Quantcast

Porte just shy of a medal in first Worlds

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Australian Richie Porte finished fourth, just short of a medal in his first World Championships Thursday.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It is not nice to finish fourth, I am a bit sick of finishing fourth," said Porte, "but it was a quality field and I am honoured to finish so close."</p><p>
</p><p>
Porte's Saxo Bank team-mate, Swiss Fabian Cancellara won the 45.6-kilometre time trial and Brit David Millar finished with a silver medal in second. If Porte could have gained an extra seven seconds, he may have taken the bronze medal from German Tony Martin. </p><p>
</p><p>
The close finish took on greater importance for him and Australian Michael Rogers as they were racing on home soil.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It would have been nice for one of us to be on the podium given that we were racing in front of a home crowd. That advantage was more than 10 per cent for us, it was incredible to have so many people out there shouting your name. To see your name writing on the rode, it is an honour," said Porte.</p><p>
</p><p>
The shouting pushed Porte along. Over the second half of the course, he gained time on Martin, who suffered from a puncture.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I did not have a clue, there was no race radio. It is a good thing because it puts a human factor back into cycling. Though, maybe if I knew, I could have dug a little bit deeper," said Porte.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I did get one update from our coach, Brian Stevens, who was yelling from the follow car. Maybe I went out a little too hard at the start because I could not get into a rhythm on the second lap. There are a lot of areas I can work on."</p><p>
</p><p>
The fourth place added to a season of hard work that has already resulted in many fruits. Porte won the trial stage at the Tour de Romandie and at the Giro d'Italia, spent three days in the race lead, won the young rider competition and finished seventh overall.</p><p>
</p><p>
"For first year pro to finish fourth at the Worlds is not such a bad thing. I will take it," said Porte. "This time last year I was banging my head against the wall and looking for a pro ride. Thanks to [Saxo Bank team manager] Bjarne Riis, who gave me the opportunity."</p><p>
</p><p>
Porte returns to Europe next week to race for Saxo Bank and close out his season in a series of Italian one-day races.</p>

More...