Quantcast

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I guess the bribe worked...

That sucks. Get on a waiting list if you're in a hurry. That's what I did once I finally made the decision to have the procedure. I'm sure you'll be riding by June. Just don't fall off.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I guess the bribe worked...

That sucks. Get on a waiting list if you're in a hurry. That's what I did once I finally made the decision to have the procedure. I'm sure you'll be riding by June. Just don't fall off.
When I met with the doc last Wednesday, he said I'd have the surgery within 2-3 weeks if it was needed. My gut instinct tells me I'll have it next week.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Got my MRI results. ACL tear and I need surgery. HOORAY!!! The MRI didn't reveal any LCL damage. Interesting. So the doc's assistant will be calling me to schedule a pre-op meeting to clear me for surgery.

It's going to be a fun Spring!
Oh man - I just sent you an email asking if you had results yet.

They do some great stuff with knee surgery now IAB - I'm sure you'll be good as new in due time.

Mark

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
When I met with the doc last Wednesday, he said I'd have the surgery within 2-3 weeks if it was needed. My gut instinct tells me I'll have it next week.
They don't want to let the swelling go down first? I seem to remember that being a concern in my case early on...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Does this mean a the end of Hockey Player Phil ? Freeride Phil ? Anything Dangerous Phil ?
Probably the end of Hockey Phil, which is unfortunate because that is what I am best at. Freeride Phil is done for 2009, but His Wife Will Buy Him an XC Bike Phil has been born.

Plus, Beer Phil isn't going anywhere.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
MY BIRTHDAY is next week! :)
it's always gotta be about YOU doesn't it!! :disgust1: LOL!!

well that sucks to have to go under the knife or orthoscope or whatever the hell they use now. better sooner than later i guess. good luck with the recovery, at least now you'll have a legit reason to drink many beers. perc's and beer can be quite interesting!!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Does this mean a the end of Hockey Player Phil ? Freeride Phil ? Anything Dangerous Phil ?
the end of hockey Phil!?!?!?!? come on dude, you'll be back on the floor in no time. if you've played long enough that alone will draw you back to play. i'm looking forward to playing on the ice again myself.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Got my MRI results. ACL tear and I need surgery. HOORAY!!! The MRI didn't reveal any LCL damage. Interesting. So the doc's assistant will be calling me to schedule a pre-op meeting to clear me for surgery.

It's going to be a fun Spring!
Hombre de Perro Caliente has a point, if i'm coming off sounding like a dick sorry. At any rate sorry to hear about your poor luck. Speaking from experience my prior message is true. The pain after surgery isn't the worst pain, but it still warrants drug taking even if you don't like being loopy. i feel the same way, years of sobriety, it actually scares me to be out of my head, not used to being out of my head anymore. But take them i did and would until the pain goes away suffieciently.

If i could offer advice, with the effort you've put into inquiring about your knee, equal that for finding a GOOD physical therapist. Ligaments are different that broken bones, as it's not good to push yourself prematurely, so with your being athletic and active, be honest with you PT, Doc, and yourself to heal back into top shelf status.

Good luck deck hockey superstar.:monkey:

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Surgery scheduled for May 5. Two months out seems kind of far. Is that normal? I've got to hobble around on crutches for two months?
Sorry to hear about the injury. 2 months does seem long but if you've got the best surgeon it's probably worth the wait. I just had my ankle fixed by one of the best docs in the area and it took about 4 weeks for surgery to be scheduled.

When you do get the surgery---I can echo the comments on taking the pain pills. (or as my husband prefers to say "Take the d@*m pills") You'll heal faster if you're not in horrible pain and can get plenty of sleep. Who cares if you're loopy, there's nothing good on daytime television anyway.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Surgery scheduled for May 5. Two months out seems kind of far. Is that normal? I've got to hobble around on crutches for two months?
The pain will start to go away in a week or so and you should be able to get around without crutches. 2 months is nothing. As soon as your knee starts feeling better, get on your bike and ride, fire trails, street, nothing technical it will help keep up your leg strength. As soon as you're done with surgery your leg will have totally atrophied. This should help you recover quicker.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Did they not mention pre-surgery PT? Maybe you should call and ask. At least maybe they should be able to help you out with the pain and swelling a little bit.

Any idea what type of surgery? ie patella/hammy/cadaver

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The pain will start to go away in a week or so and you should be able to get around without crutches. 2 months is nothing. As soon as your knee starts feeling better, get on your bike and ride, fire trails, street, nothing technical it will help keep up your leg strength. As soon as you're done with surgery your leg will have totally atrophied. This should help you recover quicker.
Well I hope you're right. My knee feels completely unstable right now.

Did they not mention pre-surgery PT? Maybe you should call and ask. At least maybe they should be able to help you out with the pain and swelling a little bit.

Any idea what type of surgery? ie patella/hammy/cadaver
They are going to schedule a pre-op appointment to discuss all that. Right now I have no idea about any of that stuff.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sorry to hear about the injury. 2 months does seem long but if you've got the best surgeon it's probably worth the wait. I just had my ankle fixed by one of the best docs in the area and it took about 4 weeks for surgery to be scheduled.

When you do get the surgery---I can echo the comments on taking the pain pills. (or as my husband prefers to say "Take the d@*m pills") You'll heal faster if you're not in horrible pain and can get plenty of sleep. Who cares if you're loopy, there's nothing good on daytime television anyway.
I'm going to take whatever drugs they give me. I only stopped with the percocet after the ER visit so I could return to work after one day. :monkey:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if only you didn't live in Canada with its inefficient socialized medicin... oh, wait. :busted:

for elective surgery at a busy center that sounds about normal. emergent surgeries get done emergently no matter where you are.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just make sure that after waiting that long for surgery they don't pull the 'ol switcharoo on you and give you some butcher of a resident instead of the ace surgeon you've been waiting for.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
if only you didn't live in Canada with its inefficient socialized medicin... oh, wait. :busted:

for elective surgery at a busy center that sounds about normal. emergent surgeries get done emergently no matter where you are.
Springfield, MA. Every health care center you walk into here is busy as hell.

Wumpus, thanks for that info.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
May sound weird, but get a blood test before surgery for the detection of any blood clotting genes. Learned the hard way, my father went in to get his right knee replaced back in January of 2007 and 3 days later he had a blood clot pass through his left leg and into his lungs while at physical therapy in the hospital. It was later found out that he has both types of blood clotting gene mutations.

Was already checked here and I have the Factor V Leiden mutation gene. Which can produce a blood clot with surgery.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I waited six weeks before my last rebuild, and I am thankful that I did. For one thing I got the best flesh mechanic in Reno/Tahoe, and for another it gave me the time to really kick my ass every day in PT to get as strong as I could before he cut me up.

This gave me a knee that has endured (knock on wood) eight plus years of year round rugby, downhill, free riding, snow boarding, running a marathon, tromping around in four different countries with a gun in my hands, a few dozen bar fights and getting into jujitsu.

At first I was resistant to the hamstring graft, but now looking back at the last eight years, there is no other way I would have gone.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yikes! Two months seems a little long (I would expect 4-6 weeks), but my surgeon squeezed me in so I could still race the races I had paid for (but mine wasn't an ACL tear). I too would check on pre-surgery PT, you're going to want to be stronger before so you can retain some muscle strength afterward. I was riding pretty quickly afterward too...cycling was great PT for me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I spoke to the doc's office this morning. I can ditch the immobilizer and crutches whenever I feel comfortable enough to do so. I can do whatever exercise I want as long there is no leg impact (running) or pivoting and as long as my knee doesn't hurt. That includes pedaling, leg presses and leg machines. Back to the gym tomorrow! Swelling should go down in a few weeks and will be drained if it doesn't. No pre-surgery PT unless I can't bend my knee by then, as my own exercise schedule is plenty. Continue ice and Advil. Drink as much beer as possible.

I e-mailed the doc yesterday and he said he'll see what he can do about moving my date up.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I spoke to the doc's office this morning. I can ditch the immobilizer and crutches whenever I feel comfortable enough to do so. I can do whatever exercise I want as long there is no leg impact (running) or pivoting and as long as my knee doesn't hurt. That includes pedaling, leg presses and leg machines. Back to the gym tomorrow! Swelling should go down in a few weeks and will be drained if it doesn't. No pre-surgery PT unless I can't bend my knee by then, as my own exercise schedule is plenty. Continue ice and Advil. Drink as much beer as possible.

I e-mailed the doc yesterday and he said he'll see what he can do about moving my date up.
:thumb: It's never a bad thing to have your surgery bumped up, especially if it means you can do a little riding this summer. Sq-Earl's shoulder surgery got bumped up a few weeks when he asked too. The guys who was supposed to have surgery was sick or something.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I can not get a 90 degree bend it in.
I bet you can't straighten it either, right?

Time heals all. Except in your case. At least you're getting it all over with quickly. I'm still kinda surprised they're not telling you to hold off for a bit of pre-surgery PT.

Anyhoo, good luck! Get a good look at your still perfect looking knee (minus the swelling...). It'll be all lumpy an numb in a few weeks!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Nah, an IPA or a DIPA is too predictable, this is a birthday beer, we're going to go with something a little different. He'll find out what it is when he gets the first bottle.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
leg machines.
Might want to stay away from the Leg Extension. Probably wouldn't be able to do it anyway, but it one of the exercise they don't like you doing with the ACL. Although I pleaded with my doctor to let me do it well after surgery and he agreed. I felt it would be easier for me to push my knee to extension instead of the gorilla of a PT pushing down on it.

Also, and it pains me to say this, you may want to curtail your Alcohol intake. This was just a personal observation, but dehrdration associated with Alcohol seemed to cause me more discomfort. It could just have been that I didn't drink enough water to superceed the alcohol intake though.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Nah, an IPA or a DIPA is too predictable, this is a birthday beer, we're going to go with something a little different. He'll find out what it is when he gets the first bottle.
:monkeydance:

Also, and it pains me to say this, you may want to curtail your Alcohol intake. This was just a personal observation, but dehrdration associated with Alcohol seemed to cause me more discomfort. It could just have been that I didn't drink enough water to superceed the alcohol intake though.
Then knee be damned!! :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I haven't had more than a few beers in the past two months. I can actually say I feel better for it, mainly because of hydration. No matter how much water I drink along with it beer dehydrates me. I can have one 12 oz beer and will piss 5 gallons the following hour. I can drink a bunch of water and rehydrate but it causes these cycles of dehydration and water retension. Not drinking beer makes me sad but at least there is a small upside to it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I haven't had more than a few beers in the past two months. I can actually say I feel better for it, mainly because of hydration. No matter how much water I drink along with it beer dehydrates me. I can have one 12 oz beer and will piss 5 gallons the following hour. I can drink a bunch of water and rehydrate but it causes these cycles of dehydration and water retension. Not drinking beer makes me sad but at least there is a small upside to it.
How do you keep so jubilant?