Quantcast

Portland Question

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
One of my best friends and his wife just moved back to Portland from San Diego and they've totally sold me on the city. I'm headed out there in mid-late Sep. to look around and maybe not leave. :D

My question is about the local riding and riding season. Is there DH that is quick and easy to get to (20-30min drive)? You don't need to reveal you spots, I'm just wondering if it's there. What type of DH do you have? I've seen tons of photos of North Shorish stuff, but what about rocky, tech, or high speed Dh trails? Also, can you ride year round or is it pretty much coming to an end in the next few months? Is there a local race scene?

Thanks in advance and you never know, I could be your neighbor pretty soon.

Mar 7, 2005
There isn't much with in 20-30 min. But once you get 45 plus min. out you start to hit alot of good trails and fr/dh areas. There was a F/R area in one of the local parks but it got torn down. :( We are working on getting it back though. There is a really good race organization called OBRA. Check it out at www.obra.org. As for the race seasson, once you hit mid november it turns to the ski/snowboard seasson. And all of the good dh courses are on the mountains. Hope this helps.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
ncrider said:
One of my best friends and his wife just moved back to Portland from San Diego and they've totally sold me on the city. I'm headed out there in mid-late Sep. to look around and maybe not leave. :D

My question is about the local riding and riding season. Is there DH that is quick and easy to get to (20-30min drive)? You don't need to reveal you spots, I'm just wondering if it's there. What type of DH do you have? I've seen tons of photos of North Shorish stuff, but what about rocky, tech, or high speed Dh trails? Also, can you ride year round or is it pretty much coming to an end in the next few months? Is there a local race scene?

Thanks in advance and you never know, I could be your neighbor pretty soon.
I think your talking about Jones Creek up east of Vancouver in WA.
They used to have DH races there and it's within about 30 min drive.
Downhill rocky trails.
Mt Hood Ski Bowl is less than an hour from Portland with lift access.
There is also the run down from Timberline on Mt Hood, The Glade trail. Rocky and fast.
Click "my photos" below to check out me riding some more local stuff.
Tim

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
TWISTED said:
I think your talking about Jones Creek up east of Vancouver in WA.
They used to have DH races there and it's within about 30 min drive.
Downhill rocky trails.
Mt Hood Ski Bowl is less than an hour from Portland with lift access.
There is also the run down from Timberline on Mt Hood, The Glade trail. Rocky and fast.
Click "my photos" below to check out me riding some more local stuff.
Tim
Your photos look sick. If that's you in the shots then you're killing it. Those spots look great as well.

Yeah, so my question wasn't about any spot in particular. What I'm really trying to ask is if you live in Portland or a nearby suberb, is it possible to do a few quick DH runs before or after work. I know there is epic stuff if time isn't an issue, but what about the quicki-midweek-two hours before work runs or just before dark stuff. Do you guys have that? The stuff thats keeps you sane throughout the work week.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
ncrider said:
Your photos look sick. If that's you in the shots then you're killing it. Those spots look great as well.

Yeah, so my question wasn't about any spot in particular. What I'm really trying to ask is if you live in Portland or a nearby suberb, is it possible to do a few quick DH runs before or after work. I know there is epic stuff if time isn't an issue, but what about the quicki-midweek-two hours before work runs or just before dark stuff. Do you guys have that? The stuff thats keeps you sane throughout the work week.
Thanks. Yeah, that's me.
I live just outside of downtown Portland and try to ride to work everyday (except when I have a broken right hand :nuts: ) After work I often go rip around downtown up and down the waterfront. There is even some lift access DH runs downtown as well. There is time during the summer months to drive out to the real good stuff after work, We usually just grab the little bikes and head to one of the dirt jump spots.
The new indoor BMX track just added some skatepark style stunts in addition to the bmx track and will be open nightly till 11:30.

So, sure, there is riding to be had. We try to save the best stuff for the weekends though.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
TWISTED said:
We usually just grab the little bikes and head to one of the dirt jump spots.
The new indoor BMX track just added some skatepark style stunts in addition to the bmx track and will be open nightly till 11:30.
where are those dirt jumps? and what/where is the bmx track?

DHDogg

Chimp
Apr 15, 2005
Basically there are lots of spots to ride, but not much dh style stuff that is super close. We usually have to drive 45+ mins to get the juicy stuff in. jones cr is 30 mins away, depending on what part of the city you are in. You can hit Wash park with a little max ride. D. Jumps are really becoming more available in different sections of the city, grotto, Meldrum, W.linn, Forest grove etc.

Regardless it is a cool town full of bikes and lots of beers!!

check out www.westsidefreeride.com for any info or questions, and a good place to post pix

-DHD-