Quantcast

Pork With Feijoas And Ginger

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Cooked this tonight, man it rocks!
I realize that the American monkeys might struggle ot get hold of a delicacy like Feijoas, but I figured I'd post this up for some of the locals (and to piss off Damo who knows what they are but can't get any;) ).
Excellent winter dish rich creamy and filling. Served it with fresh steamed beans and mashed potatoes, I lightened up to stodgyness of the spuds by grating some lemon zest in as I was mashing them, it worked a treat.... just a lil zest mind.

PORK WITH FEIJOAS AND GINGER

INGREDIENTS

20g butter
2 pork fillets
100ml ginger wine
6-8 feijoas (about 200g flesh)
100ml cream
salt freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
Preheat the oven to 200C.

Melt the butter in a frying pan. Season the pork and brown on all sides. Remove it to a dish and place in oven to finish cooking - it will take about 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. When the pork is cooked, remove it from the oven to a warm place to rest for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, pour off any excess fat from the pan. Pour, in the wine and bring it to the boil, scraping off any browned bits from the bottom of the pan,

Peel and chop the Feijoas, and add to the pan. Simmer till the liquid has thickened. Stir in the cream and simmer till slightly thickened. Adjust the seasoning to suit.

Slice the pork fillets on the diagonal and arrange on a plate with the sauce poured over them.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
ok.... Remind me in 6 months and I'll cook it again. :D

I keep Feijoas in the freezer in the off season....... that and you can get Feijoa pulp year round from some supermarkets.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I might have been wrong on that.... I noticed the other day in Palmers that some of the newer hybrids are self pollenating, the older ones in many gardens around NZ need a 2nd plant to cross pollenate with.

Did your mum take cuttings from her own plant or buy a new one?
Just fed wrinkly some of the leftovers as it's ok to eat with his allergy...... He was whimpering for more! :D
lol and it wasn't even one of my better ones as I used a bit too much feijoa and they were under ripe.