Quantcast

Portland, Maine

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
The Front Room for breakfast, on Congress St.

Vignola's. Italian place.

Haven't been to DuckFat, but after looking at the menu, Holy Crap, we're going next time up there! (in-laws are close to Portland) Pooooouuuuuuutine!

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The Porthole has great breakfast, lunch and outdoor seating on a wharf. I've never gone for dinner.
Fore Street is excellent but pricey and reservations are required. Worth the effort.
I'd hit Porthole for breakfast, Duckfat for lunch/snack and Fore Street for dinner.

Don't let the lines @ becky's fool you into thinking its anything special. Middling diner fare is all they offer.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Fore Street is one of the best.
Duckfat is awesome for lunch. Not much seating, and can get very busy.
Hugo's is just down the street from Duckfat. It's my choice for fine eats. Rob Evans is a James Beard winner.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Portland has no shortage of places to get good beer. It comes with the **** weather.
My dining sampler would facilitate dawn>dusk drinking, fwiw.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Anyone been to the Great Lost Bear? How is it? Worth going to if we want to have a couple of cold tops? Impressive beer selection.
The Great Lost Bear isn't a place I would ever go, but there is nothing wrong with it if you want to try it out.

This is a newish place that's all about beer : http://novareresbiercafe.com/ It's kinda hard to find.

I can also point you to the dives if you want something different. :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Anyone been to the Great Lost Bear? How is it? Worth going to if we want to have a couple of cold tops? Impressive beer selection.
As much as you like beer, definitely go to the Lost Bear. Have a few there, and eat dinner somewhere else. A stop at the Sebago Brewpub on Middle Street for pints of Frye's Leap IPA and Boathouse Brown is also recommended.

Fancy Dinner - 555, Hugo's, Fore Street, Street & Co, Bresca.
Regular Dinner - Susans Fish and Chips, Caiola's, Front Room, Flatbread.

Lobster - Lobster Shack Cape Elizabeth
Lobster Roll - Falmouth Sea Grill

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
IAB might be dissappointed:

You MUST do breakfast at Ruski's. You can also start your drinkin there at the same time! Here's a review:
http://theportlandbreakfastclub.blogspot.com/2007/12/dining-date-12.html

Other than that. If I went back, I would definitely go back to Brian Boru's for a Guinness,
Sebago Brewing for decent food/brew, $3 Deweys for the hell of it, Bull Feeneys for another Guinness, then just walk around until you find something you like.....there's really a lot between congress and the waterfront. fore street, wharf street.

Man, I need to get back up there.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
As much as you like beer, definitely go to the Lost Bear. Have a few there, and eat dinner somewhere else. A stop at the Sebago Brewpub on Middle Street for pints of Frye's Leap IPA and Boathouse Brown is also recommended.

Fancy Dinner - 555, Hugo's, Fore Street, Street & Co, Bresca.
Regular Dinner - Susans Fish and Chips, Caiola's, Front Room, Flatbread.

Lobster - Lobster Shack Cape Elizabeth
Lobster Roll - Falmouth Sea Grill
The Cycling Gourmet has spoken. If you need to find a restaurant in the Northeast, just ask berkshire_rider.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I would recommend flatbreads for lunch, they have an interesting array or organic food and the view is great.

However I do recommend staying away from the waterfront if you see a cruise ship docked.

If it was me I of course would take a ferry trip to Peaks Island. The Inn on Peaks Island has a very comfortable restaurant with the usual selection of beers and good eats. The island itself is beautiful and the ferry ride is a well worth the $7. Also on the island is the Cock Eyed Gull which has some pretty amazing food and a great view. Not sure what you're looking to do but you can rent a bike on the island and spend a 1/2 hr taking a bike ride on the loop road around the island.

Someone said Becky's isn't great but the food is good and by far the greatest fruit salad I've ever had.

Also Portland has an huge amount of Thai restaurants to choose from, you almost can't go wrong.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Lost Bear is great for beer.

Fore Street Restaurant is awesome. My sister actually worked there for a little while - great food.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Fore street is phenomenal. There was an article on boston.com about the best lobster shacks in the east, plenty in the mainular area.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Everything is lobster in Maine.. but its not that much cheaper.. Hotdog carts in the streets sel lobster rolls for $13.. I belive maine is the only place in the country that McDonalds changes their menu to serve Lobster..

Have fun!!

Recap:

Sunday lunch - Moat Mountain Brewery in North Conway on our way to Maine. Very yummy food and beer!

Sunday dinner: Demillos - IAB had crab stuffed lobster and I had the Haddock, shrimp, scallop combo (both were awesome) oh and we both had clam chowder

Monday lunch: Gritty McDuffs in Freeport - good beer, good food.

Monday Snack: Great lost bear (dark and the service sucked but they had every Allagash on tap)

(side trip to Allagash brewery retail store - too late for the tour)

Monday Dinner: Joe's Boathouse (local recommended) - it was AWESOME!

Monday Dessert: Sea Dog Brewery - surprisingly impressive beer selection and although we considered going there for breakfast, we did not (yep, BREAKFAST)

Tuesday Lunch: Shipyard Brewery cafe in Eliot, ME on our way South. Beer and food were both Mediocre - don't need to go there again....

Tuesday snack: tried to stop at Smuttynose on the way home but they don't have a retail store and tours only on Thurs/Fri - booooo!!

Tuesday dinner - Home :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Going to Fore Street for our anniversary. Thanks for the recommendation RM.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Fore street was great! Probably one of the nicest meals my wife and I ever ate together.
I wasn't super happy with the menu the day we went, seems like they had a lot of Faux Gras which doesn't really appeal to either of us. My wife went with the baked lobster and I had the flank steak neither of us were disappointed. There was a wait to get on the wait list but we got there early and got in rather quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion RM.
We almost went to the duckfat restaurant but we went to our old standby next door instead; Norm's BBQ.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Never been to norm's but duckfat was just "ok". The fries were good but I didn't notice anything more specialer compared to good regular fries, and the sandwiches were par, nothing better.

Glad to hear fore street was good to you... we always walk in and put our name in then go for a walk around town and come back in the prescribed amount of time...no trouble yet. To be honest, I've felt like their quality has gone a bit downhill...the first meal I had there was among the top 5 I've ever had, the subsequent two were good but just OK, not mind-blowing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This information is incorrect. I went into a McDonalds on Oahu and there was no spam on the menu.
The one in Waikiki had it last time I was there. They also had a Linguica omlet with rice for breakfast. I did not have either.

<edit> As a side note, I gained 3 pounds this weekend eating good eats in Portland, OR. I got 4lbs of brisket from Reo's to bring home, too. I wanted to get some ribs, too. But they don't keep as well as the brisket.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Never been to norm's but duckfat was just "ok". The fries were good but I didn't notice anything more specialer compared to good regular fries, and the sandwiches were par, nothing better.

Glad to hear fore street was good to you... we always walk in and put our name in then go for a walk around town and come back in the prescribed amount of time...no trouble yet. To be honest, I've felt like their quality has gone a bit downhill...the first meal I had there was among the top 5 I've ever had, the subsequent two were good but just OK, not mind-blowing.
Norm's is just basic BBQ. Nothing fantastic but always good. :)

We had a nice seat and we had a lot to drink so the food tasted great.
Why are you in Portland so much?