Quantcast

Portland or San Francisco?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I am looking to spend a few months somewhere new this year. Portland is an easy option because it's close to home. I'm thinking San Francisco would have a lot more to offer though. Thoughts?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depends on what you are looking to do. There are a lot of awesome shows going on right now and you know how much powder Mt Hood has this year.

Neither place has the best weather, but you know that already.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Depends on what you are looking to do. There are a lot of awesome shows going on right now and you know how much powder Mt Hood has this year.

Neither place has the best weather, but you know that already.
I disagree. After the winter/spring rains leave, you will see maybe one day of rain for the entire summer/fall in SF.

Personally, I prefer Portland for easy living, but SF is the most beautiful American city.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"The magic is in the hole":busted:

That has to be the best business motto ever!
At 3am after a show, a custard filled chocolate donut covered in Count Chocula cereal is THE BEST THING EVER.

Their coffee kick ass too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
:rofl:

SF is a fvcking urinal. Even Oakland smells better.
1. Cross the GG Bridge on a sunny afternoon.
2. Drive up to Twin Peaks any time.
3. Walk along the beach.
4. Ride thru Pacific Heights.

Stop hanging around Market Street.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Stop hanging around Market Street.
I dunno. Every time I'm in the city, it seems like the whole town smells.

Of course, up here in Santa Rosa, in the summer, when the county fair is on, the whole town smells like a cattle stall.

:D

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Portland is just a poor mans SF anyway...if you can afford SF I would go there.

I can't argue with Voodoo Donuts or Mt Hood though (170"+ base depth right now).

Actually, I can't argue with the fact SF smells like a sewer either.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i'd go to san fran over portland . san fran is a pretty happening city alot of sh*t there to do and the ridden is kick ass for what ever type of riding you do.there's a dh scene up there check out ridesf.com i think that's the website.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Defeat so easily by a fleece and a wool baseball cap.

Try winter camping in Lake Placid for the coldest winter...
I was just poking fun. I love SF, but I haven't been there in a very long time. I spent many a weekend there skating, going to gigs, being a typical wasted youth from '86 to '90.

Portland is awesome because you can walk from one end of downtown to the other in about an hour. If you're lazy, just catch the MAX or Streetcar because downtown is free (soon to change, though).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I still prefer Portland because I have a lot of friends and it is very chill. But for a short, touristy, visit, you might prefer SF and the entire Bay Area.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still prefer Portland because I have a lot of friends and it is very chill. But for a short, touristy, visit, you might prefer SF and the entire Bay Area.
I miss Berkley, but my dad says it's not how I remember it. He used to teach there and still grades papers for them every so often.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I miss Berkley, but my dad says it's not how I remember it. He used to teach there and still grades papers for them every so often.
I don't care for living in the Bay Area and I much rather live in Portland.

But for a short visit, I think SF is more varied.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i vote portland. then again, i like the place enough that it's my top pick for the next 5 years...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I spent 4 days in Portland. Good times. Going to the Bay Area next week to check that out. Should be fun!