Quantcast

Portland area trails/djs

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
I am visiting the family down in Wilsonville over Christmas (22-26th) and was wondering if anyone has any rides or dj sessions in the works. I have heard good things about Post Canyon, but have never been. Also, what I would really like is if someone could point me in the direction of some good dirt jumps in the Portland area or relatively close that are worth it. So, if anyone wants to do some jumping or riding hit me up.. I will for sure be up for it.

Jake

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The sad thing is just about everything around here is too wet to ride.... If the weather is good when you're here some DJ's might be ridable, and if it's dry for a week or so in advance Post Canyon could be ridable. It all depends on the weather.

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
Zane,thanks for the info. A few questions....So Post Canyon isn't rideable at all this time of year, i.e. not rideable in the wet? And just out of curiousity are there a lot of different dj spots in the area? I guess I will hope for some nice weather. Either way I would like to go out and see some of the dirt jump areas if possible...

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Post canyon in the wet would not worth the trip since there are no real natural features and all the stunts are made out of 2x4s which get very slick in the wet, but there are trails around that are lots of fun in the winter as long as you arnt afraid of a little mud. What kind of bike are you going to have down there? If its something light enough to climb with id suggest larch mountain which is a great trail in the winter. Its normally shuttlable, but if the snowlevel is low enough that doesnt work. Other possibilities i can think of are syncline in hood river(never ridden there but i know its usually dry and heard its lots of fun) or maybe wildcat on the way up to mt hood if theres no snow. That would be pretty tough in the wet because of its steepness, but probably doable.

Also, unless something new has popped up there really arnt any great dj areas unless you want bmxstyle big steep doubles which can be found at the grotto in portland.

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
eknomf said:
Also, unless something new has popped up there really arnt any great dj areas unless you want bmxstyle big steep doubles which can be found at the grotto in portland.
Yeah, this is what I am looking for. Can someone PM me directions? Thanks also for the trail recommedations. I am going to bring both my dj bike and my big bike (Dirtbag). My Dirtbag has a single ring, but I with a little suffering can be made to go uphill. I don't mind mud at all, and since I am so close to hood river I may try and hit it up in the wet and see what it is like... Thanks...

Jake

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The Grotto is at SE 92nd and Skidmore. The road dead ends at a cul-de-sac at the base of Rocky Butte, up against I 205.
Give me a call and I'll show you.
Tim Parker
cell (503) 307-3586

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
TWISTED said:
The Grotto is at SE 92nd and Skidmore. The road dead ends at a cul-de-sac at the base of Rocky Butte, up against I 205.
Give me a call and I'll show you.
Tim Parker
cell (503) 307-3586
Thanks. I will do that. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. See you later.

Jake

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
i want to ride too.... give me a call and i can show you some trails.
360-896-9806
EDIT: It looks like you might be in luck weather-wise. Its supposed to be dry in hood river until friday so post canyon might be ridable
Ryan

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
Thanks everyone for the directions. The Grotto was pretty fun. Took a little while to get used to the jumps being so close together. Fortunately some other mtbs showed up and gave me some local knowledge that helped a lot.

Sorry Twisted for never getting back to you about Friday's ride... My wife wasn't too excited about me riding 2 full days in a row. Maybe next time... I still have your number.

Thanks.

Jake