Quantcast

Poll: Best Downhill/Freeride Park in the Northeast?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Platty is the best for natural DH terrain. Lots of rock drops, loose shale, steep chutes, fall line trails, some wooden features, generally fast and fun trails. The place has a good small remote mountain vibe, is never crowded except for race weekends, and the cheapest place to ride for a weekend.

Diablo is the best option for man-made features, jumps, and groomed trails. They have plenty of natural DH trails too but the rocks are large, pointy, and unmoving making them more technical than Platty and not quite as much fun IMO. But I still always enjoy riding Diablo and the variety of trails is good. I have never had a problem with Jersey people or attitude, but it is a more expensive place to ride at mostly due to lodging options.

Seven Springs is still fairly small but really fun. They have about 6 or so main trails with a few additional short sections that can be mixed in to create a lot of different ways down. They have groomed jump trails, some man-made features, and rocky natural trails. Overall the trails are not too difficult or steep. I go there the most out of your options because it is very close to me, but I would not choose it over Platty or Diablo for a big trip.

I have yet to go to Vertical Earth, but I would like to check it out one of these days.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Blue is very fun to ride. fun, flowy trails with nothing that isnt ridable. riding in the rain there is also a ton of fun.

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
your answer has been questioned! I love plattekill...two peaks worth of trails, wide variety, crappy trailbuilding but it's worlds better now than it was then, and it's a one man operation, what do you expect....BUT...with all that natural terrain, trails don't really have to be "built".

tl;dr If you like "downhill riding" go to platty, if you like park riding go to diablo.
One man crew yes but with a devote crew of non krishna trail monkeys that dig and tune that place real nice . they have been known to work covertly. crappy trailbuliding ? thats just cooky

Last edited:

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
Nice to read so many good opinions of Plattekill. Sounds a little like Jiminy Peak. I rode there and loved the natural trails and low prices.

The only interest I had in Diablo was Diabloween. Is that still going to happen? Is it any fun?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Dogs, look me up to Platty and I'll show you some gems. That or any other "regular" rider there can. Just ask every one is friendly and loves to show off the mountain. It can be hard if not impossible to find "all" the good stuff solo. There's just so many trails it would take years to mark them all. I still get shown "new to me" stuff all the time.

George