Quantcast

Popular* music becoming more politically poignant?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Has anybody else noticed that popular music is starting to get a lot more politically poignant as of late? It was pretty common in the '60's and '70's for music to be a focal point around which people could consolidate anti-war, anti-racism, etc ideas. I've always wondered if it was something that we would see in a more modern environment with so many different music styles. Haley listens to Taylor Swift on occasion and her last few popular songs have been very directly LGBTQ+ supporting. I've heard it in pop and hip-hop lately, especially as musicians are getting more politically active because of Trump.

One of the bands I listen to regularly, Rise Against, is historically pretty progressive just dropped a song you would have assume was written for Trump/COVID/late-stage capitalism (below). They're not a direct as say... Rage Against the Machine, but this song was 'wow' level of straightforward.

Has anybody else noticed this change of focus in popular music?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In general, I think most bands, past their first cocaine-infused recordings, are pretty smart in general, to put together the compositions, understand sound and music, etc. It never ceases to amaze me what songs the fucking RNC/party puts to their campaign rallies and ads. And then said artist has to issue a cease and desist, as if the fucking lyrics weren't obvious enough if you actually listened to them. That shows you what level we are working with in politics. For the last time, stop playing "Born in the USA" and "Keep on Rocking in the Free World". I think one of the latest ones was Trump parading around with "Fortunate Son"...

Of course, there are a few that just go off the deep end politically, like Dave Mustaine, but by and large, they seem to be operating a few levels above most politics...

I don't think any of this is a recent development.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You lost me at "popular music"... :D
what do your kids like to listen too....

did you ever have to suffer through what they wanted to listen to in the car or were they doing pushups by the side of the road if they touched the radio.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
what do your kids like to listen too....

did you ever have to suffer through what they wanted to listen to in the car or were they doing pushups by the side of the road if they touched the radio.....
Haley generally listens to punk. But even then, there is more mainstream.