Quantcast

Pole Bikes hates Ridemonkey

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Stupid internet keyboard warriors think they know everything about geometry so Pole bikes decided to not inform people about their bike. The "Engineers take" really amused me here: https://polebicycles.com/stamina/

We think that publishing the geometry table is just irrelevant here and that’s why we won’t even publish the actual numbers. Anyone who wants this bike, know already why the bike is designed

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
While lots of riders might overestimate their ability to determine a bike's ride characteristics from a geometry table and leverage curve, I do find those numbers really helpful to get a general idea and dismiss bikes I know I won't get along with. The latest Pole bikes are certainly outliers in terms of geometry and you probably need to ride one to properly assess them since few people will have ridden comparable bikes, but publishing the numbers cannot really hurt as test rides aren't exactly easy to come by.

Also, by ridemonkey standards, Leo actually got plenty of constructive feedback when he showed up here during Pole's concentric single pivot days.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
While lots of riders might overestimate their ability to determine a bike's ride characteristics from a geometry table and leverage curve, I do find those numbers really helpful to get a general idea and dismiss bikes I know I won't get along with. The latest Pole bikes are certainly outliers in terms of geometry and you probably need to ride one to properly assess them since few people will have ridden comparable bikes, but publishing the numbers cannot really hurt as test rides aren't exactly easy to come by.

Also, by ridemonkey standards, Leo actually got plenty of constructive feedback when he showed up here during Pole's concentric single pivot days.
Yeah same for me. I won't 100% buy a bike based on Geo but it helps to know get a rough idea what are the design principles behind the bike and what the engineers were going for over "our bike pedals like a hardtail descends like a downhill bike" with geo good for everything. Every bike is good at something, worse at something. Looking at their site I don't really know what their bike is about outside of the fact that it supposedly pedals great and goes down well.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

I sat on the other varient of this at Sea Otter. It was a "MEDIUM". Felt close to my LG Smash as far as fit but maybe a hair tighter.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I sat on the other varient of this at Sea Otter. It was a "MEDIUM". Felt close to my LG Smash as far as fit but maybe a hair tighter.
Pretty sure I saw one of the PB writer guys on one of those at Seymour this weekend.

Looks neat.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So simple, yet a smart man can not figure it out.

You won't show me the numbers....I won't show you the money.

The lack of numbers takes you off of the list completely.
Makes you wonder what else they are or willing to hide.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
So uhm, am i supposed to just take their word on sizing as gospel and go with that?
Sorry but even if i was willing to trust a company with sizing recommendations, which i don´t for 99% of them even though Pole might be an exception here, i just can not get myself to buy a bike like this.
It´s like byuing steak and instead of the exact weight you want you can only tell the lady behind the counter "needs to feed 4 people". I mean, am i supposed to feel good with a decision like that as a customer? Hell it´s not even a decision, i just have to make a trustfall and hope they get it right for me.
What if somebody really likes that bike, but doesn´t want the long toptube? Is it not legitimate to downsize based on preference?
I mean come on, that´s just plain silly to take information away from the buyer like that and basically tell him "you´re a moron anyways, so better trust we know what´s best for you".
I really liked what that company was doing so far, but if that´s how they proceed from now on they´re no longer an option for me.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I sat on the other varient of this at Sea Otter.
I've thrown a leg over a few Poles in my time (insert joke here) but never ridden one. They didn't bring any demo bikes to Sea Otter and the designer said they had no plans to do demos on the west coast of the US soooo......

How you gonna sell bike if no one is allowed to ride one or even see the geo numbers?

Trust? Sorry someone is already using that marketing strategy.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
That Pole is going to have approximately the same geo as the Machine but with a slightly steeper seat tube.

The reasons they don't have a geo chart is they can do half sizes, and they are Finnish.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I’ll add my Pole experience to this, it was about a month ago maybe two. I work in a bike shop, and I am bike curious. The Pole is not like anything else it’s geometry, manufacturing processes, cost, demoing one is not likely. So I first sent them an email asking if they have or will have a dealer network for North America or wholesale to the shop direct. The reply was-

“We don't have any dealers anywhere in the world, as we are a direct sales company.”

I was fine with that and was thinking to myself if I sold some bike parts I have I and my current bike I could buy a frame (evolink 140 or maybe a machine). I sold stuff and was close to having enough to get one. For people that may not know a professional bicycle mechanic doesn’t make a ton of money. So I sent another email asking if they offer any discount to fellow industry people. I am not in anyway saying they should offer a discount to me that is not my gripe I will fully admit that I had every intention of buying the frame at listed price but since it is common for brands to help out industry people I asked, and what I got back as a reply was-

“Unfortunately, we don't offer any kind of industry pricing, unless you buy several bikes. This meaning at least five full builds.”

That’s about 20k in bikes that is buy in costs to be a dealer for known repealable brands that have been around longer than 5 years. All corspondance was with the same person in the same email chain. Maybe I’m out of line but it was disingenuous to me. So here is my soap box. How the fuck and I going to justify buying 5 complete bikes for some “discount” when all that I want is one frame, because I’m sure Pole can sell me a sram group shipped from Finland for less than I can get it from sram direct in the USA. So hey, today instead of me saying something like “Wow this bike is great it looks so bad ass and rides up hill amazing and decends like downhill bike and isn’t as long as you would think once you get used to it and you should get one too so we can high five over its recyclability and lack of ocean fillerness!” I’m sharing this experience instead. Hey GG want to try and make something similarly extreme? I want to try this new limo style 90* seat post bike it sounds fun.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
We have made a number of frames longer than standard for an up charge. GG has industry deals for legitimate bike shop employees, shoot an email to the Shredquarters if you are interested in more details. Bikes@RideGG.com

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I’ll copy and paste the chart for you guys https://polebicycles.com/stamina/

1. HEAD ANGLE SLACK with your money
2. REACH PLENTY of money need to try it
3. TOP TUBE UPRIGHT PEDALING easier without the money you had slowing you down
4. BB HEIGHT NOT TOO LOW it could cost more, NOT TOO HIGH don’t worry it’s still expensive
5. SEAT TUBE ANGLE STEEP enough to cost a lot
6. SEAT TUBE ANGLE (EFFECTIVE) VERY STEEP like the interest rate on the cc needed to try one
7. STACK all the money neatly
8. WHEELBASE longer than the list of excuses needed to justify buying
9. CHAINSTAY LENGTH (EFFECTIVE) BALANCED like our checkbook
10. SEAT TUBE LENGTH VERY SHORT, BUT WE USE 34.9MM SEATPOST SO IT’S NOT A PROBLEM. THERE’S PLENTY OF LENGTHS for your slimmer wallet
11. HEAD TUBE LENGTH shorter than the stack of dollars needed to buy it
12. FORK OFFSET CHOOSE WHATEVER YOUR FASHION TELLS YOU
FRONT CENTER BALANCED not like your checkbook

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
The smash has been a long time contender for the 29er that will change my opinion of 29ers. I haven’t had the chance to setup with you guys at the shop I feel truly guilty for that! I promise that will change!

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
80* actual / 81* effective. aggressive. the steepest i've ridden is 77*, which worked quite well; curious if this is more better-er, or a step too far.
That's pretty damn steep, would also be interested to try it, as my current big bike has a 78.2 degree SA, which actually felt like a nice positive on a bike with 500mm reach.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who?

Dave turner quit publishing wheelbase numbers a while back and it annoyed the hell out of a lot of people, including me. I mean I may literally be sitting here wondering if my bike is going to fit in the corner of my manhattan apartment. This shit is important!

Now pole just sits there and says "don't you worry cretin, we know what's best"

Fuck that. Mountain bike companies are so far up their own asses these days. Thank god there are options at least.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I tried to watch the Pole interview on PB during crankworx, this guy is such an incredibly self righteous condescending blowhard..."listen! it's amazing, just trust us, and no I won't actually tell you about the details that set us apart"

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Didn't Pole pull their DH Machine from this year's WC? Apparently it had serious issues, their sponsored rider ended up riding a Sender he bought himself instead.

Yeah, trust them indeed.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
"listen! it's amazing, just trust us, and no I won't actually tell you about the details that set us apart"
That's pretty funny. I had a 40 minute conversation with the head designer/engineer at Sea Otter. I was asking him about leverage ratios, chainstay numbers, wheelbase, etc and that's pretty much what he told me. Wonder if it was the same guy.