Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Just saw the huck to flat. That was 2.5ft of air dropping to flat? Even with a pinkbike ruler, that was tiny! Big time design/manufacturing mistake there Pole.
Don't worry the engineers added an extra 90 grams of aluminium, bet the new swing arm can handle atleast 3 footers?

Even if it stayed together what is the benefit of riding a 140mm bike if it weighs 3 lbs less than the new gambler with dh rubber?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
This points out to answer a. This wasn't a prototype swingarm. Imho it's a dick move on PB side to publicize it and not the other bike and we kinda don't know if it's a freak accident and imho it's good they are buffing it so kudos for that.
Deadset they've stated multiple times they're not commenting until the review is released with all the details in one go. But yeah sure, the lizard overlords behind a 30 person company like Rocky probably abducted a journalist and threatened PB to cover up the incident.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wasn't the huck to flat demo much bigger last year? I thought they were jumping Levy's VW?

XC swing arm or not, I wouldn't want to ride a delicate flower like that. Didn't a few XC world cups have sizable drops on them? If those road dirt bikes can handle that....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Deadset they've stated multiple times they're not commenting until the review is released with all the details in one go. But yeah sure, the lizard overlords behind a 30 person company like Rocky probably abducted a journalist and threatened PB to cover up the incident.
No conspiracy there mate. RM just spends money so PB is slightly nicer to them. All that I've suggested.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Only thing I see that they may have added was the explanation as to why they declined the replacement swing-arm. Unless you think that's all a lie, but seeing as how they have all the footage from the testing and mention it being the fastest bike of the test multiple times, I'm inclined to take PB's word that this isn't a rewritten piece influenced by the Illuminati.
I think they should find someone to fabricate the same frame but then tell people the geo numbers.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wasn't the huck to flat demo much bigger last year? I thought they were jumping Levy's VW?

XC swing arm or not, I wouldn't want to ride a delicate flower like that. Didn't a few XC world cups have sizable drops on them? If those road dirt bikes can handle that....
Agreed. I've done genuine 3ft drops to flat on 22lb xc bikes... repeatedly. This is a 32lb "trail" bike with deemax wheels and it can't handle being less than a wheel height up in the air? Weak.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Agreed. I've done genuine 3ft drops to flat on 22lb xc bikes... repeatedly. This is a 32lb "trail" bike with deemax wheels and it can't handle being less than a wheel height up in the air? Weak.
Then again maybe a freak accident? I've done multiple hucks to flat on my Ellsworth Joker so I'd be surprised if any of those bikes are genuinely weaker than the frame known around the world for its durability.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Then again maybe a freak accident? I've done multiple hucks to flat on my Ellsworth Joker so I'd be surprised if any of those bikes are genuinely weaker than the frame known around the world for its durability.
The swingarm was constructed out of aluminum foil. Not a freak accident.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The swingarm was constructed out of aluminum foil. Not a freak accident.
If a swingarm can break on a super small drop It'd break in testing multiple times unless they only rode around the parking lot. The Pole guys seem to be good riders or they at least give the bikes to good riders so that surprises me.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
PB might have intentionally lower the pressure in the shock to be sure to properly hit bottom out, who knows?
Anyhow this wing-like construction might be ok when exposed to tension, they certainly help too with aerodynamic but they are rubbish when it comes to compression...

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
If a swingarm can break on a super small drop It'd break in testing multiple times unless they only rode around the parking lot. The Pole guys seem to be good riders or they at least give the bikes to good riders so that surprises me.
Its suprising
1. They would build a swingarm that fragile for any bike, road, xc, or wal mart special.
2. They would send out a test bike without putting it through its paces with test riders first.
3. They are arrogant enough to think adding 90 grams is gonna make it bulletproof.
4. They have the balls to try to market a heavy trailbike for 6k+ with the "we know better attitude" and the pos doesn't even stay together with the downcountry cowboy hitting a 1.5 foot drop.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
PB might have intentionally lower the pressure in the shock to be sure to properly hit bottom out, who knows?
Anyhow this wing-like construction might be ok when exposed to tension, they certainly help too with aerodynamic but they are rubbish when it comes to compression...
comment from Brian Park said they actually increased air pressure for the 'huck' shot

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Textbook example of what happens when industrial designers feel smarter than mechanical engineers.
Buckling seems not to be in the vocabulary of these people.
Can you thell the difference between the failing and the bulletproof beam? Also, why wouldn't you build a one piece rear end? Pole getting too stiff?:brows:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
1. Acquire the blue pill that old guys need (or use your own stash). To be clear, tiger bones or other bizarre big cat tissues are in no way an effective substitute.

2. Using a crucible, grind up pill to a fine powder (as difficult as this may be, make a concerted effort not to snort this off a mirror and break out the flesh light)

3. Pour 4 oz of liquid self etching primer into a 9" sauce pan, bring to a low simmer.

4. Slowly mix in dick pill powder. Reduce heat and cover for 10 minutes or until it forms a fine paste. For a little pizzazz, you can also add 1 drop of JB Weld and/or a dash of @jdcamb approved glitter.

5. Remove from heat and scrape boner paste into a small dish.

6. Using a clean cloth (ie - not your underwear) apply a liberal coat on bent, flaccid Pole area.

7. Wait 24 hours for paste to harden on the Pole. And now you can snort some blue powder and hammer it out with your fleshlight.

8. ???

9. Inspect Pole to make sure it's all straight and shit.

10. Go ride that Pole off the nearest 2 foot drop and get rad AF.

Ol'Leo owes me bigtime!

How I didn't become a chemical engineer will always remain a mystery.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
not officially but its a pretty open secret at this point
Buckling seems not to be in the vocabulary of these people.
Can you thell the difference between the failing and the bulletproof beam? Also, why wouldn't you build a one piece rear end? Pole getting too stiff?:brows:
crazy thin cross sections, huh? even IF if the fea said that was good to go, i'd be adding beef just from an aesthetics / peace of mind perspective.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
When I see that part, all I can think is: make it an I-beam.
...out of steel.
1. Acquire the blue pill that old guys need (or use your own stash). To be clear, tiger bones or other bizarre big cat tissues are in no way an effective substitute.

2. Using a crucible, grind up pill to a fine powder (as difficult as this may be, make a concerted effort not to snort this off a mirror and break out the flesh light)

3. Pour 4 oz of liquid self etching primer into a 9" sauce pan, bring to a low simmer.

4. Slowly mix in dick pill powder. Reduce heat and cover for 10 minutes or until it forms a fine paste. For a little pizzazz, you can also add 1 drop of JB Weld and/or a dash of @jdcamb approved glitter.

5. Remove from heat and scrape boner paste into a small dish.

6. Using a clean cloth (ie - not your underwear) apply a liberal coat on bent, flaccid Pole area.

7. Wait 24 hours for paste to harden on the Pole. And now you can snort some blue powder and hammer it out with your fleshlight.

8. ???

9. Inspect Pole to make sure it's all straight and shit.

10. Go ride that Pole off the nearest 2 foot drop and get rad AF.

Ol'Leo owes me bigtime!

How I didn't become a chemical engineer will always remain a mystery.
Been waiting for this from the moment the drama enrolled. Was not disappointed. Where's the fucking rep button?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Its suprising
1. They would build a swingarm that fragile for any bike, road, xc, or wal mart special.
2. They would send out a test bike without putting it through its paces with test riders first.
3. They are arrogant enough to think adding 90 grams is gonna make it bulletproof.
4. They have the balls to try to market a heavy trailbike for 6k+ with the "we know better attitude" and the pos doesn't even stay together with the downcountry cowboy hitting a 1.5 foot drop.
3. Maybe they are saying they are adding 90g but they found a structural error and 90g is just what they say to customers and media?
4. Yeah the price is pretty steep for what they offer. Though I totally get an expensive, heavy trailbike but they need to go with craftsmanship first like Nicholai.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"The André the Giant of this match has to be the rather large and extremely capable Stamina 140, although ol' André never had moves like the Stamina's, may they both rest in peace. Besides both being the biggest of their peers, they also share something else: An early death. Congestive heart failure in a Paris hotel room took André from us, and a two-foot-tall ramp in an empty Squamish parking lot killed the aluminum Stamina. Read all about the specifics of that particular elephant in the room here. "

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love how the best bike in that shootout (that actually survived) is the mass produced Norco which costs several thousand dollars less than the others. Yee-ha that's a good thing.
But you get less dentist points with a Norco

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I love how the best bike in that shootout (that actually survived) is the mass produced Norco which costs several thousand dollars less than the others. Yee-ha that's a good thing.
I think they learned their lesson 10+ years ago, recalling 5000+ bikes ain't fun.