Quantcast

Poll for those who had a bike stolen...

When your bike was stolen, how did you secure it?

• No lock

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Kept in home/apartment/hotel

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kept in car/van/truck

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Low security Cable/chain/u-lock

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • High security U-lock/chain (like NY Lock)

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You hear a lot of stories but for the benefit of the community, the specifics would help to prevent thefts...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
My bike was in my detached garage, locked to an old cast iron radiator with some pretty stout chain and a padlock. My garage door is locked, but if you get into my backyard, the side door into the garage is not. My new bike stays in my basement.

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
I had a bike stolen out of my backyard a few years back. I was cleaning the kitchen so I put my bike and my gf's bike out back. There is an alleyway running back behind the house so that is how the person saw it and nabbed it. What really sucked is after the kitchen floor dried, my lazy gf at the time ( she's an ex now ) put her bike inside and left mine out and it got ganked. Wasn't that nice of her?

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
When I was in college I had a beach cruiser that I hadn't ridden for months - 2 flat tires, and the drivetrain was rusted solid. Someone cut through a U-lock to steal that thing!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I've had two bikes stolen....

one while I was in college.
I left it with my mother, and she left it on the front porch....without a lock.
I came home on a weekend and wanted to go for a ride, and my mom was like.....'oh, yeah....about your bike"

One while I was in the military (as a cop....so this is kind of funny).It was in my art studio, because I didnt' trust anything outside. I was at work and it was stolen (along with a bunch of other things..cds, dvds, tv, dvd player, a birthday present for my sister....). I am pretty dmn sure an ex did it. Yeah, it sucked. But things are things, and I can always get more things.

Now.......bike stays in a locked garage.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like to hear about anyone who had locked his/her bike with a NY Lock and still had it stolen...

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I had a Kryptonite mid-range U-lock with the built in thick wire. I think it was hacked with a pen since it had the circular key...

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I was about ten or twelve and my sister would ride my bike down the hill towards town and walk up the next hillm ditching my bike in the bushes. It got stolen. Go figure. She doesn't know much about biking. She thinks that it is easier to walk up a hill than to ride a bike up it.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Around Christmas time, My Gemini was delivered by UPS on my porch. It was stollen there and we later found out it was our white trash neighbors who then later got evicted and child protective services took their children