Quantcast

Port Angeles - Underworld Cup

Oct 20, 2009
<p>The Specialized Factory DH team was in Port Angeles, Washington this past weekend for the second round of the Northwest cup. Dubbed the Underworld Cup due to amount of World Cup pros who attend, it gives athletes a great warm up for the world cup race season. Aaron Gwin brought home the top result for the Specialized team, finishing up on the podium in 4th place. Troy Brosnan was 11th and Mitch Ropelato wound up in 14th place.</p><p>
</p><p>
Gwin spoke about his run after the race. "My run was good. It was a fun track, great weekend and good times with the homies. The track here is short, but it has a lot of what I need to work on. It's one of my favorites tracks just to do runs on, such good times. It was definitely good to be on a real downhill track and test things out, I have a few small changes I need to make. I think I learned more this weekend than I have in a long time."</p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan had a great time this weekend in the PNW and had this to say after his run. "My run started off a little bit wild. I went off track and into the bushes in the first corner. It smoothed out after that. I didn't hold enough speed int he flatter sections but I had heaps of fun. The little mistakes added up by the bottom. It was great fun having all the fans here. The testing I had this weekend will pay off for the World Cups coming up in June.</p><p>
</p><p>
Cheering here on the peninsula has been elevated to an art form, with hundreds of slightly inebriated race fans organizing with loudspeakers and giving each racer a unique, memorable cheer as they make their way down the fast, technical pacific northwest track at Dry Hill.</p><p>
</p><p>
All 3 riders rode their Demo Carbons this week as they returned to a "real" downhill track. Each rider was testing different setups that they plan to use for the first world cup in Fort William, Scotland in a few weeks time.</p><p>
</p><p>
Fans can look for Aaron Gwin to possibly make another appearance in Washington in 2 weeks time at the next Northwest Cup.</p>

More...