Quantcast

popunders?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
just clicked to open a thread and had a national guard popunder show up. what gives? i have safari blocking popups (although the blocker kind of sucks), so this is kind of annoying.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
just clicked to open a thread and had a national guard popunder show up. what gives? i have safari blocking popups (although the blocker kind of sucks), so this is kind of annoying.
These things can be caused by a virus or malware on your computer. We do not support pop-ups or pop-unders, so this shouldn't be there.

If you get it again, please snap a quick screen grab, and if possible copy the link thats behind it. We can do our best to track down what might be happening.

Anyone else get this?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Doug, I have had the very occasional popup, no more than once a month certainly and there's definitely no malware on this machine. Never occurred to me to do a screen grab; a long time ago, we used to serve up one per user session/day so I assumed they were normal. I'll take a screen shot next time.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
dont get a popup blocker most are just trojans anyways. Get eset smart security or nod32. I have it on my computer and have never had any problems or anything. It's a little expensive but you can literally do WHATEVER you want online and never worry about viruses or spyware.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would like to state unequivocally that there is no antivirus program in the universe that allows you to "do whatever you want online and never worry about viruses or spyware."

There is no substitute for smart browsing habits.

I've used and worked with a whole lot of antivirus programs, used by a whole lot of people, and none of them are 100%. Not one.

Your antivirus program should be your last line of defense, not your first one.

jerkyspace

Chimp
Jul 8, 2007
Try something like this:

HostsMan
http://www.abelhadigital.com/

Its free and it works great. It basically blocks specific domains that are abusive with spyware/advertising and sites known to allow malware/hijacking. It actually works too good. You will want to dial it back so you can see some ads because it blocks almost everything (pop ups/unders and most annoying banners). It is easy to customize and there are frequently updates.

cheers

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
^ Bear in mind that you're using this website free of charge, and ads are what keep us in business. So before you block our ads, please be mindful of the fact that the result is that, not only are you using the site free of charge, you are actually costing us money.

What we have here is a set of ads that are against our policy but are sneaking through. We can stop them, we just need to know what ads they are. MtnbikeMike, thanks for the update - I'll make sure we take a look.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I poked around and could not duplicate that. Mr.Bishop handles most of our ad network stuff for the forums so I will forward this URL along to him. He is, however, a little busy at the moment. Trivial stuff like getting married and going on his honeymoon :D

When you say "popping up" - is it a popup (a new window that comes up in front of your browser), a popunder (a new window that comes up behind the browser), or a rich media ad where it's something like a flash-based ad in the actual browser window itself?

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
I poked around and could not duplicate that. Mr.Bishop handles most of our ad network stuff for the forums so I will forward this URL along to him. He is, however, a little busy at the moment. Trivial stuff like getting married and going on his honeymoon :D

When you say "popping up" - is it a popup (a new window that comes up in front of your browser), a popunder (a new window that comes up behind the browser), or a rich media ad where it's something like a flash-based ad in the actual browser window itself?
ok it just happend again..def a pop-up over the browser

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah.

I will discuss with Doug but that doesn't look like one of our ads. I'd be surprised if it was.

I think you may have some adware.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Ah.

I will discuss with Doug but that doesn't look like one of our ads. I'd be surprised if it was.

I think you may have some adware.
Hey guys!

Yeah as BV said, sometimes computers can get infected with very subtle malware that simply displays the company's ads instead of your regular web browsing experience. However, sometimes pop up/under ads and other super annoying things do come through in our ad system... so we'll work this from both fronts.

For the people seeing the occasional pop up/under - please scan your computer for malware. I like to use Spybot SD - Spybot - Search & Destroy - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Free, light and seems effective.

I will bring this evidence to the guy that handles our ad networks, as we can get specific ads blocked. So we'll attack it on both fronts, and figure out the culprit.

This thread is great though - if you see an ad that seems suspicious grab a screen capture and post it up. Helps us track down what is causing it, because the LAST thing we want is abusive ads.

The site needs ads for revenue, but we want that revenue from bike companies, not poker pop-unders. As we develop our relationships with bike companies, you'll slowly see more and more related ads.

So if you work for a bike company - consider throwing some ads up on here. If you don't, make sure to mention to your favorite manufacturer or accessory company that you would love to see their products advertised on RM. :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So I've gotten this twice so far this morning, and only on Ridemonkey. Thoughts? Something of yours? Haven't seen it on anything else, which is why I'm questioning it...

I'll run through the program you posted Mr. Bishop, but was just curious. Virus? Advertisement? Thoughts?

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
So I've gotten this twice so far this morning, and only on Ridemonkey. Thoughts? Something of yours? Haven't seen it on anything else, which is why I'm questioning it...

I'll run through the program you posted Mr. Bishop, but was just curious. Virus? Advertisement? Thoughts?

Well, we were having problems with the other ad serving company, so we decided to switch and do it on our own. Much better control that way, so we can end this. ONly problem, is that some of the options re-set, and now we have these things coming up. We're working hard today to get them all taken care of. Here's what you can do to help:

1) Copy the URL that is in the offending ad - you can right click on the link and hit copy, or select it from the navbar if it is available.

2) Screen capture. Post!

Thanks everyone for your patience. We'll get this dealt with!