Quantcast

Poll: Sedan or Wagon

Sedan or Wagon? What's the story?

• Sedan: More secure and better handling?

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Wagon: Better hauler and more useful?

Votes: 30 88.2%

• Total voters

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So I'm in the market for a car. Yesterday I drove an Impreza. Big drawback for the sedan is that the seats don't fold down so I started thinking about the wagon.

My inclination has always been towards sedans, and have an old bias against wagons as being for old people with kids.

I have several young, ostensibly hip, outdoorsy bike/ski buddies who swear by wagons for carrying gear and insist that they're stylish and no longer fogey-mobiles. On the other hand, the GF hates wagons, and I'll never hear the end of it if I get one.

What say ye monkeys?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Wagon. Function over form my friend. I have a subaru outback wagon that i love love love. I don't think I'll own a sedan again.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I drove an impreza last week as well and I'd only consider the wagon. The old big, wood-paneled wagons were for old people... now adays they make sport wagons which are don't have that same stereotype. Go with a smaller sportier wagon... IMO, the added function FAAAAR outweighs what might be a slightly less appealing (aesthetically) car.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
as soccer-momish as it is, i would love to have my moms volvo xc70 because it can haul a ton of stuff inside and its quite comfortable. the handling is pretty good too for its size. but with the impreza i would most certainly spring for the wagon, they are quite sexy.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
One of the things I didn't like about the wagon was that the cargo space, without the seats down, is really small, compared to the surprisingly large trunk on the sedan. Just to throw that in the mix.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It's a lot easier to bone curbhucker's friend's mom in a wagon, there's more space. If you need any more clarification don't hesitate to ask.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Definitely a wagon. I'm on my second VW Jetta 1.8T wagon and I love my car. With the turbo it's a lot of fun to drive and I have tons of room for everything. Great traveling car.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm curious why, in your poll, you said that a sedan was more secure and better handling. Most wagons come with those cargo cover things if you're worried about people seeing your gear. If someone is going to break a window to get in, then they're going to do it to a wagon or a sedan. And perhaps if you're an indy car driver the sedan is better handling... I'd be surprised if the average joe would see any difference.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a A4 sedan, and with the rear seats folded down I have ample room for fun stuff.
The bike fits fine, though it requires removing one or both wheels (depends on which bike I have).
If I was shopping for a new car today, I'd definitely consider a wagon.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
I'm curious why, in your poll, you said that a sedan was more secure and better handling. Most wagons come with those cargo cover things if you're worried about people seeing your gear. If someone is going to break a window to get in, then they're going to do it to a wagon or a sedan. And perhaps if you're an indy car driver the sedan is better handling... I'd be surprised if the average joe would see any difference.
A friend of mine was TDY here last week and he had a Dodge wagon (not sure of the name) and it was roomy and handeled well.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have had wagons for the last 10 years and wouldn't go back now. I am picking up a new Matrix today (and all of the other cars I considered were wagons too),

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In many case vehicles that are available in sedan and wagon form, the wagon has better weight distribution but isn't as rigid of a structure as a sedan.

I test drove the new 2007 VW passat wagon about a week ago with the 2L Turbo - seemed like a great deal. Most dealers are selling them at invoice right now - the salesman showed/offered me it and I didn't ask for pricing information...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
gnurider1080 said:
as soccer-momish as it is, i would love to have my moms volvo xc70 because it can haul a ton of stuff inside and its quite comfortable.
Don't let Partsbara hear you call the XC70 soccer momish. Have to admit too that it didn't feel too soccer mum like on the autobahn at 190K+. Would have gone faster too but for the governor.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
sedan + ski pass through + sportworks hitch rack FTW

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Going through this same debate right now with my wife. i like the looks of the sedan better than the wagon. Currently I own an impreza wagon and love it, but most trips we've taken could have easily been done in a sedan. Even with the seats down, the large amount of gear we take doesn't usually rise above the windows. Bikes / Boats go on the roof.

Granted, the Outback 2.5 XT is looking pretty good for us at this time as well, and would hold more if I need to transport more than two people.

So for you, I'm going to have to say wagon.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
-BB- said:
Don't like the Wagon image?
Get a darn SUV then. All the benefits fo the wagon with more clearance.
Plus crappier gas mileage!

Edit: Not that I am a hippy or anything, I am just cheap.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I have a 2002 WRX, and I will tell you that I don't like my subaru. Lots of manufacturing problems. QC stuff, not wear and tear.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
jvp108 said:
I have a 2002 WRX, and I will tell you that I don't like my subaru. Lots of manufacturing problems. QC stuff, not wear and tear.
Yeah, like you said in the other thread.

Funny, I know half a dozen WRX owners, and none of them had the same problems. Perhaps you got a lemon?

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
robdamanii said:

Funny, I know half a dozen WRX owners, and none of them had the same problems. Perhaps you got a lemon?
Lemon, maybe. The clutch was a manufacturing defect that affected many many drivers. So much so that it was documented with a Technical Service Bulletin. Same thing with the radiator and fuel leak.

No car is perfect, esp. first model runs (although it was only new to US shores, the rest of the world had the WRX far longer)

Just thought I'd post my 2 cents, not telling anyone to buy or not to buy. I've heard that Subarus are fairly bulletproof, on average.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
stoney98 said:
I can fit my 4x w/ wheels off in the cargo area with seats up.
Get a hitch and a sportwerks 2 bike rack.
I have a roof rack that I'll be swapping over, so it's not a question so much about putting bikes in the car.

I'm impressed that the response here is pretty one sided. I didn't know y'all were such wagon fiends. :cool:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jvp108 said:
Lemon, maybe. The clutch was a manufacturing defect that affected many many drivers. So much so that it was documented with a Technical Service Bulletin. Same thing with the radiator and fuel leak.
i don't know about the radiator, but i can confirm that the cold weather fuel smell/leak and clutch chatter were both real issues. subaru ended up fixing both (by replacing fuel lines and the clutch) for owners who came in and complained.

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
i will never own anything other than a Grand Cherokee. my 97 has been pretty much the perfect vehicle for me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
syadasti said:
I test drove the new 2007 VW passat wagon about a week ago with the 2L Turbo -

For some reason I didn't think we would be seeing these in the states until later in the year......

Those front ends.....ehh.

I'm partial to wagons since I have one. I like the Subaru Legacy Wagons over their other ones.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
robdamanii said:

I got an outback lemon. took several months and a lemon law suit to get the problem fixed. Subaru seems to have issues with lemons.