Quantcast

POP goes my vanilla RC

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
My rear end/shock was making a clicking/clunking noise. So I took off the shock, pulled the spring and while I was cycling it through its stroke, the whole shaft end popped off in my lap. It seems to have unthreaded itself from the piston assembly.

Pissed

I think a 5th element is in my near future but man does this suck in the here and now.

Anyone have any experience dealing with Fox? I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
tell us how it works out. I might hafta deal w/ them in the near future as well. From what i hear though they take pretty good care of their customers, though i can't say that first hand.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by SpasticJack
My rear end/shock was making a clicking/clunking noise. So I took off the shock, pulled the spring and while I was cycling it through its stroke, the whole shaft end popped off in my lap. It seems to have unthreaded itself from the piston assembly.

Pissed

I think a 5th element is in my near future but man does this suck in the here and now.

Anyone have any experience dealing with Fox? I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.
That sucks, they are good to deal with though, sometimes if the shock is out of warranty they still might cover it cause of what happened.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
sent it out today. looks like the worst that could come of it is I end up paying ~$60-100 to get it put back together. Of course i'd rather have put that toward a 5th Element but such is the way things go. What peeves me is that it wasn't a result of abuse or anything like that, the piston just backed off the shaft which then popped out. we shall see.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
sent it out today. looks like the worst that could come of it is I end up paying ~$60-100 to get it put back together. Of course i'd rather have put that toward a 5th Element but such is the way things go. What peeves me is that it wasn't a result of abuse or anything like that, the piston just backed off the shaft which then popped out. we shall see.
Did you call them first?

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
yeah strangely enough, a buddy of mine who works at the LBS mangled his Vanilla RX last week so we got RA#s for both and sent them together. Hopefully when they see what he did to his (he bent the bottom collar and knocked the threaded collar off it's threads), they'll take pity on me and not charge me so much :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
yeah strangely enough, a buddy of mine who works at the LBS mangled his Vanilla RX last week so we got RA#s for both and sent them together. Hopefully when they see what he did to his (he bent the bottom collar and knocked the threaded collar off it's threads), they'll take pity on me and not charge me so much :)
They may only charge it as an employee repair since they were sent in together.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Sounds like your buddy overpreloaded his spring. Ouch.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
that and/or the fact that he's a BIG (6'5 270#) guy and no one makes a heavy enough spring for his bike/shock. He's looking at getting a lower leverage bike so better spring rates will be avail.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
that and/or the fact that he's a BIG (6'5 270#) guy and no one makes a heavy enough spring for his bike/shock. He's looking at getting a lower leverage bike so better spring rates will be avail.
What size spring is he running and what kind of bike? I know the old Trek DH's had Rxs on them and where always destroying the spring collars.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
He has a 700# spring on it which is the heaviest anyone makes for that shock. Its the Trek Pro Issue DH, the blue and white one.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
He has a 700# spring on it which is the heaviest anyone makes for that shock. Its the Trek Pro Issue DH, the blue and white one.
I figured it was a Trek. Like I said I have seen that quite often on those bikes. i don;t think it's a spring problem but a design flaw. That a 2.25 stroke shock , right?

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
700# is the heaviest Fox and MountainSpeed maek for a 7.5" shock. He has been trying to get a heavier one since he got the bike.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
What some guys I know did was have a local 4WD shop (spring shop) make one for them................there's work great...and you can get any size spring you need at whatever compression you want.

Hope this helps.:D