Quantcast

Portland guys, who is your ISP

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm buying a house and will be moving in about 6 weeks, I'm currently using Comcast which is fine but I'd like something cheaper and I don't really need anything faster than 1.5mbps. The house we are buying appears to be in an area where the only telephone company is Qwest, looking at their DSL plans they are a couple dollars more than Comcast. I have had bad experiences with Qwest in the past anyway so I'd like to avoid them if possible. When I lived in San Diego we got DSL for $19/mo through ATT, there was a plan for $14/mo if I'd signed a 2 year contract with no requirements to have a $40 voice package. That's the plan I'd really like to have again, can anybody point me in the direction of a comparable plan offered by Qwest or some independent ISP that will supply the DSL connection without having to deal with Qwest at all?

I'm buying a house and will be moving in about 6 weeks, I'm currently using Comcast which is fine but I'd like something cheaper and I don't really need anything faster than 1.5mbps. The house we are buying appears to be in an area where the only telephone company is Qwest, looking at their DSL plans they are a couple dollars more than Comcast.
I moved away from Oregon almost 3 years ago - but I stay in contact with tech-industry people I knew there - and Comcast is going to be your best bet in terms of cost and speed delivery, based on what I know.
The only DSL I've seen that allows you to not use your local phone company as ISP is Speakeasy's OneLink service - but that starts out at $55.95/mo for only 1.5/384 service.
Qwest offered us a promo plan then overbilled us every month for about nine months before we cancelled them because I was tired of hassling on the phone for 20+ minutes every month to get things sorted out. I considered sending them an invoice at my billable rate for my photo business ;-)
Do NOT deal with Clearwire either - they are the new "wifi broadband" company and it took me weeks of hassles and missed deadlines and packet tests and dealing with Tier 1 techs who didn't comprehend even basic Internet technology before I was able to prove to them that they were not delivering as promised so that I could get out of my contract.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I moved away from Oregon almost 3 years ago - but I stay in contact with tech-industry people I knew there - and Comcast is going to be your best bet in terms of cost and speed delivery, based on what I know.
The only DSL I've seen that allows you to not use your local phone company as ISP is Speakeasy's OneLink service - but that starts out at $55.95/mo for only 1.5/384 service.
Qwest offered us a promo plan then overbilled us every month for about nine months before we cancelled them because I was tired of hassling on the phone for 20+ minutes every month to get things sorted out. I considered sending them an invoice at my billable rate for my photo business ;-)
Do NOT deal with Clearwire either - they are the new "wifi broadband" company and it took me weeks of hassles and missed deadlines and packet tests and dealing with Tier 1 techs who didn't comprehend even basic Internet technology before I was able to prove to them that they were not delivering as promised so that I could get out of my contract.
Great, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear. Why is internet so expensive in Portland? This is 2007, there's no reason to be paying more for the same service I could have gotten in 2003.

I'm a little dissapointed to hear I'm not the only one who has been screwed by Qwest, I'm suprised the PUC allows them to stay in business. I don't think I've ever met a satisfied Qwest customer, I'm suprised they can stay in business at all, Comcast is cheaper and faster and has better service and they don't bill 3 times the promised rate.