Quantcast

Poll: do you like your co-workers?

would you hang out w/ co-workers outside of work?

• Total voters

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
there's a few posts about not wanting to go to the holiday party because you see the same people all the time and don't want to socialize w/ them. maybe it's because i've been at the same company 17 years, but on average i like my co-workers, and definitely hang out w/ a fair bit outside of work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most of the people I work with are in remote offices, for the most part I like them. The people in my offices are the managers and execs, a bunch of jerks. But even the people I like are in their late 50's and I have nothing in common with, so socializing means talking about work which I would rather not do on my time.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There are a few people in the building who ride and are basically cool, but none of them are on my team, and therefore none of them would be at the stupid holiday gathering.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Somewhere in the middle.

I like my coworkers just fine and have had/will have lunch with them during the work day, but I'm not really inclined to invite them out for a drink after work.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Everyone I worked with at my last company in NH was awesome! BV and I had so much fun going out to the bar or elsewhere with our coworkers. They even threw us a big going-away bash at a bar/pool hall in town. The company directors came and bought us beers, and bv got to take his director's Z4 for a spin.

I just started my job in NC about 5 weeks ago, and everyone here seems great too, and I look forward to hanging out with them for drinks soon! :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to work with some really cool folks at my last job. The Christmas party was a knock down drag out drunkfest. They held it in a nearby hotel and got everyone rooms to prevent the DWI's and scheduled meetings the day after that you didn't have to attend.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
The Christmas party was a knock down drag out drunkfest.
I'm hoping that's the way Jenn's work party is next weekend. The president pays for it out of his pocket and it's an open bar for 6 hours :drool:

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
binary visions said:
Somewhere in the middle.

I like my coworkers just fine and have had/will have lunch with them during the work day, but I'm not really inclined to invite them out for a drink after work.

:stupid:

Most of them are lazzzy... Or only speak Japnese...

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
While I am not really self employed, my closest co-workers are in SLC and I an in Spokane. But we are together on weekends when we have events to work and we always have a good time.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
In the past we had a very active social network at work... my new place, not so much.

People here are very closed and guarded... not real social.

Given the opportunity I would just to be social... but I am not going to try and initiate anything.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Kinda in a tough position. I don't really hang out with any of our employees.......management and production shouldn't really hang out anyway, because the thin veil of subordination starts to wear quickly when that happens. The rest of management is just me, two other guys and the boss's daughter--and none of us really have anything in common, so everyone kinda keeps to themselves. I have friends, so there's no need for co-worker interaction.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I like my co-workers for the most-part. It's a small office so it works out better that we all get along. Our company functions are always open bar, but they do things like take us to a symphony after the open bar, so getting sloshed isn't always the best move.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
It seems that while most people in Seattle are polite, none of them are very friendly. This applies to most of my co-workers as well. If I were to go, the idle chit chat about work, sports, weather, etc would just be uncomfortable.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they disgust me, as that would imply that I cared one way or the other.

-- Apathetic in Seattle.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I work with one other guy, and that's only one day a week. The rest of the time I work alone. It kinda sucks. Wish i had people to talk to during the day let alone get together with outside of work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not invited to the holiday party besacuse I'm a "contractor", but I do go out for beers with the VP and Director of Engineering from time to time.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Shyrmp said:
Our company is pretty small and we all get along very well and spend time together pretty often after work.

My co-workers are the best :love:

Yes I think we have already covered that your co-workers are the best :drool:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I had a great relationship with most of the people that I worked with over the summer. My boss especially as I went over his house a few times for dinner with him, his wife, and a few co-workers and then out trap shooting after. I would also go out with the other summer guys that I worked with as 4 of the 5 of us were guys and they were a good bunch of guys.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
In the places I've worked (my dad's business, my college's library, a bike shop, for the forest service) I've had mostly good experiences. Some of the bike shop dudes were awesome and we hung out some. Forest service was so-so. I loved the people I was with and my bosses. Most of the others were...I dunno....bitter or something. Didn't care about me, my coworkers or the fact that we were basically working for them for free.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I vote OTHER, because while I like my co-workers I don't really want to hang with them. I present a certain facade at work and don't need these people seeing the real me.

I am also trying to become self employed and self loathing.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
My cooworkers don't exist. Well they do in a parallel universe, but not mine. See, they are fillers, or extras, in my movie called live. They are androids void of conscious, unless one approaches me. I see them studder for the words the are tyring to construct into coherent sentences.

I force all my will and energy upon them at light speed (in thought, not words) and 9 times out of 10 they usually surrender and say "nevermind"

After all I do wake up every day and one of the items on my days creation list is to be left alone at work.

Knuckle

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
I find that most co-workers are bumbling fools that love nothing more than to hear themselves talk as they stand around my office, telling me something I know all about and have already been trying to resolve since yesterday. These people are simply looking for a purpose in the workplace. I just ignore them and when I get invited to an afterwork function I either run like hell or start crying instantly over a sudden death in the family. :nopity: If I never saw these people again, I'd think nothing of it. I love my friends and my family, not the assholes I have to see 45 hrs per week, 220 days per year, or in other words, more than my family and friends. I sometimes wonder about those who get excited about getting a beer with co-workers on a Friday night or yucking it up with the boss on a Saturday while wearing a stuffy suit. I smell a lack of a decent social life....just an opinion....

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
It's not an opinion, it's a facT. These people are not real, they are fillers. They are just THERE to make it all look good. The game you know. I d not associate with beings void of conscious and void of life. Then they have the GALL, THE NERVE, to ask me to spend a SATURDAY NIGHT with them? HA? To an Xmas party? Then ask me to PAY TO GO? WTF? This is how I know they exist on a parallel universe from myself. They yuck it up with each other as you say and can't get enough of each other and sustaining the work "feel" as long as possible.

This is why at 5pm when I've done my 10 hours with 1 hour mornign commute, ready to embark upon my 1 hour to get home = 11 hour days, they are still printing reports, on the phone, making coffee.

THIS IS WHY I KNOW I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON THIS PLANET.

These people are simply "VOL" Void Of Life

Nothing further can be said to validate this. They are androids, inhuman, and seek nothing other then recognition to feed their ego's so they can have their wonderful 1 week vacation in the summer, afford the wife a 12mpg Suburban to tote their rat bastard kids to soccer practice where they schmooze with the other ANDROIDS talking about "Joey's 5th birthday" or "the new addition"

Well I got news for ya's, time is not LINEAR. YOUR ALREADY DEAD.

KnUcKlE

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
I only truly *like* one of my coworkers, but when the boss offers to take us out for beer, I go. I mean, it's FREE BEER! I'd be a fool not to join in. :)