Quantcast

Porterville

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How is Porterville? Is there much riding there or close? How is the town? I have been offered a job there.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Porterville is in the central Valley at the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. There seems like there could be some really great riding in the Sierras there, but I've no idea what exactly.

Its not exactly So-cal. So if your expecting nightlife and hotties, you'll be very disappointed;)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I can't say that I've ever been there that I can remember, but if it's anything like the rest of the central valley it's pretty quiet, lots of agriculture, seasonal immigration and such. Something about that part of california makes me a little uneasy though, like there's a lot of social conflicts that people are trying to hide when somebody from out of town drives through.

Edit:

I just did a quick search and found http://myopr.com/ the local newspaper. The front page had the following local briefs:

*Police chase man in car, then on foot
*Porterville man given 25 years to life
*St. Jude Dream Home tickets on sale Feb. 15
*2 arrested following traffic stop
*Man hospitalized after assault
*Local jewelry store burglarized Sunday

out of 6 stories 5 were crime related, form your own opinions.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thanks for the info. I thought $55 an hour and a $17,500 sign on bonus was too good to be true. They wanted me to work in the local hospital.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I lived there for a few years, great place if you like:

fly fishing
hunting
cowboys/cowgirls
poor white trash
poor mexican trash
inexpensive housing
zero night life (unless you count Wal-Mart)
no traffic
winter fog from hell
summer heat from hell

You'd like like a king there for that kind of money though, and it's only a 45 minute drive from Visalia, which is actually pretty nice and is the only civilization around.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
You should look at the map. Yeah, Porterville has some of the same urban problems a lot of towns have. But you'd also be awfully close to the Sierra Nevadas and riding, fishing, camping, hunting, rafting, etc. Not such a bad place if you like to do outdoor stuff. Summers are hot and winters are foggy, but maybe the other folks posting here didn't notice you live in Montana.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
HarryCallahan said:
Yeah, Porterville has some of the same urban problems a lot of towns have.
"Urban"?!

The closest Porterville gets to "urban" is suburban housing development. I remember driving through town on a Saturday night, four of us in the cab of a single-cab pickup, my cowboy buddy with his bare butt against the windshield trying to get it on with a girl we picked up in the nicest bar in town 30 minutes earlier. She was all for it, and this was driving down main street with street lights and everything. If anyone saw they didn't care, just cowboys & cowgirls out having fun on a Saturday night. That's Porterville, small and a little rough around the edges. Ah, the fond memories...
:p

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Hey, I didn't say Porterville was urban. I said, based on the crime report above, it has urban problems. Can't say I've lived there, as you have, but I'm familiar with the place. Do you think they've got cowboys in Kalispell?