Quantcast

Polymer hardener for runways?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
I don't think that's it. What I'm looking for is an additive not it's own filler material. This is something you basically just create a solution with and pour over dirt.

Thanks for looking though...........

If its a bulk order i'll go in with some....:D

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
There was a thread on this a few years back.

I think the closest we came up with was....

Calcium Chloride has unique properties that make it ideal for maintaining unpaved roads and fortifying road bases for new construction. It is calcium chloride's ability to regulate moisture on road surfaces that is the key to building roads that last.
website

I have no idea if the military uses the same stuff.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DVNT said:
There was a thread on this a few years back.

I think the closest we came up with was....

website

I have no idea if the military uses the same stuff.
Yah CaCl basically acts similarly to other chloride salts like plain ole sodium chloride. If you've ever been to death valley or a similar salt flat drainage basin, you've seen how they retain moisture and create mud, even in a really arid environment. Sounds like some folks are using this for the same effect on dirt roads. Interesting though. Might keep our jumps moist.......

This stuff I'm looking for has a trade name that I can't remember......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have always wondered if anybody uses Diamond Dry on dirt jumps.
Back when I played baseball, that is what we used to dry up the dirt in the infield. I don't have a clue what is in it though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oly said:
granola eating 29ers......

HAHAHHAAA......oh the tears.............make it stop..........

.......a 29er within 10 miles of a dirt jump............AHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Got no problem with horsies around the jumps. Just on single track where I typically slay their owners and sell the beasts for glue..............actually.....glue...........may be on to something.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Jeremy R said:
I have always wondered if anybody uses Diamond Dry on dirt jumps.
Back when I played baseball, that is what we used to dry up the dirt in the infield. I don't have a clue what is in it though.
kitty litter

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I was talking with a bro about some product, forgot the name, that was basically Elmers glue for dirt jumps they use it on BMX tracks a lot. I'll try to scare up the name of the stuff

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
We used to sprinkle concrete powder on the faces of all our jumps whilst they were still moist - It didn't last forever but it certainly made them a little more resiliant for a while.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've heard of BMX tracks using a "track hardener"
I have no idea what it was but apparantly it isn't very good for you bike and was very abrasive. You might ask somebody who maintains a BMX track

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
We use stuff like that on the mine haul roads to suppress dust. A lot of sites do.

The best stuff I've used is lignosulfate based. Its a soil stabiliser and compaction agent. The best part is it doesn't wash out readily.

The water based polymers you get do set up a crust on the road but need to be worked in more thoroughly and then wet down fully to get the best out of them. The also only have a lisfpan of about three weeks in the road profile. They break down in UV light and can wash out easily.

Chloride salts only seal out the dust by creating a crust as well but the are very mobile in water.

A thought about all of these is that the crust they will set up can be quite jagged particularly on pothole edges. Like sharp enough to cut into earthmover tires.

Other stuff used on mine sites that would be interesting would be bitumen extract oils. Or even better Tekflex if you can get it commercially, it looks like snot but makes a tough membrane over the whole thing.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've had great luck with plywood. We just laid it down and boom, solid runway. Sometimes it helps to nail a couple 2x4's underneath and dig holes for the 2x4's so the sheets down move around while your legs of power put the push in to huck gnargnar.

Plywood can usually be found free at construction sites around 1 in the morning or so. Usually it helps to have a partner. Or just use a white pickup truck and wear orange shirts, no one will question anything, and you can go in the light of the afternoon or evening.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
JoeRay said:
We use stuff like that on the mine haul roads to suppress dust. A lot of sites do.

The best stuff I've used is lignosulfate based. Its a soil stabiliser and compaction agent. The best part is it doesn't wash out readily.

The water based polymers you get do set up a crust on the road but need to be worked in more thoroughly and then wet down fully to get the best out of them. The also only have a lisfpan of about three weeks in the road profile. They break down in UV light and can wash out easily.

Chloride salts only seal out the dust by creating a crust as well but the are very mobile in water.

A thought about all of these is that the crust they will set up can be quite jagged particularly on pothole edges. Like sharp enough to cut into earthmover tires.

Other stuff used on mine sites that would be interesting would be bitumen extract oils. Or even better Tekflex if you can get it commercially, it looks like snot but makes a tough membrane over the whole thing.
Some good info.

thanks

We're trying to fortify desert dirtjumps so that they're pretty impervious to moto roosts, but to some degree, erosion as well. Obviously water only comes in the winter so our repair ability is limited. In the latter case, something somewhat maluable would be best.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
The track 'hardeners' that are being talked about, are compaction agents nothing more ususally. They 'plasticise' the track profile by holding water in the soil for longer allowing for better compaction to take place. The most common chemical used to held this is water crystals. The same thing as you put in your pot plants to help the soil hold more water and stop it drying out. And provided they are kept damp will keep dust down.

Once dry the compaction remains but the surfae will begin to errode.

If you can only use limited water search google for lignosulfates, the brand we use on site is Dustex which is made in South Africa. Good stuff too. Once you set it up and compact it right you can leave it for a looong time.

My only concern would be getting adequate compaction on a BMX track or jumps, theres a big weight difference between a CAT 793 haul truck and a guy on a BMX.

This could be a reason why they break up on jumps after a while. There was only enough compaction to pack in the top few inches leaving a soft substrate which then allows the crust to flex and crack.

Cost wise lignosulfates are a bit spendy, we buy in bulk (tonnes at a time) and it works out to about $100/kilo in Aussie Dollars.

We trialled a polymer a few years back, it cost the same just didn't perform as well and you need to keep watering it.