Quantcast

Poor people performance

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I wonder if I can make these cuts to breathe some life into them. The tread design is not dramatically different than a DHF in the "uncut" knobs in the center, nor the side knobs, though the molding has weird steps in it. This would get rid of the center knob, clear the side channel, and hopefully make it a little more DHF like.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, but it had a zzyzx fork, stratos helix shock, fat albert rims, and god knows what else. It was a beast of a bike, and shaums made it sing...especially when you compare it to the high-dollar items from GT of the same era.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The Telonix seemed to be their best all purpose tire I saw. The profile is a little round and the knobs a little small and squirmy (from touching), but on a wide rim and on the trail they seemed to do all right. Half the price of the Maxxis equivalents is not bad either.
Telonix are decent. They're pretty light, a bit ballony, but they have pretty good traction. They're best when they can dig into the soil a bit.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So True.

And that 99 Dare was probably 5lbs. lighter and twice as stiff as most bikes with half the travel.
Ellsworth ain't popular but that frame just works.
Not sure about 99 Dare but current ones? Only if you like ovalised headtubes ;)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Not sure about 99 Dare but current ones? Only if you like ovalised headtubes ;)
lol, it was a decent bike at the time. A friend of mine had one from the same era and it feat good when I hopped on it for a few laps.

Of course he snapped the frame bunny hopping around on the street to impress some ladies :disgust1:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They are great on really loose stuff, as long as you're not trying to win any races or pedal.
ha, yeah... they're a bit slow rolling. When I'm climbing on hardpack, I can almost feel each one of those big flat nubs as the wheel goes around.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
If you want some tires for cheap, I have some High Roller take offs I'd sell for real cheap.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
pricepoint has the Stroker Trails for $65 if you wanted something cheap and new
A buddy of mine used these on his trail bike. Said they pumped up after one dh run. Maybe he can elaborate.