jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
crazy. i thought we were done with the bad old days of snappy bikes. i guess with sub 30lb trail bikes sporting dh geometry, something has got to give.
yeti's are known to fail still. a guy that works in my building broke 3 over a 2 year period recently (i'd say '16-'18)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So pinkbike covers up a rocky mountain failure but not a pole one.

So rocky buys more ad space. Pinkbike sucks. And they wonder why we blame canada.

funny how that pole blog post just guarenteed even further that I'll never buy a bike from those guys.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nobody has ever broken a production part during a test.

Ever.

If it was production and breaks, it is immediately re-badged as pre-production.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
he's certainly smart & aggressive enough to accomplish some pretty neat things for a very young company; someone just needs to put a filter on that ego from from an end user interface standpoint.
I don't disagree with that...but his attitude 100% makes me never interested in remotely considering his products

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So pinkbike covers up a rocky mountain failure but not a pole one.

So rocky buys more ad space. Pinkbike sucks. And they wonder why we blame canada.
Ah PB said they'll reveal the Rocky broke when they publish the review on it so they can provide more context.

FWIW, I've heard of a few Poles breaking or splitting apart at the join. They're rare as hen's teeth though so haven't actually seen one go.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That compromises my narrative and hence worldview. So I will not be accepting that.
Apparently the dude that was on it got properly hurt in the crash. Don't know if it was cause-effect on the crash/frame break but I've already got my pitchfork sharpened and torch lit so I'm gonna say the frame actually exploded into a fireball and we should start a witchhunt now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Apparently the dude that was on it got properly hurt in the crash. Don't know if it was cause-effect on the crash/frame break but I've already got my pitchfork sharpened and torch lit so I'm gonna say the frame actually exploded into a fireball and we should start a witchhunt now.
did you know................rocky mountain tried to sue transition over the tr500,450,250 frames, claming they infringed on those piece of shit RM7,8,9 designs? Regardless of prior art via turner dhr, ventanta cuervo and such.

so anything that makes rocky mountain look bad, I'm in

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
did you know................rocky mountain tried to sue transition over the tr500,450,250 frames, claming they infringed on those piece of shit RM7,8,9 designs?
Why would anyone want to copy a RM7? hahhahahahahahahah

You could just sell the swingarm in two pieces and skip a step.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Why would anyone want to copy a RM7? hahhahahahahahahah

You could just sell the swingarm in two pieces and skip a step.
i owned an rm7 for a season. it wasn't a bad bike to ride, and the swingarm remained intact (the 6's were prone to snapping on a regular basis), but the over-leveraged shock hardware and interfaces bent & wallowed out in short order (had to pop can shim the play out), and the front triangle cracked, soooo...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i owned an rm7 for a season. it wasn't a bad bike to ride, and the swingarm remained intact (the 6's were prone to snapping on a regular basis), but the over-leveraged shock hardware and interfaces bent & wallowed out in short order (had to pop can shim the play out), and the front triangle cracked, soooo...

Transition BCO: "We gotta git summa dat!!"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've been wanting to break this down since I saw it earlier today, it is truly epic:

Hello friend! Firstly, your bike is fine, but we made a mistake. We have sent by accident a prototype part to PinkBike’s field test and the prototype swingarm has failed.
Ok, this is starting out fine: We screwed up.

Apparently the swingarm failed in their huck to flat fest, but we don’t know the actual events.
Wait..what? So you are just talking out your ass? Catastrophic failure vs. failure from a crack is usually pretty easy to tell, so by saying you don't know the actual events, it seriously makes you look like an idiot. Just because something failed at one time doesn't mean that was what started the crack, in fact, it's pretty damn rare for one event to do in a frame, it usually cracks and progresses until it can no longer take the load. It's idiotic to say this and then say "but we don't really know the events".

The Stamina 140’s broken swingarm at the Pinkbike’s Field Test was a prototype swingarm for XC usage that should not have been there. The mix up is possible only because of our fast product development cycle
"We test our bikes by selling them to riders and quickly changing the stuff that breaks...it's a feature!"

and the similarity of the two different parts (one proto and one pre-production) that were mixed in the assembly. We would never have wanted to send this XC swingarm since we already knew that this swingarm would fail because we broke a similar swingarm already in March 2019 in Italy (the cover photo is the one with the first prototype).
Well thank god for that, because I'm sure all the readers were thinking that you wanted to send an XC swingarm on purpose. Bizarre.

Our production swingarm is stronger (100g more material) than in those parts that failed on the prototype XC swingarm. No customer has or will have that swingarm on their bikes.
You know, they make stuff these days that calculates stresses and tells you what thickness and how much metal to use. This seems a little strange saying that it was developed for no purpose, almost like there's something else going on. Most unsuccessful prototypes are destroyed for this reason.

We didn’t get a chance for a rematch
Even from several attempts, Pinkbike didn’t let us send them the correct swingarm
"It's Pinkbike's fault we screwed up".

Criticism for Pinkbike
In any case, we wanted to give you heads up before the “scandalous” story is out. It looks like Pinkbike has learned from Paul Aston’s review of the broken ENVE wheels that scandalous articles get a lot of views. As a criticism, I would say that the Privateer -series is a lot better way to create traction for Pinkbike because it’s authentic content and is more attractive to the mountain biker. If they are after the frame’s durability, I think it would be good to make a story about how long frames usually last and what kind of abuse they can handle. Interview racers, team managers, and business insiders about the frame durability and design aspects. In motorsport, there is a well-known fact that the equipment gets destroyed after NN amount of hours or if you ride harsh stuff. It is not a scandal if the engine breaks in the F1 race, but in DH or Enduro, the racers hide the broken stuff. It looks like the biggest taboo in the industry is a failure in the product and looks like Pinkbike has learned that this is a good cash cow for them to make stories. I don’t know where it comes from, but I guess that the taboo has it’s roots somewhere. Everyone in the industry knows that it is hard to create actual content, but sometimes you get lucky, and you can do scandalous stories. One of the most notorious is probably a video of Greg Minnaar crashing and snapping his frame to half.
"Yep, it's Pinkbike's fault we screwed up."

There's some bizarre defensive shit going on there and there is definitely something wrong with that person. This is a red flag.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So pretty much a bad bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Also the delivery and CS problems scare me more than Leo's ego. Though if you think you never do anything wrong problems in your company are a given.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I am excited to read the comments when that Pole article drops, no doubt that Leo will make a complete fool of himself for all of the PB community to see.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
did you know................rocky mountain tried to sue transition over the tr500,450,250 frames, claming they infringed on those piece of shit RM7,8,9 designs?
I didn't know the TR series came with a self destruct feature. Neat!