Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yep, you're going to hear all the same advice from everyone... I might as well pile on.

Getting strong before surgery is good advice.

So? Who wants to start the "Patellar vs. Hamstring Tendon" debate?

Go Hamstring!

(and good luck IAB!)

Y'all don't realize what a stud IAB already is. Why else would MBC put up with his worthlessness?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've done both versions, patellar and hamstring.

For pure brute power, go hamstring all the way. Got two years out of the patellar, and my hamstring is running strong 9 years later. I should knock on wood.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Of course, there's alway the cadaver option...
This is what my doctor recommended for me (28 @ the time, no hurry to rush back on the field) He thought in the long run (as in old age) this might be the better option.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So when I go for my MRI Saturday, will the MRI technician be able to tell right away how bad the tears are, or is that something my doctor will need to analyze? When I got the ultrasound on my calf yesterday, the ultrasound tech told me immediately that I was ok.

So when I go for my MRI Saturday, will the MRI technician be able to tell right away how bad the tears are, or is that something my doctor will need to analyze? When I got the ultrasound on my calf yesterday, the ultrasound tech told me immediately that I was ok.
MRIs will be read by a radiologist and he/she will send the report to your doc.

No, the tech will not be able to tell.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Techs are pretty good as seeing stuff ER Docs don't, but I'm thinking the US Tech was told they were looking for a clot and the exam was probably geared for that. The MRI Tech is just taking pictures. They can probably see a tear pretty easily, but ruling out a partial tear is probably more difficult and requires a Radiologist.

I had Patella Tendon on my Left Knee and an Allograft(Cadaver) on my Right. The reason I got the Patella on my left was because in 93 the AIDS epidemic was a lot more of an issue. Totally prefer the Allograft on the right, way less pain. I still can't kneel on my left knee without feeling like I'm kneeling on glass.

I guess we'll ride this Fall or in 2010. Heal up.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
there is a reason that medical treatments and diagnostic tests are available by a physician's prescription. there are reasons for this.

:twitch:

OK, Since Doctors are so smart(you know because they are the only one's that can prescribe Medical Treatments and Diagnostic Tests "Accurately"), then answer me this.

What is the difference between an MRI and Elective Surgery. Surely no PCP is going to send you to a Plastic Surgeon for a Facelift, Liposuction, or a Boob Job unless you have had some prior Accident or Medical Condition.​

The only reason I need a prescription for an MRI is because my Insurance wouldn't pay for it otherwise.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MRIs will be read by a radiologist and he/she will send the report to your doc.

No, the tech will not be able to tell.
Yep, it may take a week or so to get the results. They had mine on the screen so I was able to check it out after the MRI. I was trying to decipher it. My conclusion................. I have no clue what I'm looking at :D

Yep, it may take a week or so to get the results. They had mine on the screen so I was able to check it out after the MRI. I was trying to decipher it. My conclusion................. I have no clue what I'm looking at :D
My guess is we'll know by Monday.

I had my MRI results next day (that was like 10 years ago - but still!)

It's all who you know ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
radiologists, the MDs who read imaging studies, actually rely pretty heavily on the ultrasound techs. because of how it is, ultrasound images are most useful if you know which orientation the transducer was, ie if you were there doing the study. MRIs are much more complex and have a lot more data, and i wouldn't rely on the tech's judgment. not that length of education is directly correlated with knowledge about a particular thing but rad techs = two years at a community college while radiology = four of college, four of med school, and then five or six of residency.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
You can't really diagnose an acl by where it hurts. I blew mine out, twice: first time pain was more intense on the inside of the cap, second the outside. Definately get it checked out.......the first time I blew mine, I think I initially just tore it. Kept feeling a little better day-by-day, so I figured **** would buff out. Went otb a few months later, and it completely tore while I was ragdolling with the wreckage

If you have surgery, the first couple months of PT are crucial. I was told I couldn't ride for atleast 9 months.....was back on the bike two months later. Therapist said that by going against the doc's orders, I actually accelerated my healing. But yeah, last one was over a year ago and I still hesitate to put that foot down in loose corners

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
just my .02

if you need to have the ligaments replaced go for the cadaver parts as you heal up much quicker and you don't have multple wound healing sites on your body [from the "donation" sites]
I went will allografts (cadaver) once.....I would say yes and no. It does speed up initial healing, but only by a couple of weeks. I was more concerned with the loss of strength in the hamstring at the donation site, which is apparently more perceived than felt.

Also, cadaver grafts tend to stretch over time. Autografting has moved ahead leaps and bounds, so it's almost a more viable option. 10 years ago, I would have said cadaver all the way.

not to mention I have parts of two dead people in me....a little creepy.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got another friend going under the knife for an ACL reconstruction in a week or so. I keep freaking him out with stories of how I almost puked because of the pain during my post-op physio, and the a-hole who kicked my toe walking down the aisle of the city-bus.

The feeling of a mutinous knee spazzing out while flexing your quads as hard as you can with the electro-stimulation...sublime pain!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Be conservative about undergoing surgery - if you have any option to try rest and reasonable exercise, try it. Orthopedic surgeons like to ply their trade.
That's true. I lived without an ACL for 2 years...

Of course, I didn't do a whole lot of snowboarding in those two years either.

Shop around for your surgeon. I'm sure you guys know lots of folks who've had the procedure done, ask around.

I got super lucky for my surgery, but up here, I think things are more difficult than in 'Merica

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Surgery will may result in a slightly longer healing time but will usually heal much better.

I was given the option of a cast or surgery when I snapped my achillies tendon. The cast would have only taken 2 months but there was no guarantee that it would heal properly. I elected for the surgery and it took about a month in a cast and 4 months in the walking boot. PT was a couple more months and by month 6 I rode on the carriage trails in Acadia but was in no shape to mtn bike. It was about 10 months before I felt 95% and maybe a few more months to be 100% (its amazing how quickly you lose you muscles when you don't use them.). But now my foot feels perfect and is more flexible than ever (the doc said I may not get full mobility back). I broke it playing tennis but I'm back on the court with no ill effects.

If given the option, go for the surgery.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Be conservative about undergoing surgery - if you have any option to try rest and reasonable exercise, try it. Orthopedic surgeons like to ply their trade.
complete bs. I "lived" without an acl for a while too........if you consider no boarding/riding/knee randomly giving out living. ligaments don't heal up very well if they're just torn, and you definately need an acl to have a functional knee. the human body is full of extra parts, acl not being one of them

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have my surgeon picked out. If he says the knee needs surgery, I'm having it done ASAP. No shopping around for a doctor, no looking at alternative medicine, no doing any real involved research. I work for a top 100 hospital and this guy comes very highly recommended.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sounds like you're all set then. I'm assuming he's going for the hamstring option?

Have you picked out a knee brace yet? You can get some sweet custom paint jobs...

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
I have my surgeon picked out. If he says the knee needs surgery, I'm having it done ASAP. No shopping around for a doctor, no looking at alternative medicine, no doing any real involved research. I work for a top 100 hospital and this guy comes very highly recommended.
nice....forget the guys suggesting to try rest and rehab, it's just a waste of time. CTI braces FTW. oh, and percacet gets real fun, real quick.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
nice....forget the guys suggesting to try rest and rehab, it's just a waste of time. CTI braces FTW. oh, and percacet gets real fun, real quick.
I was on percocet for one day after the injury then switched to Advil. Advil helps a little with the aching and I am sure percocet would help a lot more, but that stuff renders me completely useless (more so than usual). I'd rather have a little pain and still be able to do stuff.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
after the surgery, you'll want to be useless for a few days......and it's also nice to be able to bump your foot into stuff while crutching around, and laugh it off

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've got another friend going under the knife for an ACL reconstruction in a week or so. I keep freaking him out with stories of how I almost puked because of the pain during my post-op physio, and the a-hole who kicked my toe walking down the aisle of the city-bus.

The feeling of a mutinous knee spazzing out while flexing your quads as hard as you can with the electro-stimulation...sublime pain!
That's too bad... my physio wasn't bad at all.