Quantcast

Polished Demo

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Clearcoated it? Because it won't stay shiny for long without it if you ride in non perfect conditions ;)

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
While clear coating will definately protect against oxidation, it is not without its drawbacks. I'm using a sealer made by Hoosier Metal Polish that is supposed to significantly reduce oxidation. There is no doubt that having a frame with a mirror polish is going to be a pain in the ass to maintain, but it is something I've wanted to do for awhile now.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
Voiding the warranty was a consideration, but I've got a lot of life out of this frame and my desire to have a frame with this finish outweighed the risk that I might break it. However, given my lack of speed and limited ability just about the only way I'm going to break this bike is if it falls off the back of the truck!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks really nice! So what was your process? Any kitchen utensils used is a bonus here.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Do not clear coat it. Just lightly spray it with water when it gets real dirty and wipe it dry with a towel. It will stay shiny for a long time before you have to repolish. Just make sure to clean it up after a muddy day.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
Do not clear coat it. Just lightly spray it with water when it gets real dirty and wipe it dry with a towel. It will stay shiny for a long time before you have to repolish. Just make sure to clean it up after a muddy day.
this

If anything coat it with some of the nano coatings.. not only is it easy to keep shiny its so slippery when on that dirt mostly just slides/drips off..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just cover it in butter or bacon grease.

and yes polished bikes look awesome and are rare these days. I miss GT's ball burnishing.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
My real motivation for polishing this frame was to create a look that was a throwback to the old school bmx bikes I used to ride as a kid. I have a chrome GT Pro frame that looks as good today as when I got it back in 1982. Obviously, aluminum is going to take some work to keep it from oxidizing, but I have the look that I wanted. This is a little better image of the frame after it was completed.

Polished Demo.png

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I like that pic of just the frame!

I had a couple GT Team Trials that were polished, what a pain it was to keep,those looking good.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Looks awesome. If you keep it waxed, it won't take much work, and even if it oxidizes, still will look better than a scratched up pc job.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
did the tolerances change at all?
i wouldnt do it just for the warranty issue but it looks dope.
With respect to the tolerances at the pivots, headset, bb, dropouts, and seat post, removing the paint created no issues whatsoever. The bike is just as solid as before being stripped and polished.

The warranty issue was definately a concern but no longer an issue now. I guess if I break it it will make for a cool looking end table or lamp:D