Quantcast

Police Cars

Monkey
hey maybe someone can clear this out for me, i remember from a family trip to kona island seeing no real patrols, just regular trucks with roof strobes, so my question is, are those cars from private owners, or are they city property?
in Hawaii, at least a while ago, cops don't get patrol cars, so they just use their personal vehicle and soup it up and toss a light on top.

lots of Mustang 5.0 running around with lights strobing last time i checked..

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Cops in Jersey use these:

...heard they're pretty popular in Austrailia too.

:biggrin:

"...the last of the V-8 Interceptors"

Home-made self-destruct package optional.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
speaking of police cars can they check your speed if your driving twards them? if im going say an extra 10mph over the speed limit can they check that?

yes. there are radar models that can even do same direction mobile, meaning that the radar can pinpoint your speed even if the patrol car is traveling in the same lane going the same direction as the target vehicle. the very basic models have a minimum of stationary same direction/opposite direction and mobile front opposite lane/rear opposite lane
and just so you know, radar detectors are pretty much worthless because most cops don't even turn it on until they see the vehicle they want to clock. we are required by law to make a visual estimation of the speed before using the radar to confirm the estimate. so usually, by the time the radar detector lights up, you've already been had.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
and just so you know, radar detectors are pretty much worthless because most cops don't even turn it on until they see the vehicle they want to clock. we are required by law to make a visual estimation of the speed before using the radar to confirm the estimate. so usually, by the time the radar detector lights up, you've already been had.
They can still give warning if they detect radar is being used ahead on an another car within range of the detection area. I'm not so sure of the technologies and range of detection - I would think it would be harder to detect laser without being too close to the laser source to be useful.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
My dad's a Lt. for Santa Clara PD here in California. They are still driving the Crown Vics.

As for Stanford Police Department, they're getting all new Chargers, and my dad happened to be the one to design the new logos and paint scheme for those cars.

So when the Stanford Po-Po is out breaking up the rich douche-bags' parties, they'll roll up in a car that my dad designed. Haha...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
speaking of police cars can they check your speed if your driving twards them? if im going say an extra 10mph over the speed limit can they check that?
In SF, they made a big deal about our motorcycle cops having bike-mounted radar pointing forwards and back, so they can catch speeders in both directions.

As for catching you going in the opposite direction, the other thing to consider is this: I was watching a news segment about a traffic cop positioned on a tight 2 lane road. His radar caught someone one, but because he couldn't cross traffic safely to pursue, he let him go.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
yes. there are radar models that can even do same direction mobile, meaning that the radar can pinpoint your speed even if the patrol car is traveling in the same lane going the same direction as the target vehicle. the very basic models have a minimum of stationary same direction/opposite direction and mobile front opposite lane/rear opposite lane
yup.

Officer (cute young 20s chick) - Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me - Not specifically, but I heard my radar detector go off when I passed you, so I've got a pretty good idea.

:disgust1:

edit - have also had the experience of seeing two cars behind me (at night) on the highway, and saw the rear-most car pull over into the left lane to pass the one in front of him. as soon as he got even with the other car, BAM went the radar detector. dammit!! why does speeding have to be so much fun??!?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah thats the most common issue. Some have some FWD Chevy Impala's and recently some depts. are going with the Charger (most likely RWD, not AWD?)

I think in Europe you'll find BMWs, Subbies, and a rare Lamborghini but I don't know what is most common. I think NZ has mostly Holden(GM) Statesman?
Nah Holden Commodore's with a few bits upgraded (engine and suspension)

dayid

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Central FL
Central FL we have Imapalas, Crown Vics, Mauraders, and Camaro's... a few Harley's and Explorers, and random other stuff for investigations/undercover.