Quantcast

Porter tasting

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
I'm hosting a porter tasting party at the end of the month. I just wanted some opinions as to what I should be serving for snacks. The party is after everyone's usual dinner time (7pm) so I don't want to serve a meal but just some snacks to complement the various flavors. Any porter drinkers here have suggestions?

Tanxxx

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Gotta have Anchor Porter too, I love that stuff.

Maybe something chocolate. It would be really cool to have a chocolate/chili thing like a mole chicken app or dip or something.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
stosh said:
make sure you serve Yuengling Porter, one of MY favorite beers.
C'mon Stoshly. That stuff is BARELY porter.
It's like light porter.
Sure it's cheap, but.... blech.
Nice porters? Whitbread, and Sierra.
Of course the Anchor stuff rules.
Otter Creek Stovepipe is nice if you like a smoky taste.
Damn. I wish i was going to a porter party.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mackie said:
C'mon Stoshly. That stuff is BARELY porter.
It's like light porter.
Sure it's cheap, but.... blech.
Nice porters? Whitbread, and Sierra.
Of course the Anchor stuff rules.
Otter Creek Stovepipe is nice if you like a smoky taste.
Damn. I wish i was going to a porter party.
Well I like it... I'm not a huge fan of porter which is probably why I'm comfortable drinking Yuengling's.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
valve bouncer said:
What's a porter tasting party? Is that just a fancy word for a piss-up?
It's where beer snobs drink beer and say things like "the brewer has done a fantastic job at staying true to style...the chocolate malt really balances the bitterness of the hops, are those Kent Goldings? Do I detect a slight Fuggles aroma?..."

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tenchiro said:
I prefer Black Butte Porter, that stuff is to die for.
out of the keg, hell yes.

out of a bottle is good too but not as good as the stuff I've had from the keg...

either way, when i'm drinkin beer of almost any kind, i'm not complainin.... :oink:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BikeGeek said:
It's where beer snobs drink beer and say things like "the brewer has done a fantastic job at staying true to style...the chocolate malt really balances the bitterness of the hops, are those Kent Goldings? Do I detect a slight Fuggles aroma?..."
Yeah, just as I suspected. ;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BikeGeek said:
Yeah, but that's just because we're a bunch of drunks who can't admit we like to get ****ed up! :D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm just bustin' on you. They're not all like that. I've actually been to a couple. The most interesting ones are when the brewmaster is there to talk about each beer. The most fun is when it's you and your boys picking up a couple of mixed twelves.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
So how exactly does a beer snob differ from a lot of the people on this forum when it comes to bikes??? I don't think it does, if you take an interest in something you start to know things about it and gradually try better quality products. Then when you talk about it you either sound like a nerd, and ass, or both.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
GumbaFish said:
So how exactly does a beer snob differ from a lot of the people on this forum when it comes to bikes???
The "beer snobs" I've come across don't know jack about beer. They show up to the tasting in khakis and a blazer and regurgitate whatever garbage they've read about each sample.