Quantcast

PORTLAND Thread

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Ryan, your friend could get Jason's set up and his 888r for $1,200. You should tell him about that.

I want all the Portland locals to know about the new indoor BMX track opening up in Milwaukie, OR. It should be a lot more fun than trying to ride skate parks like I did last winter. They allow pretty much anything with 24" or 26" tires to race the "cruiser" class, so you can run a hardtail mtb if you like. I expect they'll have plenty of practice nights as well.
Remember, all the big time mountainbike guys used to race bmx. Find out why.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I'm thinking about getting the scream because the massive standover on my kona is starting to get to me. It's fine when I'm riding but when I want to put a foot down on a skinny I'm screwed. It might happen, nothing's set in stone at the moment...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
zane said:
I'm thinking about getting the scream because the massive standover on my kona is starting to get to me. It's fine when I'm riding but when I want to put a foot down on a skinny I'm screwed. It might happen, nothing's set in stone at the moment...
have you looked at the transition dirtbag? cheaper and a bit lighter, if you want to stick in the kona-design world

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
yeah those look pretty nice... but why not try a different suspension design? There really isnt anything that great about the kona one. If you still want a scream though i might get rid of mine sometime soon in favor of something a bit lighter because i actually have to pedal up hills here and it sucks on a heavy bike.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
eknomf said:
yeah those look pretty nice... but why not try a different suspension design? There really isnt anything that great about the kona one. If you still want a scream though i might get rid of mine sometime soon in favor of something a bit lighter because i actually have to pedal up hills here and it sucks on a heavy bike.
I'd consider your frame if it wasn't a medium, a large scream feels perfect to me. Chris's is a large, I like the way it rides and I can get a pretty good deal on it. I'll then sell my kona frame with the jr.t I still have laying around and make the money back that I spent on the frame.

I would like to get a "different" frame design- I'd ride just about anything if it's the right size and has good feeling travel...... and has semi-low standover. But I really don't want to spend that much money at the moment and good deals for cool frames are kinda hard to find. I also need to build a new computer so my spare funds for the near future are devoted to that. If I don't end up with the scream I'll look around for another good deal. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Would you be interested in trading for a 2002 Norco team DH. It is a warranty replacement frame with very low hours. Adjustable travel, 6", 7", 0r 8" with a vanilla rc. It's White with a red fsr link rear and comes with a 150 x 12 gold Hadley hub laced up to a doubletrack rim.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
eknomf said:
anybody want to ride tonight, tomorrow, or sometime this week?
Tonight? What're you talking about Ryan?
Did the Canada kick you out? Or did you just get thrown out of college?

Maybe I'll ride with you later this week.
Tim

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
TWISTED said:
Tonight? What're you talking about Ryan?
Did the Canada kick you out? Or did you just get thrown out of college?

Maybe I'll ride with you later this week.
Tim

I've had exams for the last two weeks so i havent got to ride at all. I'm back in Vancouver (WA) now until the 3rd. And tonight would be perfect for a little bit of urban.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Alright PDX monkeys... it is Friday the 14th, and apparently there are 5 inches of snow covering the trails at Falls City, which I was planning on riding tomorrow. So, what are my other options right now. The snow is gonna suck this weekend, so snowboarding is out. Anything up near portland in any kind of shape to ride right now? Wildcat? Post Canyon? Is there anything in Eastern Oregon worthy of a road trip?

Help me out. A message today would be great so I know where to go by the morning.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
sam_little said:
Alright PDX monkeys... it is Friday the 14th, and apparently there are 5 inches of snow covering the trails at Falls City, which I was planning on riding tomorrow. So, what are my other options right now. The snow is gonna suck this weekend, so snowboarding is out. Anything up near portland in any kind of shape to ride right now? Wildcat? Post Canyon? Is there anything in Eastern Oregon worthy of a road trip?

Help me out. A message today would be great so I know where to go by the morning.
The best riding this winter is at the indoor bmx track in Milwaukie. Grab your hardtail and race the MTB class.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I googled it... didn't come up with what I was looking for. Do you have to be an ABA member for insurance reasons? One day licenses? What kind of track terrain, i.e. is it small jumps and lots of flat, or big tables/doubles and such? I know I'm not the only one that finds it difficult to keep speed on flat tracks. -S

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
sam_little said:
I googled it... didn't come up with what I was looking for. Do you have to be an ABA member for insurance reasons? One day licenses? What kind of track terrain, i.e. is it small jumps and lots of flat, or big tables/doubles and such? I know I'm not the only one that finds it difficult to keep speed on flat tracks. -S
I don't know what they are gonna do about racing licenses if you're on a mtb. I assume they will want you to purchase a cruiser class (24") ABA card.
The track has a really tall starting hill with big, steep, berms that allow you to take the corners at full speed without slowing. There are 5 and a half straight-aways, none of the straights are just flat, as you worried about. You can roll the whole track without getting your tires off the ground, except the split optional pro-section with two dirt jump style gap doubles. There are three straights of rythym sections with singles, doubles, small tables, and step ups. You will find that you can gain speed through a section of jumps if you know how to pump. I can do most tracks quite well, including jumping some doubles, without ever pedaling once, just using the "pump" technique.

For more info check out my thread about the race and there's the email address of the people putting on the race.

Also send a PM to some of the people who race their mtb's on bmx tracks up north. They have a thread of their own.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Hack said:
I went to check it out and let my kid's watch but i didn't see any MTB's.

Were you there?
I'll try to make it out there tomorrow. I'm still all busted up from my crash Wednesday.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Corvally group headed out to PC tomorrow to take the Falls City skills on the road. Someone show up and show us around?!

Anyone know what conditions are like? Trying to decide on clipless (dry) or flats (slick as shick).

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Charlie,
I do remember. I still have your number, but after Wildcat I got really busy and was in the field for school for a few months... thus not calling. I've been going out to FC quite a bit as of late, but I killed my shoulder today up in PC, so I may be off the bike for a while. Hopefully not, but we'll see what the x-ray has to say about it tomorrow. I'll send you a PM or give you a call the next time I'm able to make it out riding at FC. Cheers.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Zane:
Conditions were perfect. No mud, tacky trails, dry stunts, etc. The road up is a little puddled towards the top, but no problem. The trails really were great.

I had two bad wrecks, but I don't know the trail names so description is difficult. One was off of the the wooden hip after a teeter-to-g-out, a little before the big drop to wooden landing (that probably took a forest of wood to build). I pitched forward, over-rotated, and landed on my head rather fast. My neck is still tweaked from that, but the shoulder pain is helping me keep the pain in my neck off my mind.

I killed my shoulder on the stupid wooden vert-style launch ramp at the bottom of the section they used for the gorge games. I don't know who built that thing, but they obviously didn't think it through. I've seen some awfully talented riders hit that ramp, and nobody hits it clean. Anyway, I looped out in the air and did a pile driver on my shoulder. The health center folks think its a partial shoulder separation with associated muscle damage. So, it should be a month or two of physical therapy before I'm good, unless they called it wrong.

Whatever, maybe now I'll actually work on my thesis and get the hell out of grad school.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Though I have not ridden in a while some of you may remember me.....

my question is are the trails in camas completely gone now? IS the road gap even there anymore?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Almost all of the leadbetter stuff is still there, you just have to cut through someone's yard to get to it. Remember where the top of superman was? There's a row of houses there now..... This was as of last weekend.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Is superman the drop at the top of the steep hill or the table below it? Or am i just completely wrong? If its the lower one i cant imagine they built houses down there... too steep. You should go ride PC or Wildcat or something instead... even if there is still that stuff at leadbetter its not worth it.

Also - Zane - I think its time you come up and break your new bike in on the shore. The trails have been perfect lately and some of them may be getting logged soon.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
do not get me wrong i amnot saying leadbetter in the state it is compares to wildcat or PC but leadbetter is 15 minutes away. all i wanted to do was hit some jumps and there are a few fun ones at leadbetter.

plus i have not ridden in a while and I do not want to ride with a bunch of people and embarass myself.......especially the WILDCAT crew!

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
It is good to hear that you are finally going to get back on your bike. Not much left at leadbetter except Murph land is still there and built up quite a bit since you proably last been there it is easy to clear all of them but if you haven't been riding in a while I wouldn't do them. Not much out there to warm up on anymore.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
gunslingger said:
do not get me wrong i amnot saying leadbetter in the state it is compares to wildcat or PC but leadbetter is 15 minutes away. all i wanted to do was hit some jumps and there are a few fun ones at leadbetter.

plus i have not ridden in a while and I do not want to ride with a bunch of people and embarass myself.......especially the WILDCAT crew!
Yeah from what ive heard theres not much left for local riding... but maybe new things have been built since i last rode there. I want to do some trailbuilding somewhere close in this summer once i get back if anyone is interested or has some projects i can help on.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I was talking to Jason the other day, and he was there a couple weeks ago. ALL the jumps are still there, the superman (the jump at the top of the hill) is there too but there's a house about 50 feet away. You have to cut through someone's yard to get to it.

Ryan- remember when we were there with toshi last July? Nothing has changed since then..... NOTHING at all.

jordanator62

Chimp
Mar 25, 2005
SW Portland, OR
yes! a portland thread. i live in sw portland, and mostly ride the zoo, because i go to lincoln high, and the shuttle and all that. just got a new bike, so ill be up there almost every weekend. and some days after school. hope to seen some of you up there.

jordanator62

Chimp
Mar 25, 2005
SW Portland, OR
thats awesome! do they have open track, or do you have to take a class, and how much does it cost? when its dry, we should go hit up the zoo, or at least when it stops raining. do you know where bridlemile school is? we are currently building some smaller stuff over there, like a 7 foot ladder drop, a big hip, and a few 10 foot doubles. its pretty sweet.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Does anyone want to ride this coming weekend? I'll probably go out to Post Canyon or something one day and ride somewhere closer like larch mtn the other. Im also starting to work on some dirt jumps in vancouver if anyone wants to dig or ride. Theres one set that is jumpable now, but they are getting better.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
eknomf said:
Does anyone want to ride this coming weekend? I'll probably go out to Post Canyon or something one day and ride somewhere closer like larch mtn the other. Im also starting to work on some dirt jumps in vancouver if anyone wants to dig or ride. Theres one set that is jumpable now, but they are getting better.
I want to ride! :D