Quantcast

Pooky

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
Well, I'm not sure where to dump this but I thought I'd start a thread on my new acquisition.

I found this thing on craigslist for $100 advertised as a 58. It looked to be haggard but that hasn't scared me in the past. I met up with the dude and stupidly forgot my tape measure, so I had to go on faith and a quote from Mickey that a 155mm headtube equated to a M/L frame or 57cm. That put it in the ballpark of "it fits" so I went for it. I didn't really need a new bike, but I realized I really like riding on the road, and my flat bar road bike isn't fitting the bill as a fast and enjoyable ride to work. It's not fast and while it's not "not" enjoyable, I like drop bars. This little guy could fit the bill- the Trek goes back on the trainer, the nice bike is saved for outdoor riding, and the pooky will take me to work every other day in low key but incredibly fun fashion.

This is when I got it. It's not in nice shape. It may have been used as a boat anchor:

Still, it was a spooky, and whether welded by Frank the or SAPA, it's a gorgeous, lightweight frame. If it fits and I can get it in shape, it'll be a fun winter project that might be an enjoyable ride.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
Stripping is pretty easy (heh). You just hose the frame in this absolutely toxic gamish of fun, let it sit, then blast it with a hose. Repeat until all the paint drops off. Scrub at the very end, if you need to.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
Here's where we are today, less than 24h later:

Nice and clean and 99% paint free. It desperately needs the corrosion cleaned off of it, but it appears to be crack free and clean. Previous owner actually rode it before parked, but I think it was parked next to the beach...outside.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
Here's the first real problem:

The old bearing race is stuck in the headtube. No sign of the bearing nor headset, but there's the steel race. It is impossible to tap from the top because of the large machined component that the race sits against. I can pry from the bottom, but I have to be careful of the soft aluminum headtube. I am currently soaking it in PBlaster in hopes that it'll eat the corrosion away and drop right out (yeah right). Any tips? The alternative is to just use an open bearing and see if I can get another headset to fit to it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
This frame does appear to be a Havoc Staff. The original owner thought it was a "Halloween special" but it does seem to match up with other havoc staves out there.

Geo for all seven havoc staff owners out there:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here's where we are today, less than 24h later:

Nice and clean and 99% paint free. It desperately needs the corrosion cleaned off of it, but it appears to be crack free and clean. Previous owner actually rode it before parked, but I think it was parked next to the beach...outside.

Looks ready to accept a bunch of flame stickers

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Tempting. I've had bad luck with rattle can paintjobs in the past, and this frame deserves better than a 1992 schwinn BMX.

I found a local powdercoater who will do it for $150. Now I have to pick a color.
Pick a color that will piss off people.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
Still thinking about colors while I wait for the right tools to arrive.

Was thinking about neon orange with black bits, like this:

That there is the huffy dirt water, and also the worst bike I've ever owned. Lo-ten steel, farmer johns, foam grips, friction shifters, and gearing ready to set land speed records. I'm pretty sure it came with a 50, 55, and 60t front rings.
Then again, maybe I shouldn't paint it in a throwback to the bike that prevented me from getting into serious cycling for several years...