Quantcast

Pork Chops.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Always thought pork chops were OK, then I had some at a local fancy pants foodie joint. Holy shit.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I prefer mine pan blackened (using olive oil instead of butter) with cajun spices. I'll pass on the breading
Get some Frenchs fried onions. Put them in a ziplock bag and mush them up. Add some rice flour chopped ginger and Red Pepper flakes into the bag. Place the chops in the mix. Fry in Peanut oil. Double dip them.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Get some Frenchs fried onions. Put them in a ziplock bag and mush them up. Add some rice flour chopped ginger and Red Pepper flakes into the bag. Place the chops in the mix. Fry in Peanut oil. Double dip them.
Um no....I don't like breaded meats at all

and

Peanut Oil Is High in Omega-6 Fats
Omega-6 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat. They are an essential fatty acid, meaning that you must get them through the diet because your body cannot make them.

Along with the better known omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids play a critical role in proper growth and development, as well as normal brain function.

While omega-3s help fight inflammation in the body that can lead to a number of chronic diseases, omega-6s tend to be more pro-inflammatory.

Although both of these essential fatty acids are crucial to health, modern-day diets tend to be too high in omega-6 fatty acids. In fact, the typical American diet can contain 14 to 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids (15).

Experts suggest that this ratio should be closer to 1:1 or 4:1 for optimal health. Omega-6 intake has skyrocketed over the last few decades, along with rates of inflammatory diseases like heart disease, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease and cancer (16, 17, 18).

In fact, multiple studies link high intakes of omega-6 fats to an increased risk of breast cancer in women (19, 20).

The evidence supporting a link between the heavy consumption of these pro-inflammatory fats and certain diseases is strong, though it should be noted that the research is ongoing.

Peanut oil is very high in omega-6s and lacks omega-3s. In order to eat a more balanced ratio of these essential fatty acids, limit intake of oils high in omega-6s, such as peanut oil.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you can handle planning in advance, a wet or (preferably, IMO) dry brine is magic for pork chops. Best (only?) way to keep 'em tender and moist to the bone despite the heat needed for a good sear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have never liked pork chops. Maybe I haven't had the right ones. Just kinda tough meat, meh.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I made pork chops for lunch (the beauty of working at home).
S&P in a touch of oil in a hot pan for few minutes per side. Something juicy and delicious to mop up my leftover mac & cheese.

Not much worse than an overcooked chop. Some folks think a medium rare to medium pork chop will kill them.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Um no....I don't like breaded meats at all

and

Peanut Oil Is High in Omega-6 Fats
Omega-6 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat. They are an essential fatty acid, meaning that you must get them through the diet because your body cannot make them.

Along with the better known omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids play a critical role in proper growth and development, as well as normal brain function.

While omega-3s help fight inflammation in the body that can lead to a number of chronic diseases, omega-6s tend to be more pro-inflammatory.

Although both of these essential fatty acids are crucial to health, modern-day diets tend to be too high in omega-6 fatty acids. In fact, the typical American diet can contain 14 to 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids (15).

Experts suggest that this ratio should be closer to 1:1 or 4:1 for optimal health. Omega-6 intake has skyrocketed over the last few decades, along with rates of inflammatory diseases like heart disease, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease and cancer (16, 17, 18).

In fact, multiple studies link high intakes of omega-6 fats to an increased risk of breast cancer in women (19, 20).

The evidence supporting a link between the heavy consumption of these pro-inflammatory fats and certain diseases is strong, though it should be noted that the research is ongoing.

Peanut oil is very high in omega-6s and lacks omega-3s. In order to eat a more balanced ratio of these essential fatty acids, limit intake of oils high in omega-6s, such as peanut oil.
Here is the deal. I buy Meat at a Butcher. Pork is cheaper in the fall and early winter here. So I rarely get chops to my satisfaction year round. So I buy them in the fall. Like summer peaches they are gone pretty fast when they become affordable. So I rarely eat them. Once maybe twice a year.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Growing up, my mother was convinced that any pork chop that wasn’t cooked to a grey, gristly trump worthy piece of scorched flesh was pure death on a plate.
It took me until my 20’s to have a properly cooked pork chop.
Oh, well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Growing up, my mother was convinced that any pork chop that wasn’t cooked to a grey, gristly trump worthy piece of scorched flesh was pure death on a plate.
It took me until my 20’s to have a properly cooked pork chop.
Oh, well.
That's my problem exactly. I still hate ham, but pulled pork, bacon, bellies, that's all good.

The problem is my parents thought I would like the same things that they did and when I didn't, they assured me that I would later and I was wrong. I still hate the same stuff I hated then, for the same reasons.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Pork Chop Char Su (Jims version)
Get 4/5 chops. No bones. Trim the fat close. Keep some. Pound them thin, 1" chop to 1/2", slice up length wise in 1/2" slices..
Marinate them in Dr Pepper, Soy sauce (Cheap $ store brand), ground ginger (just a pinch), salt and pepper, Rice wine vinegar, Five spice powder if you have it (just a little...).
Let sit over night.
Throw them in rice flour, egg, and panko. Zip lock bag will do the trick.
Fry them at 350 for 6 minutes or until they golden brown. I use Peanut oil and do not fully submerge the chops. Internal temp 145 is perfect.
Cook some rice 1 cup per serving...
In a pan heat some Hoison, Honey, and Sriracha (Glaze) equal amounts. It doesn't keep so don't go crazy...
Serve over white rice, garnish with green onions and the pour the glaze over the fried chops...

Last edited: