Quantcast

Portable generator advice... Honda GX390, GX340 or Costco?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I recently bought a 5th Wheel RV for my vacation property and plan on using it most weekends. I do have 50AMP service at the lake but the service is unreliable in the winter.

All I really need is about 3800 watts - this is what I bought Honda EM3800 for just under $2,000.00.

Then I found a PowerBoss (Briggs & Straton?) at Costco that uses the Honda GX390 and delivers 7000 watts and costs $1000.00.

What I need is a generator that will last for years, be easy to start and relatively maintenance free... I not overly concerned about the price but if I can save a $1000.00...

I have had tons of feedback on the Honda but nothing on the Power Boss.

Grassy Ass! :)

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
The honda is a hell of a lot quieter than the Briggs and Stratton. My grandpa has the honda and it is very quite. If you looking for peace & serenity, buy the honda.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
costco is really good about returning stuff if there is probs but if costco sells it it is a pretty good set up. those little gen sets will last a long time anyways. even if it does go out in a few years you can have it repaired and still be cheaper than the honda.

Does you 5th wheel have a genset cabinet? if so you can find better deals on big sets from RV dealerships

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The honda is a hell of a lot quieter than the Briggs and Stratton. My grandpa has the honda and it is very quite. If you looking for peace & serenity, buy the honda.
Its the same engine... I have heard the Honda and it is pretty quiet. I do have a fairly large shed that would serve as a sound barrier - no neighbors on 3 sides so that is not a concern.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
thats odd, most Rv have a cabinet on the front under the toungue. one thing you can do is enclose one of your cabinets to house your genset and run flex hose out for exhaust, then you wont even hear it.
Um yeah... there is one of those, this is my first RV so I don't know the lingo. :)

If its an internal combustion engine - I would not be comfortable sleeping on top of it.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I would go with the cheaper one cuz your gonna find other needs to spend your money on with RV life.

I have been living out of my 40 foot toyhauler and racing full time for the last 5 months. there is always some little doo dad that make life alot easier.
such as

tankless water heater
dual batteries
led bulbs
water filter
12 volt appliances (crock pot, toaster)

you get the idea

The Hondas are quiet and reliable. I have a lower quality unit that has been less than reliable, pieces vibrating off, gas tank leak (!)... and it's noisy.

Costco? You get what you pay for. Even if it's from a reputable name, corners have been cut to make the price.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
(collected elsewhere) "PowerBoss" is the trade name used by Briggs & Stratton for their price point generators. Briggs bought the powerboss line from Generac about two years ago, Coleman uses the trade name "Black Max" for their price point generators. These generators are built exclusively for warehouse vendors such as Costco and Sam’s Club. You’ll even find a few of these generators at Home Depot and on eBay.

I bet you could find a PowerBoss 7000 for 700 bucks on eBay right now. They are decent generators and are built to meet the price point set by the vendor and that is why they are such a good deal. It’s not unusual for Briggs & Stratton to use a Honda engine for these generators. Coleman uses Briggs & Stratton Intek and Vanguard engines as well as Robin/Subaru, Honda, Tecumseh and a few others on their "Black Max" series. All of the engines are legitimate in every respect.

Due to the slow hurricane season many "warehouse" vendors are faced with having to lower their prices to move inventory.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I decided on the Costco generator, it is a back up unit. Had I needed to use it more regularly I would have accepted delivery of the Honda. The Honda dealership wanted a 15% restocking fee. Lucky for me I didn't have anyone available for lifting it out of the Subaru and I didn't want to drive around all day with it in the back so I'd left it in the showroom. I didn't have to pay.

I did have to press the point a bit by stating that it was never removed from the dealership and was only "out of stock" for 36 hours. Besides that, they had at 3 more on the sales floor.

I did the final assembly of the unit today but have not started it up yet - I cannot find an all metal gas can anywhere... :monkey: