Quantcast

Police Lie?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
on the flip side of that coin, i wonder how many worthless p.o.s. criminals tell the truth ??
or better yet, even pretend to live within the laws of civilized society ??

cops....hell yeah !!!!!!!!!

Attachments

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes, shockingly, it's legal for police to lie to criminals and even the public in the correct context.

You want an undercover officer to have to sheepishly say, "well, yeah, I can't say no" when someone asks him if he's a cop?

You think it's immoral for a cop to lie to a suspect during interrogation? It's not, nor is it illegal...cops can't cross the line to coercion, however, which is behavior which would reasonably induce an innocent person to confess to a crime he hadn't committed. (Coercion may or may not involve lying.)

It's illegal for police to falsify reports or make other false official statements (lies), and as police, they should be expected to be truthful in this context and held to an exacting standard. But police can and should lie; however, stating the fact that plainly and out-of-context makes it sound sinister.

Ed: As to this CSU guy, what a 'tard.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
In another recorded snippet, Yarbrough said police can exchange drugs for information. He went on to say that law enforcement officers can then deny any such deal.

And, of course, no peace officer would EVER lie under oath on a witness stand...

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
...cops can't cross the line to coercion, however, which is behavior which would reasonably induce an innocent person to confess to a crime he hadn't committed. (Coercion may or may not involve lying.)
So is coercion beating the carp out of someone to get them to confess? Or is that torture (or is it an "enhanced interrogation technique")? ****. I am so confused. What is the politically correct term for something that is totally acceptable for law enforcement and government to do and prosecutable when done by the people?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you're really that dumb, there's just no way to continue this conversation.

And if you type carp™ one more time I think I'm gonna ****ing vomit.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That proves it. Arkayne is Borg and he's assimilating this place...

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Thanks for calling me on my obvious troll, but man I loves me some carp™. That funking carp swims right past the profanity filter.

It's just that I saw you got terribly close to agreeing with me in another thread, and wanted to be sure you think long and hard before you make another mistake like that again.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Ask Rodger Clemens ...
As MikeD noted, when you lie in certain contexts, that is illegal. It would have been just as illegal for a police officer (or president for that matter) to lie to a Congressional Committee.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I used to like to remind people I was interviewing that Martha Stuart was in jail for 18 USC 1001, making a false official statement.