprezo's ex-main guy, so I guess they're still kinda doing bikes. Just need to come up with your design :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A friend is actually getting his own custom designed full-suspension frame welded by Xprezo's ex-main guy, so I guess they're still kinda doing bikes. Just need to come up with your design :D
that's pretty cool actually. glad to see they are still making bikes, they had some cool designs and ideas that were ahead of their time (mixed materials in frames). is there a website or something?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
looks like phil was a welder / machinist @ balfa & xprezo. hugo bardou (started xprezo), and jerome roy (fired up appalache) were the OG balfa founders. now curious where those 2 ended up...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I like the gearing that 12 speed has to offer.

But the facts are, SRAM 11s XO is the best drivetrain ever made. Fight me.
Another vote for the XX1 11sp. I have bikes with full XO.1 Eagle drivetrains, but the XX1 11sp on my hardtail is in a class of its own.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looks like phil was a welder / machinist @ balfa & xprezo. hugo bardou (started xprezo), and jerome roy (fired up appalache) were the OG balfa founders. now curious where those 2 ended up...
i met philippe when I was at the xprexo factory, very nice guy. IIRC hugo was around, but i didn't spend as much time with him. we were only there for the morning.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I say it's 11spd XX1. I prefer the silver cassette to black. The shifter & derailleur are lighter. The chain is lighter.
By like 3g, the X01 11 is the same exact thing. This ain't like XT and XTR where the parts are fundamentally different, the X01 and XX1 is fundamentally exactly the same.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Another vote for the XX1 11sp. I have bikes with full XO.1 Eagle drivetrains, but the XX1 11sp on my hardtail is in a class of its own.
Tomato Tomato. It's the same thing with a different color and a 3g weight difference but hell yah if it makes you feel good. Either way, best drivetrain ever made.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't miss my balfa at all, my 37 pound hardtail was all I needed at that time.
It had the momentum that 29er people carry on about but with the nimbleness of 26" wheels.

Back to Pole, their 5yr transferable warranty seemed pretty crazy and I always wondered what would happen to the bond if you get one of those acidic sweat people riding one?

Last edited: