Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
complete bs. I "lived" without an acl for a while too........if you consider no boarding/riding/knee randomly giving out living. ligaments don't heal up very well if they're just torn, and you definately need an acl to have a functional knee. the human body is full of extra parts, acl not being one of them
The docotr said you can live w/o one, but as you mentioned... you run the risk of further injury to your knee/cartilage if it continues to pop out. Some people have success by wearing a knee brace while doing anything but walking.

The year between my "knee sprain" and when it popped out again (which lead to the proper diagnosis - completely shredded ACL) I did lots of hiking in the Yosemite backcountry. Had it popped out then, it would have been very bad.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
I have my surgeon picked out. If he says the knee needs surgery, I'm having it done ASAP. No shopping around for a doctor, no looking at alternative medicine, no doing any real involved research. I work for a top 100 hospital and this guy comes very highly recommended.

we can't do my recomended fix that i suggested for BadDNA!?!?!? gorilla glue and duct tape will work for you. or we could use that Billy Mays special fabric fixer crap or that special green to white technology putty. it can hold 80,000 lbs!!! which hospital you getting it done at? my cousin had her knee done at a hospital in Boston and they were supposed to be the best in the city for ortho but i can't remember which one it was.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
He called - doc's initial impressions are at least a partially torn ACL & LCL - the MRI lab already called to schedule.

ADDITIONALLY, his calf is swollen so he is going right now for an ultrasound to make sure it's not a blood clot.

He is being fitted for an immobilizer and the doc is already talking surgery ASAP.
And this is why I hate GPs... "Doc, I'm in horrible horrible pain and something is definitely wrong!!" Response? "Ummmmm, you're fine, here's some Advil". Thankfully I finally got on to the "Hi Doc, something's wrong with my shoulder, I need a referral to my Ortho" plan. GPs with me are about 4 for 4 in not diagnosing a problem when subsequently my Ortho (or bloodwork) showed that things were DEFINITELY wrong.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
While I was in the exam room, the doc was phoning in all his notes to himself. I heard him say "My opinion: Torn ACL and LCL." Then I read the presciption he wrote for the knee immobilizer: "Left ACL tear."

God dammit.

He took out a fake knee to show me exactly what was going on. He has no doubt it's at least a minor tear of both ligaments. The MRI will determine whether or not I need surgery. I've got the MRI at 8:00AM Saturday.
Sorry to hear it IAB. Hope it heals up fast.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
just saw this thread now - so sorry to hear IAB. injuries sux and I speak from experience....

best of luck - hope you make a quick and full recovery.

cheers!
- Luc

complete bs. I "lived" without an acl for a while too........if you consider no boarding/riding/knee randomly giving out living. ligaments don't heal up very well if they're just torn, and you definately need an acl to have a functional knee. the human body is full of extra parts, acl not being one of them
Hold on, Susan, no diagnosis yet... I trashed my left knee many years ago in a motorcycle mishap, had an orthopedic surgeon who was real hot to operate, decided to wait and see. I'll spare the details, but ask the people I ride with if I have a problem (with the knee, dammit).

Hold on, Susan, no diagnosis yet... I trashed my left knee many years ago in a motorcycle mishap, had an orthopedic surgeon who was real hot to operate, decided to wait and see. I'll spare the details, but ask the people I ride with if I have a problem (with the knee, dammit).
that was when doctors operated with sticks and nonsterile equipment and pain medicine was biting a bullet. It's much different now.

:busted:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Had the MRI this morning. No word yet on the results. WTF?

I may have dozed off during the MRI...I twitched myself awake and the woman said she had to do another scan because I moved.

:confused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Had the MRI this morning. No word yet on the results. WTF?

I may have dozed off during the MRI...I twitched myself awake and the woman said she had to do another scan because I moved.

:confused:
MRIs take a long time to read on the weekend if they're non-emergent, yes, even in america :busted: . it might not be read and finalized until sunday afternoon or even monday.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MRIs take a long time to read on the weekend if they're non-emergent, yes, even in america :busted: . it might not be read and finalized until sunday afternoon or even monday.
But this is me we're talking about. I expect a fast turnaroud. :monkey: I think I'll call around noon today to put a little bug in their ear.

Here we are a week later and I feel no better. The knee still hurts like hell and is still swollen.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the mustache has healing powers....it wasn't the surgeon.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It still hurts like hell just sitting there? That's weird. Ice and elevate I guess... You must be expecting your results today. But yeah, PT is the way to go for now. They'll probably give you ultrasound to help get the swelling down. The cool jelly has magic powers.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I would get a dose of the treatment as picutred with every visit. It actually seemed to help quite a bit.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
my cousin had her knee done at a hospital in Boston and they were supposed to be the best in the city for ortho but i can't remember which one it was.
Probably New England Baptist.

HaHa! I'm good for one of those almost every MRI. I don't know why I find the cycling of the Magnetics so relaxing.

The Ultrasound you had was an Exam. There's also Ultrasonic Therapy. I'm not sure PTs are convinced it works well enough for the knee. I can't remember what they said to me about it, but I've had a lot of knee therapy and only a couple Ultrasounds.

Any results yet?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I spoke to the doctor's office. They said MRI results could take a week. They are analyzed in order, so they need to get through any backlog before getting to mine. Then it needs to be analyzed, transcribed, and sent to my doctor. The nurse said she'll flag my file though so she'll look for it. Hey, as long as my file is flagged. :rolleyes: It'll probably be flagged as "pain in the ass patient."

Hey, as long as my file is flagged. :rolleyes: It'll probably be flagged as "pain in the ass patient."
If the phone rings in the middle of the night it'll be the AMA like Elaine!

Guy : We are with the American Medical Association . Can you confirm the

correct spelling of your last name ?

Elaine : Yeah . What is this all about

Guy : Good bye .

Elaine : Hello , hello .

Guy : What ?

Elaine : Oh uh uh ...

Guy : Get off the line . Were trying to make another call .

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I was on percocet for one day after the injury then switched to Advil. Advil helps a little with the aching and I am sure percocet would help a lot more, but that stuff renders me completely useless (more so than usual). I'd rather have a little pain and still be able to do stuff.
Not sure if you've ever had a surgery, but the difference of breaking a bone, or tearing a ligament is indeed painful. Now couple that with the tissue damage of being raped by drills, screws, metal parts, dead body parts ON TOP of your current damage from surgery.

Dude don't be a hero, take all the best dope you can get for a while if indeed you go under the knife...

Not trying to scare you, the one good thing about surgery is at least having an idea of recovery time, eventually getting to work on recovery with PT and such. But just chalk down a handful of days for being a slobbering drugged up good for nothing, while your body heals from major trauma.

Hopefully you're just a big baby and the docs come back saying you've just got a sprain, and don't need surgery. That really would be the best outcome here.:monkey:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Not sure if you've ever had a surgery, but the difference of breaking a bone, or tearing a ligament is indeed painful. Now couple that with the tissue damage of being raped by drills, screws, metal parts, dead body parts ON TOP of your current damage from surgery.

Dude don't be a hero, take all the best dope you can get for a while if indeed you go under the knife...

Not trying to scare you, the one good thing about surgery is at least having an idea of recovery time, eventually getting to work on recovery with PT and such. But just chalk down a handful of days for being a slobbering drugged up good for nothing, while your body heals from major trauma.

Hopefully you're just a big baby and the docs come back saying you've just got a sprain, and don't need surgery. That really would be the best outcome here.:monkey:
Jesus Christ man. What happened to you? :D

Heal up IRB. With a quickness.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I spoke to the doctor's office. They said MRI results could take a week. They are analyzed in order, so they need to get through any backlog before getting to mine. Then it needs to be analyzed, transcribed, and sent to my doctor. The nurse said she'll flag my file though so she'll look for it. Hey, as long as my file is flagged. :rolleyes: It'll probably be flagged as "pain in the ass patient."
A week! That seems long, but mine may have been then exception to the rule.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Got my MRI results. ACL tear and I need surgery. HOORAY!!! The MRI didn't reveal any LCL damage. Interesting. So the doc's assistant will be calling me to schedule a pre-op meeting to clear me for surgery.

It's going to be a fun Spring!